SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this will have the Android UI. It could be the same chassis of Polestar 2 mated with XC40 body.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/volvo-xc40-full-electric-variant-debut-later-year

GOTHENBURG -- Volvo will reveal the full-electric version of the XC40 before the end of the year, the company told Automotive News Europe at a safety event here last week. Officials declined to provide additional details.

The XC40 will be the first battery-driven model from the Swedish brand and the second full-electric vehicle from the Volvo Car Group. The first was the Polestar 2, which the group’s electrified performance brand debuted in February and revealed to the public at the Geneva auto show this month.

Both full-electric vehicles will be on the road by 2020.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Volvo is really behind the XC40, so am I.
Of course, compact SUV is the hottest market segment. I actually wish they do it earlier, right after Polestar 2 was revealed, and sell it side by side with P*2. Then more customers will want to come take a look and pick either one.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Another story about it:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...13782fc&bhid=28117701848405369714729457748202

It's really time for Swedespeed to create an Electric Volvo sub-forum, in which they could have threads devoted to both PHEVs and BEVs... Otherwise too much of this electric stuff will get buried in sub-forums devoted to ICE vehicles, and won't be so easy to find... I suspect that there are many at Swedespeed who, like me, are becoming really focused on PHEVs and BEVs more than ICE-only vehicles now... Things are going to start happening really fast in the coming years in the transition from ICE-only to EVs, among all car brands.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another story about it:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...13782fc&bhid=28117701848405369714729457748202

It's really time for Swedespeed to create an Electric Volvo sub-forum, in which they could have threads devoted to both PHEVs and BEVs... Otherwise too much of this electric stuff will get buried in sub-forums devoted to ICE vehicles, and won't be so easy to find... I suspect that there are many at Swedespeed who, like me, are becoming really focused on PHEVs and BEVs more than ICE-only vehicles now... Things are going to start happening really fast in the coming years in the transition from ICE-only to EVs, among all car brands.
And the confusing part for many is, it is not a one-way transition, it is an addition of EVs. More and more people will get hands on EVs but they will still drive both kinds.

·
Registered
667 Posts
And the confusing part for many is, it is not a one-way transition, it is an addition of EVs. More and more people will get hands on EVs but they will still drive both kinds.
Yes, exactly! I think that most households with an all-electric car also have either a hybrid or an ICE-only vehicle. It makes a lot of sense to enter the EV market this way for most people, to have that ICE vehicle still for when there's not enough electric range (for longer trips). I do think that PHEVs will make more practical sense for many people in the coming decade or two, and I predict that PHEVs will become much more popular before ICE-only vehicles are no longer manufactured.

In the US, I think that the big change in society to buying EVs will not take place until EV pick-up trucks become sold in large numbers. But SUV BEVs and pick-up BEVs may come in together at a fast pace in the next decade or so. I'm rather optimistic on this happening quickly, because still only about 2% of the US new-car sales last year were plug-in electric cars. But I think that auto manufacturers that do not go all-out for PHEVs and BEVs in the next 3-4 years will risk getting very behind. I do hope that Volvo puts a lot of effort into increasing their PHEV's and BEV's all-electric range in the next few years, because range is going to be a big factor in selling or not selling these vehicles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts