SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the Volvo rims/wheels I've seen all have a common defect. The defect is the inverted groove/bead that runs around the center of the wheel.

The inverted bead prevents simple centrifugal force from washing out the mud and junk that gets trapped on the rim groove.

The real problem occurs when mud on one side of the bead circumference drops out - or is splashed clean by undercarriage rain and snow water rooster tails, partially "cleaning" the bead in one section of the circumference, but not all of it.

The weight of the mud trapped in one side of the groove/bead substantially unbalances the wheel/tire assembly and mild to severe vibration ensues.

This imbalance doesn't happen once in a while. It happens all the time. It is dangerous, tough on the suspension and makes driving annoying.

The fix? Get a stiff brush and get under the wheels so the groove can be flushed or brushed clean, and rinsed with water. Try and do that when it's below freezing:mad:

I was thinking about taking the four rims to a body shop, have them roughen up the groove, fill it with Bondo and fill the void so it cannot collect debris.

Volvo engineers a helluva car. It s amazing this defect has been allowed to continue for so long! The "fix" would add not one dime to the cost of manufacture.

Whattaya think?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
If you mean the one inside the rim, I can assure you from over 55 years of car ownership that Volvo rims are by far not the only ones that build up dried mud inside the rim.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
If you mean the one inside the rim, I can assure you from over 55 years of car ownership that Volvo rims are by far not the only ones that build up dried mud inside the rim.
Haha!! You've got me beat. But I can assure you that with only 44 years of car ownership, I've seen this problem on a good number of cars.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So?

Does that make it okay that that design is still allowed by anyone who wants to use them? I'm sure they're there to add rigidity to the the 7-8" span between the inner and outer bead. There's much safer ways to make the wheel that wouldn't add much to the cost of manufacturing - if any. I regret buying a snow tire set of rims that were OEM's. Of course since they're identical, they have the "mud groove" as do the on the summer tires.

I'm sure some after-market wheel maker makes them without the mud groove. Under some rare circumstances, all four rims get in synch and if they all have a part of the bead filled with mud, they'll scare the hell out of you at anything above 30.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.