SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
VolvoXC90Inscription’s Thread

Firstly, I want to thank everybody participating in this forum. I have been following this forum for the last year and I really learned a lot from your experiences and posts.

Secondly, I received my XC90 yesterday and I want to share some of my thoughts. I will not repeat the points that have been discussed so far – I fully agree that it’s an amazing car – I will try to cover what I have experienced or observed since I received the car. I will try to update this tread (and the points below) as needed that others can hear my experiences.

The car is (USA): Volvo XC90 2016 Inscription - Onyx Black - Vision/Convenience Package - HUD - 4C Air Suspension - Center Booster Cushion

Accessories that I ordered from internet (cheaper): Plastic floor & trunk mat – Mudflaps - Load Carrier (wing profile)

7/18/2015-7/19/2015 Notes:
- The car has its own mind (not in a bad way). There are several rules that you need to learn; but until you learn the rules, you question if there is a technical problem, e.g., lowering air suspension from the trunk will not work if a door is open. There will be a constant learning process; you have to be patient.
- Acceleration is amazing, even in the economy mode
- Pilot assist is amazing; I tested it twice in heavy highway traffic. As long as there are road marks and the traffic is slow, the car takes care of everything.
- There are many different options under “settings”; the factory settings are nicely selected that you really don’t need to change most of them.
- Volvo on call application works well; the most useful feature is searching destinations using your phone, and then sending it to your car.
- Inscription leather is really high quality but it will need extra care; it may not be the right option for everybody.

A couple of important points:
- When your car arrives check all the windows. Today I discovered that one of the rear doors’ small window is not tinted.
7/20/15 Update: The dealer ordered the glass today, which will arrive tomorrow. He really apologized on behalf of Volvo North America.
7/23/15 Update: The glass was replaced in less than 2 hours with no complications.

- Today I also discovered that the 120v socket in the tunnel console is missing. I am not sure if my car is supposed to have this feature but I thought it was part of the package.
7/20/15 Update: The dealer told me that 120v socket is not available in US models.

- Another discovery today was a possible missing cover box on the left side of the driver’s area, near the handle to open the hood. I think it is the computer connection socket. You can directly see the socket and other metal stuff. I have a feeling that somebody forgot to put it back.
7/20/15 Update: The dealer told me that this socket does not have a cover.

When you are paying for the car, they go over many different extended warranty options. It can be easier to ask for these options in advance that you can review them carefully before the pick-up. It’s difficult to make decisions at the last second; I had no intention to accept them, however I thought some of then can be useful after fully understanding the rules. I need time to investigate them better.

7/22/15 Note:
- Highway MPG: I was very happy to see 28.8 mpg today under the following conditions: Reset the Trip Computer while traveling 55-60 mph with Adaptive Cruise Control > Economy Mode > Air Condition on (75 degrees) > Non-stop driving for 30 mins. Other important points: I was the only person in the car - regular gas - only 100 miles on the car. I know that this is not a common driving set up but it shows that highway MPG can be better than 25 if you push for it. Comments are welcome.

7/23/15 Note:
- Opticoat plus applied by Greg (Signature Detailing) (he is amazing and strongly recommended)

7/25/15 Note:
- Crossbars Installed

Full Interior Child Protection :): Plastic trunk mat + Plastic winter floor mat + CQuartz Leather & Vinyl for the seats + Black & Decker PAV1200W 12-Volt Cyclonic-Action Vacuum Cleaner + Brita Deluxe Kick Mats + Brica Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector

7/25/15 Question:
- Do US non-FE cars have automatic locking activation/deactivation function? As per the manual, the function exists: "Settings > My car > Locking > Select Auto Door Locking". I cannot find this option in my menu.
- 7/29/15 Update: Others confirmed that this function does not exist. As far as my observations and forum posts, the following features are missing in non-FE US models, they all mentioned in the manual (not as an option), and there is no official word from Volvo: Speed limiter - Regular cruise control - Auto Lock Activation Deactivation - 120 Volt power outlet.

8/8/15 Update:
- The most recent picture with the mudflaps is below
- As far as my observations and forum posts, potential problems that will need a fix during the software update: 1) HUD vertical setting is lost if the car is not driven for a few days (or even shorter).

8/15/15 Update 1:
Last week when I was driving, Phone & Navigation options disappeared from the instrument panel after I activated the menu with on/off button. After I parked the car for an hour, everything was normal. Today, navigation disappeared; phone was there but inactive (I could not navigate to it) (cellphone was connected to the car and navigation was on). After I stopped the car for 2-3 mins, everything was normal.

8/15/15 Update 2:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?234943-Battery-Dead&p=2571612#post2571612
My test based on the "Battery dead" threat:
spent 30 mins today testing the car and confirm the observations of citivas.
- If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and never touch the car again you are OK.
- If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the trunk or back doors, you are still OK.
- If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the front doors, then there is a problem. The center display is activated, radio starts playing. After you close the door, eventually everything turns itself off (including the screen) but the radio continues to play. When you lock the car, the radio is off.

I have not noticed this before because I usually use my phone (bluetooth) to play music.

- If you are playing music via bluetooth, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the front doors, >>>> The center display is activated, no music plays, after you close the door, eventually everything turns itself off (including the screen). I don't know if the car continues to search for my phone behind the closed doors so I decided to tell the garage guys to lock the car from now on. Not a big deal as i can be fixed with the software update but I agree with citivas that everybody should be aware of the problem.

8/16/16 Pics:

Easy entry/exit vs Off Road Mode

8/18/15:

- Now I know that the internal modem is free for the first 6 months. For some reason, I missed that point.

8/23/15:

- With the help of forum members, finally I can open the tailgate with my foot :)
1. Kick forward right under /below the left sensor on bumper
2. And backward quickly (no need to to left-right)

10/31/15:
Another MPG test today:
27.6 mpg today under the following conditions: Reset the Trip Computer while traveling 60-65 mph with Adaptive Cruise Control > Comfort Mode > Air Condition off (windows closed) > Non-stop driving for 30 mins. Other important points: 2 adults + 2 young kids + 1 stroller in the car - 93 octane gas - 1100 miles on the car.

11/21/15: Random Picture

12/17/15: November Software Update

- Carplay is installed
- HUD problem is fixed
- When you open the door, the system is activated but shuts down in 2-3 mins. I will still continue to keep the doors locked just in case.
- New Applications
- Under Navigation Traffic Menu "Use RITTI when an internet connection is available"
- Under My Car, Park Assist "Rear View Instead of 360"
- HUD Calibration option under settings (not sure if it is new or not)

12/23/15 Discovery:

After you park the car, if you have the key with you, you can get out of the car and open any door from outside as long as the key is with you. You just need to touch the door handle. No need to press unlock button located on the inside door panel. However, if you leave the key inside, then it will not work.

2/4/15: Rattle
I have been experiencing minor random rattle in the past. Today, after the storm what I observed is increased rattle from the front suspensions, especially while driving on the snow. As noted by SVRacer405 it almost disappears in the off-road mode. Also it is relatively cold today (I don't know if it has anything to do with the rattle). Does anybody know if Volvo has a solution yet for this problem? I have air suspension too (no suspension failure message).

Visit to the service today. I test drove the car with the service manager who was already familiar with the problem and had already checked with Volvo global before my visit (mine was the 2nd car with the same problem). The service manager confirmed that the problem is the left "shock" and ordered a new one. Will give another update after it is replaced in a few weeks

2/4/15: Low Battery Message
Today I had my service appointment for random "low battery message". I was told that the main (front) battery was not fully charging, and it was replaced. I know that changing the battery fixed the problem in some cars but not in others; I am hoping that it will solve my problem. Will wait and see.

So the summary of my experience is:
- I had the problem mostly when the car was unlocked overnight
- Nov SW update did not solve the problem
- Based on what I read here, I have been keeping the modem and easy entry/exit off when I parked the car
- Today it was discovered that the main battery was faulty
- Hopefully this list will not continue to get longer and longer )

2/16/16 - Vermont Trip & Observations (5 days, 600 miles, Down to -10F at night)
- Average entire trip mpg was 19.3 despite lots of mountain driving, remote start to warm up the car, 4 adults, 2 kids, 2 skies on the ski rack, and lots of luggage.
- With 4 adults, 2 kids, 2 skies on the ski rack, and lots of luggage the power/acceleration was still impressive; highway mpg was 22.3.
- I had no noise with the cross bars in the past. However, as soon as I installed the ski rack (even without the skies), significant wind noise started even at low speeds. See the pic below to see the type of the ski rack I have.
- Mudflaps are really effective and protective.
- Remote start works all the time without any problems (several times the engine did not shut down after the pre-set time)
- No low battery message despite extremely cold weather (the battery was replaced 3 weeks ago)
- Several times the left 2nd row seat got stuck after I pushed it fwd for the third row access (others reported this problem too and I think it's an easy fix)
- The left second row seat has a rear facing infant seat. It was very easy to access the third row seat despite the infant seat base: remove the seat from the base; loosen the latch but do not detach; lift the front of the base; and slide the seat forward

Everybody really enjoyed the trip and XC90

8/13/16 - Gas Milage

First long trip after the first year service & oil change.

All highway driving, reset at the start of the trip, 2 adults, 2 kids, no luggage, AC on all the time, outside temp 95 degrees, and adaptive cruise set to 55-65 mph. Based on the driver performance readings:

Distance: 86. 5 miles
Duration: 1h 31m

Gas milage: 29.5 mpg

To be continued ☺

·
Registered
365 Posts
Fantastic! Please keep us up to date. This helps a lot. Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
Congrats! Thanks for the updates!

·
Registered
347 Posts
- The car has its own mind (not in a bad way). There are several rules that you need to learn; but until you learn the rules, you question if there is a technical problem, e.g., lowering air suspension from the trunk will not work if a door is open. There will be a constant learning process; you have to be patient.
First, congrats!

Second, bless you for this comment. I almost went insane thinking my air suspension had a mind of its own. Now I know why the buttons wouldn't work.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please see the original post for today's update (in red)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
My us spec first edition has a 120 volt outlet. So...

I'll check for the socket on the drivers side but I think your dealer is incorrect here as well, I am pretty sure there is no open socket over there on mine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Gc52.

Can other non-FE inscription US owners confirm the above points?
a) Do you have 120 volt outlet at the back of the center tunnel console?
b) Is there an open socket on the driver's side near the handle to open the hood?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Can you post pics of the two spots in question? I am not sure where you are looking at.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
#1 - mine does not have that covered box between the 12V socket and AC section - it is just flat

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I checked my car today, I'm pretty sure the compartment you are talking about near the steering wheel is on my car and it is supposed to have a cover. Mine has a cover anyway.

About the outlet, mine has it right where you are saying, that area right below the climate controls. I'm not sure off the top of my head but I think it's supposed to be included in one of the packages and I suspect your car is supposed to have it since you got pretty much all the packages.

Actually I just checked and the outlet is not included in any packages which means it should be standard. From the manual: There are two 12-volt sockets in the tunnel console, a 120-volt socket on the rear side of the tunnel console, and one 12-volt socket in the cargo area.

*the 12v in the cargo area is only with the convenience package.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Gc52 - I am going to Volvo on Thursday to clarify everything. Do you have the first edition?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yeah I have a FE but that outlet is in the manual for all xc90s. And there is nothing special about the cover for that compartment, it's black plastic, should be the same on every car.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I see. Weirdo, so there is a version that does not have AC outlet after all, because the center console has two different version in the back. Maybe it was for Momentum T5?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I also checked the standard features; not listed anywhere. Only in the manual. I have a feeling that it is 120V socket was included in FE cars, but not the rest. Strange.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Can someone else weigh in here? I really don't think that outlet is a FE only thing. Just don't want you to miss out!

·
Registered
543 Posts
In the Middle East the 120/240 socket is an option that you have to tick. Perhaps that option was not selected.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts