SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To have a proper performance car, you need a great chassis and suspension setup.
And it also should be selectable...for when you (for your passengers) want to dial it back just a bit - temporarily.

Volvo offered this 15+ years ago with its active performance chassis with Four-C Technology
https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/media/pressreleases/5196
https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/media/pressreleases/5194
Having owned that car and its selectable three chassis settings: Comfort, Sport and Advanced Sport,
I can say that it was able to be dialed in perfectly for the mood of the driver.

Volvo's current variable electronic air (Four-C) and fixed Sport Chassis (permanent hardware) don't achieve it alone.
You need the wonderful combination that Active Performance Chassis was, way back in the early 2000s.
With advances made since that time, it could be a wonderful thing for the S60, any Volvo for that matter.

Not sure if current Sport Chassis and 4-C (if even allowed to be chosen together) can achieve what Active Performance was...

IMHO, this (i.e., chassis not being sorted out) is the single biggest reason why Volvo is not thought of as a vehicle for sporting enthusiasts! The following article covers the nuances very well:
https://roadblazing.com/2019-volvo-s60-t6-awd-r-design-bottom-line-review/

·
Registered
121 Posts
I consider myself a driving enthusiast but also don't want something super stiff for my everyday commute. I ended up getting the S60 R-design with the base dynamic suspension (thinking i was getting a sports suspension). That base suspension is geared towards comfort/luxury and has heavy bounce/roll through corners. The problem with the sports chassis - it's overly stiff, which would be forgivable, if the car handled like a dream- but it doesn't in my opinion-at least not with that steering set up. The base 330i suspension handles better with a much more comfortable ride with the adaptive dampers which are standard.

The S60 is such a good looking car. I wish Volvo would just develop a sporty suspension/steering set up esp. if they are going to market it with statements like "ultimate inspired driving pleasure." No car with a 16.2 steering ratio is going to be quick and fun to toss around. You are absolutely right- they have the technology. We all remember the Volvo R cars and the true polestar cars. They were incredible.

It's a conscious choice to not do it bc they think the average US buyer does not want any of that anymore. I personally think they are wrong bc most of the buyers of the S60 are cross shopping in the sports sedan category. If you want to compete in this class, you need to back it up. I know many friends who ended up with an A4 and 330i etc. just bc they thought the S60 was too soft even though its the best looking car in the category. I am about to trade mine in as well.

Like i said, my 17 V60 is super comfortable yet so fun and sporty. It's like driving a fun go-cart. I traded in my old 3 series and never looked back. Even now, I prefer to drive it over the new S60. Volvo really took a step back with more isolation and more comfort/luxury. Maybe if we are lucky we will get a sporty S40 sedan or v40 wagon in the future with true R versions but i doubt it. Volvo's bread and butter is the SUV line up. The cars are are an afterthought. I just don't understand the strategy here. Most typical Volvo buyers/drivers who value comfort/luxury are not going to settle on the S60. They will either go SUV or get the S90. So why cater to them when tuning the S60 rather than trying to copy the German driving model and luring tons of new customers in?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again.. It's your preference.. If you own a Volvo right now it's because you prefer the brand over others. If you were in the market for a sports sedan with a luxury stamp on it you should have been looking at Audi. I have an R Design and personally think it is fun to drive. There is a Polestar version of this vehicle if that's in your wheel house and you want that extra performance and handling. Otherwise I think the current Volvo movement is headed in the right direction. Maybe we will see some of those added things in the near future.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge Pro AWD
457 Posts
FourC is still adjustable, the difference is, there are no more separate buttons.
If you switch the Drive mode to “dynamic” the dampers I’ll always be stiffer. Drive Mode “individual” allows you to choose your preferences, (Driver Display, Steering Force, Powertrain Characteristics, Brake Characteristics, Suspension Control, ECO Climate, Start/Stop), based on one of the preset drive modes. See page 395/396 in the 2020 user manual https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/manuals/2020/S60_OwnersManual_MY20_en-US_TP29996[1].pdf
In the Polestar Engineered S/V/XC 60 you’ll get manually adjustable Öhlins shocks and Brembo brakes, like the old S/V 60 Polestar.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Volvo no longer makes a true sports car *and that's okay*. People whose priority are a sports sedan should buy a BMW. Volvo is now first and foremost a well-budgeted luxury car that *happens* to be able to be a bit sporty, not a sports car that happens to be a bit luxury.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Volvo no longer makes a true sports car *and that's okay*. People whose priority are a sports sedan should buy a BMW. Volvo is now first and foremost a well-budgeted luxury car that *happens* to be able to be a bit sporty, not a sports car that happens to be a bit luxury.
Amen.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
827 Posts
...Volvo's bread and butter is the SUV line up. The cars are are an afterthought..

I think you are spot-on with this statement.

By the way, 4-C suspension is no longer available in the USA for S60 (at least according to MY2020 online configurator). Yet another option gone for US customers - which again confirms the statement above. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Luxury is a must and that box is certainly checked, but Volvo is also trying to be sporty as well; per their Website:
The S60 R-Design delivers true driving pleasure. High-gloss black exterior details and a choice of unique alloy wheel designs clearly communicate the car’s personality. Contour seats, charcoal headlining and unique interior trim confirm that this is a car designed for those who love to drive. Stiffer, lower suspension gives even more responsive handling and a focused feel.
The bold and italics are either exaggerations or lies.
Regardless, Volvo does at least pretend to offer sportiness and a driving edge.
Volvo needs sedans and wagons to make it long-term, SUVs alone won't carry the day.
And Volvo can make a great car; the S60 has an Eaton Roots Supercharger, Aisin 8-Speed Transmission and a Borg Warner turbocharger with Haldex awd, not to mention center differential, rear torque vectoring, paddle shifters,...
Sedans are out of favor across the board; it is time for Volvo to capitalize on the S60; it can be a great driver's car; it is so close.
Audi and BMW devotees are looking at the S60...Moreover, Ford is exiting the sedan market and given the recent history of shared DNA/architecture, certainly Ford owners could be won over.
Maybe it's a perfect time to bring Lynk/Cyan division into the fold, as Polestar is onto electrification only.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1122031_lynk-co-03-cyan-concept-fastest-street-legal-4-door-ring
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/about/humanmade/partnerships/polestarcyan
Sedans won't survive if they are boring; SUVs transport people and their stuff whereas sedans are for the driver!
Polestar engineered T8 isn't the answer either. Way too heavy and unbalanced and slower than an Audi S4, not to mention an RS.
But a true new R (using the Volvo parts bin) would make Volvo truly relevant in the performance sedan market, and would nullify all the neutral and negative reviews re: numb feeling and no steering feedback...come on Volvo, you can do it!
And BTW, performance oriented drivers can like luxury too; I'd love ventilated seats, stitched dash, ambient lights and 4 zone HVAC in my RD and no reason a new R couldn't have it too - but all that extra fluff/weight would slow up the fun just a little LOL!
I am a loyal Volvo fan, who will be in all likelihood acquiring my 10th Volvo next year....I am sold and hope they keep delivering.
The new S60 hasn't sold very well this far, but bigger incentives are helping. Volvo needs a volume leading sedan to survive!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts