SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a T5 last week. It is white with off black interior. Got the BLIS, Premium package, and the climate package. I had seen these around town and loved the look. What motivated me to look at them was last months article in Motor Trend where it came in 2nd, beating the TSX, A4 and C250. I was looking at Acura TSX's, cpo A4's and 328i's. I was going to have to go with a two year old bmw or audi for my price range, I could get a new tsx.

I got my S60 for 29,900 plus ttl. It had 2100 miles on it. Sticker was about 36,700 so I figured a great deal. I preferred this to an Audi or BMW with 10-20k miles on it and a 3-4K higher price.

I love the car but am concerned about a couple of things. Volvo's sales numbers are down again, I am concerned that they don't pull a SAAB on us. Also, a lot of people really talk down the brand. I was in the automotive service business years ago and Volvo's were always respected, stodgy, but respected. I viewed them as the safety conscious luxury brand.

I love the car but am concerned with Volvo's reputation and sales trends. Anyone else fret over this?

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about Volvo turning into the next SAAB, at least just yet. The latter essentially turned into a boutique manufacturer with very low sales numbers for years as owner GM had bigger problems and the brand suffered from lack of investment in new products. The 92 and 97 were just Subaru and GM clones and the 93 was pretty long in the tooth. Finally the new 95 was released but it was too little too late.

My sense is that Volvo suffered some of the same treatment at the hands of Ford with too little investment in replacement models as Ford's focus was on its main brands. I would imagine that new owner Geely is more interested in investing in new platforms, not only for Volvo's established markets, but for one of the fastest growing economies - China.

Volvo needs to continue to carve a niche for itself in the "near luxury" segment against much larger competitors. The S60 and XC60 are great vehicles and are a big step forward and the new V40 has promise. Volvo now needs to replace the aging XC90 and S80. I am probably more optimistic about Volvo's prospects now than I have been in several years.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Lots of us fret over this. However, I wouldn't be worried about them pulling a saab move, at least not for quite a few more years. I too was worried about the same, but now with them being bought out by Geely, I think they have some staying power. The next-gen XC90 may make or break them in the US though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I did not think about the fact that they are owned by a chinese company that is probably going to pay attention to them now. Don't get me wrong, I love my S60! I just traded in a Mazdaspeed 3 that was a great car, but it was beating me to death! I test drove the Acura, the BMW and the A4. Loved the BMW, the acura reminded me too much of my 2004 Accord, the Audi was bland and too expensive compared to the 2000 A4 2.8 I used to own. I chose the S60 because it is off the beaten path, it had the great warranty and maintenance and was thousands less than the bimmers. I am happy so I am not gonna worry. Just gonna tell other people about how great the car is!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing that kind of set me off was the review on thetruthaboutcars.com. The review and comments are kind of ridiculous imho. Somebody seems to have a vendetta against this car of Volvo in general. What a bunch of BS.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
One thing that kind of set me off was the review on thetruthaboutcars.com. The review and comments are kind of ridiculous imho. Somebody seems to have a vendetta against this car of Volvo in general. What a bunch of BS.
I like Alex *****' reviews. I think he hits the mark pretty well. He was a Volvo owner (he recently
sold his V70R) and contributed on Swedespeed boards. His recent story of how he selected the Volvo V70 R back
in 2006 and why he sold it: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tag/alex-l-*****/page/2/

And one of my favorite review snippets of his comparing the S60RD to an Audi S4's "better" steering:

"It’s the weight and its distribution rather than the rubber that dogs the S60R in corners, where it exhibits an unwillingness
to change direction much like the similarly overweight S4. The S4 delivers a more refined feel while heading off into the bushes."

Full review at http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/02/review-2012-volvo-s60-t6-awd-r-design-take-two/

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Volvo won't be anywhere near what Saab sadly came out to be because Volvo isn't under the incredibly idiotic rulings of Government Motors. Volvo's numbers are (very slightly) up but they are waiting for the XC90 to once again start pulling its own weight. The S60/XC60 have done a lot of sales growth and perhaps the S80/XC70's refresh will do a bit more for them but they are still nowhere NEAR what happened to Saab. Remember that GM fired over 2,000 engineers and immediately slashed Saab's development budget and yet SOMEHOW expected Saab's sales numbers to pick up!? AS of now, Volvo is selling over 4 times as much as Saab was at its height. Happily, Government Motors is still losing share value and having slower sales gains than its competitors. Though, why they are having sales gains at all boggles my mind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Volvo also has it's heavy duty equipment subsidiary to help pay the bills.

As a new owner, I would like to see Volvo shine on the car side of the business and I think the S60 and XC60 are a great starting point now that they have gotten out from under the Ford umbrella. As far as Sabb goes, I have driven numerous ones over the years and not one of them has ever wowed me to the point of consideration. Heck, for the last decade or so, the 4cylinders were nothing more than GM ecotecs that had been turboed. And the V6 could be dated back to the 90's. Lastly, when GM wasn't recycling GMT360 Trailblazers for clones or having a stint with Subaru and cloning the Impreza, the platforms for Saabs were either Epsilon (Chevy Malibu, Pontiac G6, Saturn Aura -9-3) or taken from the Pontiac Grand Prix - 9-5.

Saab really was on death row back in the 90's when GM bought stake in them and IMO, GM became nothing more than a lifeline who kept them afloat with as little investment as possible, while milking as much knowledge about safety as they could till their 08 bankruptcy.

This reminds me about a Top Gear episode a few weeks back that was a dedication to the Saab lineage. Basically their summary was that outside of the old 900 Turbo for 1996, the rest of their cars were rubbish and their enigneering was out in left field most of the time. I did respect them for offering manual transmissions, wish Volvo would offer more of them.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
This reminds me about a Top Gear episode a few weeks back that was a dedication to the Saab lineage. Basically their summary was that outside of the old 900 Turbo for 1996, the rest of their cars were rubbish and their enigneering was out in left field most of the time. I did respect them for offering manual transmissions, wish Volvo would offer more of them.
That reminds me that Top Gear's "tribute" to Saab was a bit half assed... They didn't even review any of the newer cars stating only that the interior of a Saab didn't remind them of a fighter jet. And James May's bit on the old 93 was total B.S. When has ANY 2-stroke engine died for no random cause just because of not pressing the throttle?! How on earth would they become so popular in off-road bikes/ATVs if they, supposedly, would die out every time you took your foot off the gas pedal. And when Jeremy was ranting on about the original UrSaab stating that it was a safety hazzard to have those covered up wheel arched because supposedly snow builds up around it... Again! TOTAL B.S. because if you've EVER seen a car when snow is falling you KNOW that snow doesn't even go near the inner parts of the wheels. At all. There is ALWAYS a small "shelter", if you will, from where the snow falls which is proof in itself that Jeremy was full of it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I owned a circa '78 Saab 99 and also drove a Saab 900 of 1980's vintage. Both were hatchbacks. . .both were outstanding tanks of a car. I drove those cars places that normal people would not consider taking 4x4 trucks thru. Snow, mud, snowy and muddy fields, woods, paths thru woods, ski mountains, entire Grateful Dead tours. . .I beat those cars like a mule. (Or like a normal high school aged deadhead living in Vermont and New Hampshire!) Sporty?. . .not so much but fast enough. Rugged as all hell tho, with MT and good tires there was nothing the car could not be forced into doing. Loved the ignition key down at the floorboards! Never failed to start, no matter how cold the weather was.

Loved those cars. . .

·
Super Moderator
3,795 Posts
Also, a lot of people really talk down the brand.

Anyone else fret over this?
I resisted buying a Volvo for a number of years for two main reasons. FIRST, they were very underpowered, IMHO, until the 5 cylinder came along. NEXT, the reputation for being a quiche eating liberal college professor mover. I am a Republican kind of guy. :D

I finally needed a mid sized station wagon and a V70 was the best choice.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
I love the car but am concerned about a couple of things. Volvo's sales numbers are down again, I am concerned that they don't pull a SAAB on us. Also, a lot of people really talk down the brand. I was in the automotive service business years ago and Volvo's were always respected, stodgy, but respected. I viewed them as the safety conscious luxury brand.

I love the car but am concerned with Volvo's reputation and sales trends. Anyone else fret over this?
First rule of car buying......only YOU have to be happy with the decision. If you're trying to impress someone else or seek his/her approval.......get over it.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
First rule of car buying......only YOU have to be happy with the decision. If you're trying to impress someone else or seek his/her approval.......get over it.
+1 My fiancee was all about having to get a BMW or MB because of the approval she would get from others and over time she has learned that isn't the way.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If you are going for image I don't know about the BMW 3 series or the Mercedes C class. Have you seen how common they are and the people driving these cars lately??!!
No thanks. I prefer the image of the Volvo S60 much better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree, that is why I bought it. That and the reviews, especially the Motortrend comparison. A4's are also very common here in Texas. So far I love it.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I LIVE by that standard. I approve 110%.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts