SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Annapolis, MD - As part of the Annapolis/Baltimore leg of the Volvo Ocean Race, Swedespeed and Annapolis Volvo held the first Volvos By The Bay Charity Show & Shine. On a beautiful Saturday afternoon, Volvo fanatics from various places throughout the Mid-Atlantic USA gathered to show off their cars, check out some other Volvos and contribute to the local YWCA.

An eclectic grouping of Volvos was on hand, from a beautiful 122 and P1800 to newer 850s and more. While the Volvo Ocean Race Yachts prepared today at the Annapolis City Docks to set sail for the next leg of the race, the Volvophiles at Annapolis Volvo had their own spectacle to behold.

This show was the first of hopefully a continual future of events to be held in an effort to both support local charities and to help bring local Volvo enthusiasts together. In that mission, the event was a complete success.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I had a great time - well worth the trip. I hope wherever I end up getting a job that I can still make it to future events. I know my brother was really happy to win that S40 BTCC model!

BTW, I'm nursing a serious sunburn today!

And whoever was asking me how the Kumhos handle rain, I can now say they are indeed fantastic in the wet. I averaged 73.4 MPH on the trip home, about half of that in heavy rain.

I think I speak for everyone when I say, thanks George, and everybody else who made this possible.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
George and the Swedespeed staff,
Thank you guys for this great event. Although few other cars didn't make it to this GTG, it was a very nice event for all the Volvo fans to get together.

I also appreciate those who drove hours and hours to make it to this event. I had a lot of fun, even though the C70 didn't get a chance to make it this weekend.

I don't really know how to say this...but I had a lot of fun meeting everyone there this past weekend. I definitely WILL make it down to Carlisle on May 17th's weekend with my car. I hope to see everyone there again.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you everyone for coming out. There are some of you who came in from pretty far away (NC, PA etc. etc.) and I hope you all had a good time. I enjoyed looking over everyone's cars (wish I'd had more time to do so) and am working on spending the whole weekend in Carlisle this time around. See you then.

·
Administrator
55,940 Posts
It was a nice time seeing and chatting with folks. We went down to Sandy Point for a bit, not too much was going on there. It's a great spot for pictures though.

I really enjoyed seeing the '00 V70R, although the blue is a tad bright but I think I could live with it.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
George,
Thanks for a nice event. It was great to
see all those old Volvos. Kind of like checking out your car's heritage :)

There was also lots of Volvo activity (and the boats) at the city dock in Annapolis for those that made it there during the day.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I had a great time, but I got a little sun burned too. Oh well, I knew it would happen.

A big thanks to George and Annapolis Volvo for putting together a great event. I was just thinking about how surprising it was to see such a wide variety of cars among a rather small total showing. 122, 1800, 262C, 244, 245, 744, 780, 945, 850, S70, C70, & S40. That's a dozen body styles and almost 40 years worth in only about 20-25 cars.

There were many great cars there, but my favorite had to be the 122.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Swedespeed gang,

Hey guys, this weekend was a complete blast! If I wasn't a hardcore Volvo enthusiast before, I am now. Thank you for putting the event on. It was a perfect day, and the rain waited for us to leave before it started

It was cool to finally meet some of the faces behind the screen names. All said, I had a great time. BTW if anyone has any pics of the show, POST THEM! I didn't have the digital camera, so I can't as easily post mine. And Kai, Mark, Scott, Pierre, Lori, Mary and myself made it to the Import Eurasia show. Wow! All I have to say is, wow! From a custom, trunk - mounted, sealed fish tank to a playstation monitor mounted in the steering wheel, they had it all. Definitely worth the trip... But not as much fun as winning a Swedespeed hat at the show n shine!
- Phill

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sounds like everyone had a great time....wish I could have been their to meet and hang out with everyone. Can't wait to see some pics.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like the link has been posted, but our gallery is up. Go to Resources and then click on galleries and scroll down. It's down under shows, or you can find the event writeup in our Features section under Shows & Events and the gallery is linked from that as well.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
George, thanks again for making the event happen. Catherine (my eight-year-old) and I had a great time. The photos look great!

Scott

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Man...you guys have all the fun!!!

Guess I missed out on yet another event. The pictures all looked real nice and there were several cars that I know very well in the mix. Twas nice to see them all clean and shiny

I'm going to attempt to make the May 17 show for a while. I just have to play it safe since I'll be catching a flight to San Fran on the 19th. So-long east coast...

Cheers
Prospero

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Nah, no new job...yet. But, yes I am moving to San Francisco with my woman in May. Just been in this area too long and the tech industries are drying up. The last venture I was involved in has failed to pay me for the past ~5-months. They keep making promises but never a delivery. Since my girl and I worked for the same place and are both looking for tech jobs, there really is no place better than Cali. (Oh, and the place is really nice to look at too.) We spent a few weeks there together before the "layoff" and fell in love with the life in SF Bay area. So now we have the chance and motive...we're going for it! The 850 will be going via truck in another week and then I'll be there on May 19th. Talking about a change of life...so what do you think? Am I nuts or what!?

Prospero

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The great thing about it man, is that you are at the stage in life where you can just get up and go. I hope you enjoy it, it's a wonderful place. Gotta hit the Monterey Historic Automobile Races at Laguna Seca, and also Pebble Beach Concours D'Ellegance.

BTW, are you taking the 240?

George

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey Prospero, you're definitely not nuts. You have to go where you think you can make a decent living. I'm sure it's scary, but hey, if you don't like it, you can always come back or try another place. My wife actually wants to move to Hawaii...think I'll have to take her up on it, but that means getting rid of the R.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Yeah, the moving deal is not always fun. I'm having to toss out many of my belongings as well as store all of my toys. I've already sold my '85 BMW 735i and will be selling my '83 240. I figure $1K for it will do the trick. But that's something for the classified section. I am really going to Cali with 2 large suitcases and shipping my beaten 850 along with tools and spares in the trunk. That's really all. Everything else, including my house-cat, is being stored at my brothers place in VA. It's scary as hell! But hey, like so-many people have told me...this really is the best time for me to do this in life. Same goes for my woman too. No kids or carry-on baggage on her end eihter. So that's pretty much the deal. Just going to give it a whirl and see what I can do.

Prospero

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yeah, moving really sucks, but you get to start over in a new place. My wife and I have gone from Lancaster, PA to Jacksonville, FL, back to Shrewsbury, PA, then to the Philly area, and then here to Smithfield, NC. Now, it looks like I'll soon be headed to either Hickory, NC, East Hartford, CT, or Bethpage, Long Island. This has all been in the last 7 years! What can I say, you gotta go where the jobs are...

It sure would be nice to be employed again!

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, that's a lot of moving. I know this is just continuing an off topic discussion, but I grew up in Lancaster County (Etown to be exact).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts