SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here cross-shopped the F-Pace against the XC90? If so why didn't you move forward with a purchase and decide on an XC90 instead?
I am contemplating this as an option over the XC90 I have on order and curious to read what others may have to say about this particular CUV/SUV.
Thanks.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Has anyone on here cross-shopped the F-Pace against the XC90? If so why didn't you move forward with a purchase and decide on an XC90 instead?
I am contemplating this as an option over the XC90 I have on order and curious to read what others may have to say about this particular CUV/SUV.
Thanks.
I very briefly toyed with the idea of the F-Pace, because I was considering the new Lexus RX (also Audi Q7) and figured if I was comparing 5-seat SUVs, the F-Pace should be on the list.

But I couldn't find a compelling dimension on which the F-Pace really won the race relative to the Volvo, Audi or Lexus (against my criteria which were more family-hauler oriented than performance SUV oriented, YMMV) so it pretty quickly fell off my list.

I think the F-Pace more naturally competes against the Cayman/Macan/X5/X3/Q5/Discovery Sport/GLE/etc. You'll probably find more people who seriously cross-shopped the F-Pace in those forums I'd guess.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I looked at the F-Pace (along with some other high end SUVs,) but decided that the plug-in hybrid T8 would let me drive around town using no gas, and that outweighed many other factors. I really like the large cargo space available in the XC90, as well as the uncluttered look inside and out.

I was interested in the Tesla Model X, but I needed a large cargo area with seats that folded flat, and was worried about range for road trips. I considered the Audi Q7, but didn't really like the look, and the cabin seems cluttered, compared to the XC90.

At any rate, the T8 should be zippy enough for me, I don't plan on going off road, don't live somewhere it snows, and plan on doing a bunch of road trips. With this mix of requirements the XC90 quickly rose to the top of my list.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I am not sure it is an apples to apples comparison; I think it is a beautiful SUV and it would be in the running if I were shopping for a Porsche Cayenne, Porsche Macan or even a Land Rover Sport.

I built one; an F-pace Prestige with 20" wheels, Vision and Technology packages plus HUD and metallic paint; MSRP is $59,855. Conversely, I built an XC90 T6 w/ Momentum Plus, metallic paint, Convenience and Vision packages plus 20" wheels, MSRP is $57,510 plus I get LED headlights and seating for 7. The F-pace has stronger engine, even though the EPA rating is still not out.

Two different cars. I feel the F-pace is squeezed (segment-wise) between an XC60 and an XC90, hence my comparison to the other 3 cars above.

·
Registered
74 Posts
7-seats and more standard features!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think that they are going straight at the X5 and Cayenne with that one. Mid-size 2-row crossover with emphasis on driving dynamics/performance.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the F-Pace more naturally competes against the Cayman/Macan/X5/X3/Q5/Discovery Sport/GLE/etc. You'll probably find more people who seriously cross-shopped the F-Pace in those forums I'd guess.
i agree with you, the size and shape is more in line with the segment you highlighted above. i do not need third row but i like the option of it being there since we do use it once or twice a year. i could certainly live without it and would not miss it.

I am not sure it is an apples to apples comparison; I think it is a beautiful SUV and it would be in the running if I were shopping for a Porsche Cayenne, Porsche Macan or even a Land Rover Sport.
i thought perhaps T5 shoppers may have considered it and that is why i asked.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
i thought perhaps T5 shoppers may have considered it and that is why i asked.
I can definitely understand that; in theory, yes. Practically, no; different demographics. There may some cross-shopping between these two but I think it will be the exception rather than the rule.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
T6 5seater is more comparable especially Polestar tuned. But it is not offered in US market.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm reviving this conversation as I am now trying to decide between an XC90 and FPACE. I though tI made my mind up and was moving forward with the XC90, but the dealer is having trouble locating what I want and giving me a fair price, so now I'm wondering again... I love the Jaguar FPACE, however the general word of mouth on Jaguar is be prepared to be in the shop for various problems. However they offer a great warranty now, and Volvo isn't number 1 in reliability either... should I be considering the FPACE? I don't really need 3 rows (its just 2 of us for now). Interior of the XC90 is nicer, but the exterior of FPACE is sexier. I'm not sure anymore! lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm reviving this conversation as I am now trying to decide between an XC90 and FPACE. I though tI made my mind up and was moving forward with the XC90, but the dealer is having trouble locating what I want and giving me a fair price, so now I'm wondering again... I love the Jaguar FPACE, however the general word of mouth on Jaguar is be prepared to be in the shop for various problems. However they offer a great warranty now, and Volvo isn't number 1 in reliability either... should I be considering the FPACE? I don't really need 3 rows (its just 2 of us for now). Interior of the XC90 is nicer, but the exterior of FPACE is sexier. I'm not sure anymore! lol
Jag's tech is very lacking, it feels like a Lexus to me. If you want a good discount, try to get a plan from your company if possible. When I bought my 2018 XC90 T6 Inscription last Dec, MSRP was 72K and I got $9300 off by using a plan and a little bit of negotiate.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
F-Pace is smaller, you should compare it to XC60 not XC90. It's in a different class, no 7 seats, etc.! Not as nice inside honestly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Since I'm a sole proprietor, I don't have any plans, and the company I work with doesn't either. I did join Costco and another Swedespeed member helped me with that, however the salesman doesn't seem to want to do much beyond the bare minimum. I kept showing him how the same vehicle (maybe a different color) in New York was selling for thousands less, and he said he can't complete with other regions since they get different incentives and discounts for that specific region. He said he could only be competitive with other dealers in the same region. I did find another dealer with the exact car configuration closer (250 miles or less) however its still not technically the same region. I may just tell him I'll drive up to New York and save $5,000.
However back to the original reason for this post, I'm still drooling over the Jag. Its a tough decision. They are both stunning vehicles.
Jag's tech is very lacking, it feels like a Lexus to me. If you want a good discount, try to get a plan from your company if possible. When I bought my 2018 XC90 T6 Inscription last Dec, MSRP was 72K and I got $9300 off by using a plan and a little bit of negotiate.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I test drove the F-Pace before getting the XC90, but not having 7 seats eliminated it from contention. Also, I wanted the plug-in hybrid efficiency of the T8 with 400 hp and the Pilot Assist technology, so the Jaguar lost on a lot of elements. I did like the pulsing Start/Stop button, though!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah we don't need 7 seats, and I'd be getting the 2018 XC90 T6 Inscription, not a T8, so there's nothing about the hybrid to lure me away from the FPACE.
..yeah the pulsing start/stop is cool, but obviously not important enough to sway a decision lol.
..and yeah the FPACE is smaller, but still larger than the XC60.It's like in-between.

I don't know, there is something about that damn XC90 that just brings a smile to me face!..... until... I see an FPACE on the road lol! Then my smile flickers and I start smiling because of the FPACE instead :p lol Decisions!!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yeah we don't need 7 seats, and I'd be getting the 2018 XC90 T6 Inscription, not a T8, so there's nothing about the hybrid to lure me away from the FPACE.
..yeah the pulsing start/stop is cool, but obviously not important enough to sway a decision lol.
..and yeah the FPACE is smaller, but still larger than the XC60.It's like in-between.

I don't know, there is something about that damn XC90 that just brings a smile to me face!..... until... I see an FPACE on the road lol! Then my smile flickers and I start smiling because of the FPACE instead :p lol Decisions!!!:eek:
Have you driven both? I would ask for an overnight test drive and see which one you like better after spending some time with both of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
850 Posts
If I had bought my car based solely on exterior design, I would have gone with the F-Pace, but the XC90 is far more beautiful on the inside.

I was really excited about the F-Pace, until I actually sat in one. The interior looked and felt cheap. It was dark, cramped, and visibility was terrible, especially out the rear window. I didn't even make it to the test drive-- I loved the car's look, but no thanks.

And I would take the XC60 over the F-Pace in a heartbeat, too. But as we all know, different strokes and all that-- if that's what you like, that's what you like.

·
Registered
81 Posts
All good points - the more I hear everyones thoughts/opinions, the more it helps me think clearly as to what makes the most sense for me.
So thanks!

I have driven both - I felt a little more surge of power with the FPACE, but not as crazy powerful as all the reviews online make it appear. (I tested the standard engine FPACE R-sport version, not the S). When I put the XC90 in Dynamic mode, it has some definite hustle as well. I was more surprised by the XC90 in Dynamic mode then the FPACE in Normal mode. However when I put the FPACE in it's "Sport" mode, then it got really punchy- and some of that might have been artificial (I'm pretty sure the speakers put out a little growl when accelerating in sport mode). The interior of FPACE is definitely weaker than the XC90's. Exterior as I said - FPACE is sexy, XC90 is luxurious. I don't care much about rear window visibility since both have BLIS and all those safety tech systems.

I didn't think I could do an overnight test drive...? The most the Volvo guy suggested was a 2 hour "extended test-drive" where I could take it by myself. I didn't even get to inquiring about an extended drive with the Jag since I was leaning towards XC90 until now.
Maybe I will ask... Is that a usual thing to do with you all?? In all the cars I've purchased I've never kept them overnight to test it.. sounds like a great idea though.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I drove and FPace during one of the Jaguar-Land Rover events and I was not impressed. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice car, but didn't shine. If you are having a hard time finding a XC90 and don't need 7 seats, have you considered a XC60?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts