SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an interesting link to an Edmunds article on Volvo's plans for future models.<BR>It mentions that the C70 is set to be replaced soon and that there will be an S60R sometime.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/futurecars/articles/44810/page037.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/futurecars/articles/44810/page037.html</A>
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,231 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Apurva:<BR><B>Here's an interesting link to an Edmunds article on Volvo's plans for future models.<BR>It mentions that the C70 is set to be replaced soon and that there will be an S60R sometime.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/futurecars/articles/44810/page037.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/futurecars/articles/44810/page037.html</A> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Although they are a bit off in their Model Years, they are pretty much on the ball.<P>The S60R will be a 2003 model, not 2002. MY2003 will only feature the C70 Convertible as MY2002 is the last year for the current C70 Coupe. After MY2003 the current C70 Convertible will become extinct.<P>Yannis<BR><P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
Yannis, I think by them saying 2002 S60 PCC, they ment that the PCC was 2002. I don't think they ment to say it would be a 2002 production model. Whoops. I now see that they have it next to S60R, not just under the photo.<P>I dont like how they kinda called the XC90 a cross over vehical. In my mind at least, its a total SUV.<BR>I guess I'll be telling my dad no s80 then. S60R all the way. 300hp + a volvo = Greatness.<P><BR>[This message has been edited by omega6_virus (edited 04-25-2002).]<p>[This message has been edited by omega6_virus (edited 04-25-2002).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by omega6_virus:<BR><B>Y<BR>I guess I'll be telling my dad no s80 then. S60R all the way. 300hp + a volvo = Greatness.<P><BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Trouble is, for me, it most likely means I won't be able to fit in it when it comes with the standard sunroof. My available choices in fun cars is rapidly decreasing. I might have to start a company that <I>removes</I> the sunroof for tall drivers so we can actually buy them anymore.<P>Let me know how the S60r drives. <P>Out of curiosity, why hasn't Volvo made a C60 coupe and convertible out of a shorter S60 frame? Toss in the T5 or the r engine and it would sell a lot better than the C70. (Note that I bought the S60 because the C70 was underpowered, otherwise I would've been perfectly happy with 2 doors.)<P>C60r = <I>Much</I> better (i.e., upscale) Mustang. There's a market there. Really. <P>My opinion, FWIW.<P><p>[This message has been edited by T5 Dave (edited 04-26-2002).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
That V50 can't get here soon enough! I will be ready to replace my 2000 VW Golf soon, so perhaps the V50 will be a potential candidate.<P>If they are gunning for the A4 and 3-series wagons, it would be a huge mistake to not offer a manual transmission in this car, as was the case with the V40.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,231 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T5 Dave:<BR><B> (Note that I bought the S60 because the C70 was underpowered, otherwise I would've been perfectly happy with 2 doors.)<P>[This message has been edited by T5 Dave (edited 04-26-2002).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>C70 Coupe <I>underpowered</I>??? Are you sure? The "old" HPT engine, at 236HP, was/is a pretty strong engine...especially with the manual transmission. But even with the automatic transmission, that car is pretty quick!<P>Yannis<BR><P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:<BR><B> <BR>C70 Coupe <I>underpowered</I>??? Are you sure? The "old" HPT engine, at 236HP, was/is a pretty strong engine...especially with the manual transmission. But even with the automatic transmission, that car is pretty quick!<P>Yannis<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, yeah, when compared to the S60. The C70's 236 hp at 3200 pounds gives a power to weight ratio of 73.8 hp per 1000 pounds, versus 78.5 hp per 1000 pounds for the S60.<P>Every morning when I go to work I get on the freeway on a 1/4 mile, steep uphill on-ramp to merge with traffic that's moving at about 80 to 95 mph.<P>So, yeah, I wanted the extra performance.<P>I wonder why the power wasn't bumped up in the C70? It's pretty much the same engine as the S60.<P>Oh well, the sunroof is standard in the C70, too, so I'm stuck in that regard, also.<P>Anyway, my point is that I think there's a market for an upscale Mustang. Volvo has one, now if they'd just figure that out . . . .<P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,564 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T5 Dave:<BR><B> I wonder why the power wasn't bumped up in the C70? It's pretty much the same engine as the S60.<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah...is the new 2001/2002 C70 still using the same engine from the 1999 model? I don' think it's got all those battery relocation treatment like the S60. I thought even when S60 came out, under the hood..C70 still has that same layout they had back Pre-60 series period, right?<BR>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,564 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T5 Dave:<BR><B> Well, yeah, when compared to the S60. The C70's 236 hp at 3200 pounds gives a power to weight ratio of 73.8 hp per 1000 pounds, versus 78.5 hp per 1000 pounds for the S60.<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Also I can't really comment on whether or not a manual S60 is indeed much faster than a manual C70(it's been years since the last time I drove a stock C70), but the overall feeling in the S60 is much more solid than the C70. Well...in terms of driving dynamics and all. No comment on the S60's center console/dash board...almost felt like Volvo has been raped by Ford. <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/frown.gif"><BR>Other than that, the S60 feels like a much advanced evolution of its predecessors..very nice car indeed, although it may not drive like a traditional Swedish car.<BR>
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,231 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_one_n_only:<BR><B> Also I can't really comment on whether or not a manual S60 is indeed much faster than a manual C70(it's been years since the last time I drove a stock C70), but the overall feeling in the S60 is much more solid than the C70. Well...in terms of driving dynamics and all. .</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The C70s still use the old layout...no battery in the trunk, etc. Yes, an S60 T5 M is probably quicker than a C70 M due to higher torque, better suspension etc. But the "old" 236HP engine is nothing to sneeze at. In my opinion, it is not underpowered...not a quick as the S60 but we are talking small differences here.<P>Yannis<P><P>
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top