1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
217 Posts
Interesting article. Most of the North American press still have a section in every Volvo review on wow it's not a box even though the last boxy Volvo was made in 2000 (although I like the boxy Volvos) and an alphabet soup of safety acronyms. There's always a mention about college professors and cardigans. Similar stigma implied as the Bloody Volvo driver being a clueless academic type. Most academics I know drive Subarus or volkswagens. Old stereotypes die hard.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I mentioned my Volvo purchase to someone who started jibbering a bunch of Volvo-related stereotypes that I don't fit into. The fact that they would lump me into those categories despite demonstrated non-conformance was really annoying!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is an interesting article found in smh.com.au (a Sydney based news site) that reports on Volvo Cars Australia's struggle with Volvo's public image in Australia.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/...till-haunts-swedish-brand-20120503-1y02v.html
The editors of Sydney Morning Herald could only wish they had the same success as Volvo has in Australia in recent years. In their dreams...

The masthead of the paper may say "first published 1831" but they lost any claim of articulating the public opinion in Sydney. Newpapers around the worls may be struggling, but SMH is in particularly bad kind of trouble. Well deserved, I must add. It used to be a readable newspaper, but a decade ago they stated to embrace the far left. The unsuspecting government followed blindly the policial correctness emanating from the printed pages, leading to catastrophic decisions in city planning. For example, the journalists suggested to solve traffic congestion by closing down an artery crossing the city. The government did it, and nearly fell the next day, because of popular uproar. I stopped reading such tosh, and so did most of my fellow sydneysiders. They now try to revive their circulation, by rekindling old stereotypes like the "bloody Volvo driver". It won't work.

On contrast, Volvo Cars is going from strength to stregth. After they got rid of the globalising Ford management, the firm lets their swedish engineers do what they do best: design cars. A Volvo costs almost twice the price of a standard car of equivalent size. Yet, more and more people are buying it. In the shopping centre carparc in Bondi Junction, it seems to be the single most frequent brand. Quite often, I end up parking my 2004 XC90 next to another Volvo. Sometimes, I end up between two Volvos, without even trying. The Volvo brand is spreading to blue-collar suburbs as well. People are willing to pay for safety and practicality, free of unnecessary luxuries. The world may be in a financial crisis, and the doomsday predictions keep coming from the SMH, but the 23 million inhabitants of Australia bought more than 1 million new cars in 2012.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
But Australia is about to get the Polestar S60. Should help Volvo's image there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts