SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo has apparently been pushing this dealership to get with the program, and is now cutting off ties. Thought this was interesting in the context of occasional posts on here that highlight that some dealerships lag way behind in "premium-ness".

From the Houston Chronicle: https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBWeGg2?m=en-us&ocid=News

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Volvo has apparently been pushing this dealership to get with the program, and is now cutting off ties. Thought this was interesting in the context of occasional posts on here that highlight that some dealerships lag way behind in "premium-ness".

From the Houston Chronicle: https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBWeGg2?m=en-us&ocid=News
Created a lobby with used furniture...This guy sounds like a cheapskate trying to push Mercedes and other luxury brands. Who wants to drop mid 5 to 6 figures at a dealer projecting the disco era.

·
Registered
14,016 Posts
Interesting read, thanks for sharing.

I've seen this same thing play out several times in towns where I've lived - really hard for a dealership location, especially in a growing area like Houston, to remain a strong retail location with the attendant changes in traffic counts and demographics that occur over 50 years.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Interesting read, thanks for sharing.

I've seen this same thing play out several times in towns where I've lived - really hard for a dealership location, especially in a growing area like Houston, to remain a strong retail location with the attendant changes in traffic counts and demographics that occur over 50 years.
I've lived in Houston and am familiar with the Katy Area. Katy use to be a bit out there and rural, but like the rest of the Houston and surrounding areas, things have expanded.

This guy should invest in revamping his dealer into the 21st century to attract people. Even if he's off the beat and path a bit, that isn't an excuse to let the facilities go into a major state of decline.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
The gent is 77 and passed his TX bar in '66? He ain't gonna revamp isht. What an interesting story, thanks for sharing. Someone with a bit more Volvo pride go buy this geriatric SOB out, please.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
The gent is 77 and passed his TX bar in '66? He ain't gonna revamp isht. What an interesting story, thanks for sharing. Someone with a bit more Volvo pride go buy this geriatric SOB out, please.
The fact owner stocked the waiting room with used furniture says just about how much pride this guy takes in his assets....

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
This antediluvian dealership may be lacking a few amenities, but I'll bet their service department could fix my 8-track tape player. :D

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
This antediluvian dealership may be lacking a few amenities, but I'll bet their service department could fix my 8-track tape player. :D
They say that Disco is dead, but apparently it's still alive and well in Houston!

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
this dealership looks AWESOME from street view. I think I'll go by there and check it out.

I like the new volvo dealership look, but I dont think they all need to have the new cookie cutter look.

This guy should embrace the vintage vibe and just clean up what he's got.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
this dealership looks AWESOME from street view. I think I'll go by there and check it out.

I like the new volvo dealership look, but I dont think they all need to have the new cookie cutter look.

This guy should embrace the vintage vibe and just clean up what he's got.
Retro might be a selling point, if the furnishings weren't just as dated. Dealer could probably use vintage to his advantage if the facilities inside were top notch and up to par.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
So I went and looked at this dealership today as luck and travel would have it. It is gorgeous. It is so period correct, and they have went to painstaking efforts to keep it that way.

As much as I like the new modern Volvo dealerships, it is disgusting to me that Volvo, a company that claims to be about conservation and sustainability, would want this dealership to convert to the modern look. They should be bothering the garbage dealerships with EIFS walls and generic 90s beige junk that looks fly by night.

If you appreciate architecture, particularly the retail genre, then you would adore this place. It looks like something straight out of Mad Men. And it looks peak oil boom Texas.

I dunno what they were talking about with the used furniture, it looks fine to me. Also, it is air conditioned, that Volvo exec is simply lying. There is no way you can withstand Texas heat without AC.

I dont normally take up for dealerships, but I also like to give credit where credit is due and this dealership has stuck through thick and thin. Real classy place.

I think this dealership's appearance issues are not the problem. Volvo should work with them on a business model that fits their territory. But really Volvo, stop being a dick.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
Population the area has grown 10X and they are last in sales....something's being missed by them in reaching their target customer base.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Did the population grow 10x in people that can afford a modern volvo? I took a very "native" experience to get there and I can tell you the surrounding areas didnt really match a Volvo buyer demographic, or even a Kia buying demographic. It looked like they were getting plenty of Volvo service, and their reviews look good.

They have several other adjacent brands, would be interesting to know how those brand sales are doing as well. Those buildings are vintage as well.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Did the population grow 10x in people that can afford a modern volvo? I took a very "native" experience to get there and I can tell you the surrounding areas didnt really match a Volvo buyer demographic, or even a Kia buying demographic. It looked like they were getting plenty of Volvo service, and their reviews look good.

They have several other adjacent brands, would be interesting to know how those brand sales are doing as well. Those buildings are vintage as well.

Houston is a land of very rich and very poor. Like any major city. Lot of immigrant population, too, due to proximity to border. So I agree, 10x growth doesn't equate to 10x more sales.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought my new Volvo last year from a similar “throwback” dealership, and I liked it. It was small and there was a lot of personal attention; I felt like I was dealing with human beings instead of being funneled through some sort of process. One person handled the entire deal, from sales to finance, and that person happened to be the wife of the dealership owner.

Now, were the facilities premium? Not in the slightest. But the service was, they knew their products from A to Z, and the car has been excellent. I’d happily return for an authentic and stress free experience like this.

Unfortunately, shortly after I purchased my car, the dealership was bought out by one of the big local dealership groups with a reputation for scummy sales and service tactics, after having been a family-owned business for well over 30 years. At the same time, I moved across the country (to Texas, in fact), and I’m still looking for a place that can replicate the same kind of personal attention. I think it’s going to be hard to find.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
This place is premium, its just not current Volvo "premium".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts