SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Aside from my driver's ed course written for and tested at a 6th grade level, my road test was literally 4 right turns, ie around a block, and nothing else. What does Volvo mean American driver's ed can be improved?
Like how to effectively brandish a hand-held weapon while driving a Volvo without air suspension in America (in those legal carry states), or how to more effectively use Volvo's stability control when cutting people off, or perhaps how to properly manage drive mode settings when stoplight racing for best efficiency throughout a Friday night? Maybe how not to let Volvo's new 112mph speed limiter prevent you from passing on the right lane?

Can Volvo be more specific? Can anyone help out here?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had each of my four kids take their driving test in my '83 242 with a manual transmission. They all passed.

Note: With one of my kids, the tester said she hopes they can drive a stick shift because she will not be able to take over and drive the car back because she doesn't know how to drive a manual!

:)

·
Registered
3,650 Posts

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aside from my driver's ed course written for and tested at a 6th grade level, my road test was literally 4 right turns, ie around a block, and nothing else. What does Volvo mean American driver's ed can be improved?
Like how to effectively brandish a hand-held weapon while driving a Volvo without air suspension in America (in those legal carry states), or how to more effectively use Volvo's stability control when cutting people off, or perhaps how to properly manage drive mode settings when stoplight racing for best efficiency throughout a Friday night? Maybe how not to let Volvo's new 112mph speed limiter prevent you from passing on the right lane?

Can Volvo be more specific? Can anyone help out here?
I bet it will be defensive driving tips. Observe and be considerate on road, don't pass on right lane, how to change lane in round-about, etc. Told you, nothing funny. :)

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
I think it's a great idea. My kids participated in a one-day teen defensive driving class organized by Mid Ohio Sports Car Course that toured around the state. It was really well done with sessions in the skid car, slalom with one of our family cars, other evasive maneuvers, and classroom instruction.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's a great idea. My kids participated in a one-day teen defensive driving class organized by Mid Ohio Sports Car Course that toured around the state. It was really well done with sessions in the skid car, slalom with one of our family cars, other evasive maneuvers, and classroom instruction.
Ask your kids, sports driving? fun fun fun,
defensive driving? meh, meh, meh. :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I really felt like responding to this.
First off: I got my Norwegian licence back in 1988 at age 18. After a theoretical and practical course the test should prove my skills, both in theory and practical driving.

https://www.vegvesen.no/en/driving-licences/driver-training

I believe drivers ed in all the four Nordic countries are among the most throughout in the world.
We are not just trained (and quizzed) for keeping the car on the road around the block.
We are thought how to drive on pitch dark roads (high/low beam seeing walking pedestrians with or without wearing a reflex).
We are thought how to handle the car on icy roads, we are thought the importance of seatbelt, how long breaking distance at 40 vs. 60 km/h (and quizzed it on the exam).

How do fatigued drivers react?
How will heavy load on the roof or on a trailer effect steering and breaking.

I really think the security mindset for drivers in this part of the world is worth bringing foreward.

Have a look at the Swidish road to their drivers license.
https://youtu.be/2zcstjWQyzY

Pål
Norway

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The right education is indeed very important. I hope some VR software and a simple simulator can be used to teach driving on icy or other difficult roads.

However training is not all of it. From what I know, in China, new drivers have to complete training courses of months long, including twisting between poles, backing into, moving between parking lot. And those training was done on small trucks with manual transmission.

Then after finally getting driver license, many drivers drive like freed wolfs on open field. Some taxi drivers, experienced, drive like crazy. And on the other extreme, some other drivers bump into walls in parking garage, run over side rails, dive into rivers, and so on.

Thanks to dashcam and traffic cam everywhere now, there are many cam videos of ridiculous accidents.

On the other hand, in America, one can literally just learn from friends, practice in parking lot for a few days, then drive on road for some time with a drive on passenger seat, then pass the exam. People learned from friends, but my feeling is we are quite responsible driver and cautious. We do make mistakes sometimes, and feel the weakness of human drivers like ourselves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts