SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed my list down to Volvo XC60 , Audi Q5, and BMW X5 (used). I love the interior of the Volvo, but feel the exterior look is more like I am buying a "Soccer Mom SUV". I am single male in my mid 40's and just feels like the Audi Q5 and BMW X5 are more normal brand choices.

I realize plenty of "soccer Moms" drive the Q5 and X5 as well, but am I crazy to think this.

Did anyone else feel this way, or now regret buying XC60 ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
My previous SUV was Q5, which my wife drives now. Love my XC60.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Personally I don't think the look of the XC60 is any more "soccer mom" than that of the Q5 or X5. All are nice looking vehicles.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Those were the models I was interested in as well, and it went to Volvo, for good looks, previous experience, value for money, comfort.

Bought it at the end of March, and still loving it.

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
To me, XC60 looks better when driver is a lady. :)

Well maybe depends on color. Busting Blue, Black and greys are for men. :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have narrowed my list down to Volvo XC60 , Audi Q5, and BMW X5 (used). I love the interior of the Volvo, but feel the exterior look is more like I am buying a "Soccer Mom SUV". I am single male in my mid 40's and just feels like the Audi Q5 and BMW X5 are more normal brand choices.

I realize plenty of "soccer Moms" drive the Q5 and X5 as well, but am I crazy to think this.

Personally, I don’t want the “normal brand choices” and feel the exterior look is aggressively sporty. Especially from the front. I’m also in my 40’s but married with a newborn. I chose Volvo for comfort. I say with them for safety and technology.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I looked at all three of those also and settled on the XC60. It by no means has the brand cachet of BMW or Audi (at least around here) but are you really buying a car for that? I mean if the vehicle is meant to impress a potential mate go with a Jag, MB, Maserati, Porsche, etc. I looked at all those options, too, and still went with the XC60 (although the MB GLE 550e was a close second).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
827 Posts
I can only say that comfort, interior design and ride quality of Q5 is nowhere near XC60. I just had a Q5 rental (SilverCar) for a few days, and the contrast with my wife's SUV was dramatic. Seats (at least in the base 2.0T trim) are very firm and uncomfortable in the Audi. Ride is bordering on unacceptable - you will feel every little bump on the road. It does handle a little bit better, but not worth it. X5 is an excellent choice, but reliability is more of a question mark than the Volvo. BMW does present a more masculine image, although XC60 R-design in black or blue looks plenty aggressive, especially with a factory styling kit. :thumbup:

PS. One of my wife's previous SUV's was a Q5 3.2. We bought it new, in the first year of production. The car had several major warranty repairs while we owned it, and I could not get used to the seats then either. It did have a more compliant ride than the current generation, but still firmer than XC60.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I current own an ‘18 XC60 T6 inscription. When we purchased our car last year, we went and test drove the BMW X3 and the Audi Q5.

The seats in the Q5 weren’t as comfortable as the Volvo. The engine felt smoother / quieter but not by much.

BMW came closest to the Volvo. The drive was very smooth and seats were pretty comfortable.
In the end for us, we chose the Volvo over BMW for comfort and safety. If you like a sportier drive, the BMW definitely felt better (smoother).

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Volvo and Q5 are the same class as X3, X5 is a category like XC90
I have a 2018 Q5 and XC60 2018, for me is Q5 is a better car

After all, here you can read my personal observation:
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?579575-Volvo-XC60-T5-R-Design-vs-Audi-Q5-2-0TFSI-S-line

This is my personal observation, of course there is always a different opinion, the choice is yours

If you want a sporty, aggressive look, consider X4 / X6, Q8 or GLC Coupe

·
Registered
664 Posts
Personally, every SUV looks like a “soccer Moms” vehicle. My friends say the xc60 looks more “soccer momish” than my previous XC90 did. My wife even says she liked the XC90 more.

Maybe check out a V90 or V60 wagon? I love wagons, but trade in values aren’t as strong as SUV trade in values, hence the reason I keep buying SUV’s.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Get the "R" or even the new Polestar Engineered model and upgraded rims. A little more sporty looking.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Which soccer mom drives an XC60 or Q5? Soccer moms go for three rows...
But I echo the sentiment. You want a sleek looking vehicle, don't buy an SUV.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Maybe look at a new S60. Sleek looks that no one would ever consider soccer mom and it also significantly cheaper and has the same interior as the XC60.

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Soccer Mom Mobile?? How about DINK Adventure Wagon: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?593623-XC60-T8-Off-Road-in-the-Valley-of-Death

I mean really, the Audi is shaped like a potato, and the old X5s truly have not the slightest off-pavement cred (note the new X5 is better after copying a whole bunch of Volvo DNA, even down to the crystal shiftier lol)
What would you prefer walking up to in the parking lot every day?
The shape of a car is a personal choice, what somebody likes for someone is ugly

Americans love this form of "potato"

New X5 after copying a whole bunch of Volvo DNA, this is good joke

BMW X5:
1 First generation (E53; 1999–2006)
2 Second generation (E70; 2006–2013)
3 Third generation (F15; 2013–2018)
4 Fourth generation (G05; 2019–present)

VS Volvo XC90
1. First generation (P2): 2002–2016
2. Second generation (SPA): 2016 - present

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can you translate the reply please. Most of us just see this ......

This message is hidden because BigBang is on your ignore list.
View Post

Remove user from ignore list

·
Registered
251 Posts
Can you translate the reply please. Most of us just see this ......

This message is hidden because BigBang is on your ignore list.
View Post

Remove user from ignore list
LOL!!

He tried to troll my post by saying:
A, because Americans buy more Q5s than XC60s the potato shape must be better/more desirable.
B, because the X5 has existed for longer and more generations than the XC60 there's no way the X could be stealing design cues from the XC.

Since both points are laughably off the point or easily refutable I thought I'd just cut to the chase instead of feeding him :deadhorse:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Okay BigBang, I'll ask it, why are you here?
What's your problem?
You write something baseless and I give you evidence, I do not write anything without the proof

For eight years sales results speak for themselves, cars of the same class and prices: Audi 364,000 vs Volvo 173,000

What is BMW stole in the design of Volvo, specify exactly what parts of the design they are related to :confused:. Perhaps, based on your expert analysis, Volvo can sue BMW and earn hundreds of millions of $$$

1 - 20 of 31 Posts