SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While in the immediate future we expect the see the larger S90 sedan and V90 wagon from Volvo, the Swedish automaker is also developing smaller models on its new CMA (Compact Modular Architecture) platform. Our spy shooters spotted one of those, the XC40 compact crossover, testing in prototype form in Europe, giving us hints about this upcoming model.

The Volvo XC40 will be part of the brand's compact "40" range, fitting below midsize "60" range that comprises the S60, V60, and XC60 and looking to compete with other small crossovers like the Audi Q3 and BMW X1. The prototype mule in these photos appears to use the body from the current-generation, European-market Volvo V40 hatchback, but with a significantly higher ride height. Expect the final production car to use more design cues from the newer generation of Volvos, such as the corporate grille and "Thor's hammer" headlights seen on the XC90 SUV.

Volvo's planned three-cylinder Drive-E engines could be suitable for a smaller vehicle like the XC40. Volvo has publicly committed to offering engines of only four cylinders or fewer. We can also expect to see plug-in hybrid powertrains in cars riding on Volvo's CMA platform.

Volvo CEO Hakan Samuelsson told reporters that the XC40 will debut before 2019, but after the rest of the Volvo lineup has been updated. The 40 series will also include an S40 sedan and a V40 hatchback. It's still uncertain whether any of the 40-series cars will come to the U.S. market, or whether they will be exclusive to Europe and Volvo. Reports suggest the V40 hatchback will make it to the U.S. market.

Look for the Volvo XC40 to arrive sometime between 2017 (when the first CMA vehicles are slated to launch) and 2019.

Source: http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...ct-crossover-spied-testing-in-prototype-form/

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Well it's a V40 used as a test bed for XC40 suspension/underpinning perhaps. Not a spied XC40, as a wider track on a V40 is hardly "giving us hints about this upcoming model". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I've been enamored with the V40 from the get go. Loved the C30 but it just needed the extra doors and an update. The XC version may just get me back in a Volvo. Will be eagerly waiting more details.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's awesome. Can't wait.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm right smack in the target market for this car, can't wait to see the final product. It might be one of few cars worthy of succeeding my current '14 Mazda3 with the 2.5-liter Skyactiv-G I-4

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
You can see the wider track, especially in the rear....or it's someone's old V40CC with the wrong offset wheels.

·
Registered
420 Posts
As Bmo Pete said - its the body of a current model V40 (or V40CC - same body) presumably on a prototype CMA chassis. I'm assuming it must be at least a prototype of the CMA platform because otherwise what would be the point? As far as the body is concerned, this is not what the new XC40 (or next generation V40) will look like.

Tony

·
Registered
704 Posts
Some informations about the share platform CMA geely/volvo

GEP: 3-cyl 1,5L
VEP: 4-cyl petrol 2,0L
VED: 4-cyl diesel 2,0L
DCT7: Volvo/geely double clutch 7
AWF22: Aisin 8

Twistbeam: Geely
Trailing arm: Volvo

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think

AWF22: Aisin 6at

AWF45: Aisin 8

Some informations about the share platform CMA geely/volvo

GEP: 3-cyl 1,5L
VEP: 4-cyl petrol 2,0L
VED: 4-cyl diesel 2,0L
DCT7: Volvo/geely double clutch 7
AWF22: Aisin 8

Twistbeam: Geely
Trailing arm: Volvo

·
Registered
395 Posts
Are we supposed to see all these slides? Aren't they some kind of corporate secret? We don't want to support Volvo's competition, do we?

·
Registered
770 Posts
This looks like the stuff of industry conference presentations. I have adequate qualifications to assess what I'm looking at (should Iist them? no, because who cares...) and I'm quite confident that nothing in here would erode Volvo's competitive advantage. It's very high-level.

More importantly, I really hope a new V40 comes to US shores in advance of my lease expiring. Most of me wants something a little bigger for the 5% of the time that I want more space, but there's a smaller, saner part of me that refuses to die and would really enjoy a small, quick, comfortable, less-expensive AWD hatch. I don't really care if it arrives in CC trim or not.

·
Registered
770 Posts
This looks like the stuff of industry conference presentations. I have adequate qualifications to assess what I'm looking at (should Iist them? no, because who cares...) and I'm quite confident that nothing in here would erode Volvo's competitive advantage. It's very high-level.

More importantly, I really hope a new V40 comes to US shores in advance of my lease expiring. Most of me wants something a little bigger for the 5% of the time that I want more space, but there's a smaller, saner part of me that refuses to die which would really enjoy a small, quick, comfortable, less-expensive AWD hatch. I don't really care if it arrives in CC/XC trim or not.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Unlike the actual V40 only available in AWD in Cross Country form
The "low CMA vehicules" are going to be available with an option AWD drivetrain:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unlike the actual V40 only available in AWD in Cross Country form
The "low CMA vehicules" are going to be available with an option AWD drivetrain:
Well, that's good news, thanks for posting the slide. Maybe this time around we'll get a sporty hatchback with AWD.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts