SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as you know there are are lotta Tesla fans Etc. because of the auto pilot this that and the third. But you cannot tell me that the Tesla model three is better than the new Volvo S 60

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Well they're very different cars. Either you want an EV or you don't. Model 3 will absolutely smoke an S60 in all performance measures too. I went with the Volvo for the interior and because I don't have access to 220V in my garage currently but I seriously considered a Model 3.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I find a lot of people compare them and a lot of people have both. i service over a dozen teslas because they had volvos before or have spouse who does. they are neat but not practical for everyday use in my opinion. but im also in NH and they cold is not ideal for EV(good luck getting into a tesla when the door handles dont extend, there is ice on the side windows and they cannot go down to open the car, no regen in cold, 30% less capacity, you want heat? that will cost you range, etc)

i enjoy playing with them at work and driving them when i can but it would be a "toy" can and i would always need another ICE car for situational things. a PHEV would be the compromise i could live with everyday. ev for daily commuting, gas and go for the 6 hour trip to canadian border for snowmobiling.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well they're very different cars. Either you want an EV or you don't. Model 3 will absolutely smoke an S60 in all performance measures too. I went with the Volvo for the interior and because I don't have access to 220V in my garage currently but I seriously considered a Model 3.
Not the range on single fill up/charge.
Not yet.

Krzyś

·
Registered
12 Posts
So as you know there are are lotta Tesla fans Etc. because of the auto pilot this that and the third. But you cannot tell me that the Tesla model three is better than the new Volvo S 60
Better how? Better EV, better acceleration, better electronics? Yes to all of those. Better build quality, better interior, better safety, better usability for many American drivers? No to probably not for most of those.

The Model 3 is an outstanding EV and it's in most, if not all ways, better than any of its direct competition. But the build quality, paint quality, etc. isn't very good. If you're really into cars, like I am, that's an issue. I also HATE the center mounted screen and wouldn't buy a 3 or a Y simply because of that. There are other issues, as many folks in N. CA found, when you have a pure EV and you lose power (as my state shut down power for weeks in areas last year), you're screwed. Also, ask anyone who owns any Tesla model what their insurance rates look like AND what their experiences are like when they have a fender bender and you'll cringe.

Now the acceleration in the top line Telsa's is other worldly... but even that gets old (at least to me) without the sound. And Tesla's approach to updating features is so much better than other manufacturers, IMO... But we purposely purchased a V60 T8 Polestar rather than a Model 3 for a plethora of reasons and don't regret it for one second.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Better how? Better EV, better acceleration, better electronics? Yes to all of those. Better build quality, better interior, better safety, better usability for many American drivers? No to probably not for most of those.

The Model 3 is an outstanding EV and it's in most, if not all ways, better than any of its direct competition. But the build quality, paint quality, etc. isn't very good. If you're really into cars, like I am, that's an issue. I also HATE the center mounted screen and wouldn't buy a 3 or a Y simply because of that. There are other issues, as many folks in N. CA found, when you have a pure EV and you lose power (as my state shut down power for weeks in areas last year), you're screwed. Also, ask anyone who owns any Tesla model what their insurance rates look like AND what their experiences are like when they have a fender bender and you'll cringe.

Now the acceleration in the top line Telsa's is other worldly... but even that gets old (at least to me) without the sound. And Tesla's approach to updating features is so much better than other manufacturers, IMO... But we purposely purchased a V60 T8 Polestar rather than a Model 3 for a plethora of reasons and don't regret it for one second.
Heh, same here. I had a deposit down for a Model 3 Performance, but passed on it for a PE as well because of the build quality and interior. But god damn was the Model 3 a great car to drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just traded in my Model 3 AWD to a V60 T6, so I'll throw my 2 cents here.

I mostly enjoyed the Model 3 when I had it, it's a great leap forward for the automotive world making electric cars mainstream. The benefits of an electric car are all there: the instant torque, the acceleration, and low maintenance costs - all of which provide a different kind of overall driving enjoyment for the general public.

I see build quality as the overall main hurdle for Tesla to overcome with the Model 3. Mine (early 2019 build date) had fairly minor issues (none which needed the car to be brought in), but I just offloaded a few accessories to a new Model 3 owner with and he pointed out all the deficiencies from his unit anywhere from obvious door misalignment and paint defects. In spite of these issues the owner is still very happy with his car because it's such an enormous upgrade from his previous car from a driving experience and clout perspective. Still it's not enough for me to stop recommending the car my friends that aren't into cars if they have the charging situation figured out. Having a lower operating and maintenance cost in the short term is a big advantage with a Tesla over its similar-priced competitors, and the constant free OTA updates bearing new features are welcome bonuses that help owners overlook any minor issues from the hardware itself.

Personally I had growing pains staying comfortable with the seats, and the overall driving experience didn't suit my taste despite the instant acceleration the vehicle delivers. Even though the V60 is slower and doesn't carry that wow factor, this thing is built like a tank and I feel extremely comfortable in the seats. Overall I'm very happy with my decision, and I've received positive reactions from everyone that's seen the car as how nice the vehicle is inside out. :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I am curious about this. The awesome 0-60 sometimes clouds the "performance" aspect. A Chevy Bolt is a performance car by 0-60 but I bet it's not much fun other than that party trick. While the acceleration is cool as heck, my drag racing days are over. I know Tesla is offering performance packages now with brakes and suspension. Subjectively they don't seem to have a whole package to make a drivers car, like appropriate sport seats would be something I would want.

I'm not ready for EV yet anyways, but so far the Polestar 2 with the performance package looks to be the ticket for an EV driver's car. And the build quality of a Volvo.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
So funny enough ended up parked next to one today. The quality difference was astronomical, though I will say this model 3 was probably a really early one, it looked *well* used, probably a lot of miles on it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My observations, based on my 2018 V90 T6 Inscription vs my son in law’s 2018 Tesla 3 dual motor.

The Tesla represents a future path in the development of electric cars, but the fit, finish, and overall comfort lag quite away behind our Volvo. I’ve only driven the Tesla once, and the acceleration is quite amazing, the handling is sort of meh. I will say it seems well balanced, but the OEM tires seem barely adequate to the task. The front seats are fairly comfortable, but the material feels sort of cheap for a car of this cost. I don’t buy cars to ride in the back seat, but a 1 1/2 hour trip in the back of the 3 bordered on torture for this old boy. My ‘65 VW bug had a more comfortable back seat. Of course the VW didn’t have seat belts, but the 3’s ratcheting shoulder strap kept getting tighter with each bump. Pretty annoying.

The Tesla fits our son in law’s transportation needs perfectly, short commute, and a charging system at home that includes a huge solar panel display. His energy cost per mile is exceedingly low, and the car is fairly well built and should last him a long time.

Our V90 seems much more robustly constructed, and though not as quiet at in town speeds, it’s just as quiet at highway speeds where tire noise is the dominant factor. I actually enjoy hearing an IC engine rev up as I *ahem* reach cruising speed while merging with freeway traffic. The quality of the interior is significantly better in touch, assembly, and aesthetics. I’m sort of a student of automotive design, and think Mr Ingelath did a great job with the V90. The Tesla 3 is a bit if disappointment, especially compared to it’s big brother S. The S is one of the better looking cars on the road, the 3...not so much.

Considering that his 3 cost several thousands more than our Inscription, I’m not dazzled enough by the 3 to ever consider one for my own use.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My observations, based on my 2018 V90 T6 Inscription vs my son in law’s 2018 Tesla 3 dual motor.

The Tesla represents a future path in the development of electric cars, but the fit, finish, and overall comfort lag quite away behind our Volvo. I’ve only driven the Tesla once, and the acceleration is quite amazing, the handling is sort of meh. I will say it seems well balanced, but the OEM tires seem barely adequate to the task. The front seats are fairly comfortable, but the material feels sort of cheap for a car of this cost. I don’t buy cars to ride in the back seat, but a 1 1/2 hour trip in the back of the 3 bordered on torture for this old boy. My ‘65 VW bug had a more comfortable back seat. Of course the VW didn’t have seat belts, but the 3’s ratcheting shoulder strap kept getting tighter with each bump. Pretty annoying.

The Tesla fits our son in law’s transportation needs perfectly, short commute, and a charging system at home that includes a huge solar panel display. His energy cost per mile is exceedingly low, and the car is fairly well built and should last him a long time.

Our V90 seems much more robustly constructed, and though not as quiet at in town speeds, it’s just as quiet at highway speeds where tire noise is the dominant factor. I actually enjoy hearing an IC engine rev up as I *ahem* reach cruising speed while merging with freeway traffic. The quality of the interior is significantly better in touch, assembly, and aesthetics. I’m sort of a student of automotive design, and think Mr Ingelath did a great job with the V90. The Tesla 3 is a bit if disappointment, especially compared to it’s big brother S. The S is one of the better looking cars on the road, the 3...not so much.

Considering that his 3 cost several thousands more than our Inscription, I’m not dazzled enough by the 3 to ever consider one for my own use.
Very nice write-up; thanks for sharing an interesting viewpoint of these two vehicles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I considered Tesla briefly before going with Volvo. The underlying EV tech is excellent and they are really still unmatched in terms of EV performance per dollar. To be honest if Tesla offered something in a true wagon form factor that looked as good as the V60/V90, it would have been very hard for me to stay away. And that is even factoring in the worse build quality vs. competition and me not wanting to give an obnoxious CEO any of my financial support.

·
Registered
558 Posts
There are other issues, as many folks in N. CA found, when you have a pure EV and you lose power (as my state shut down power for weeks in areas last year), you're screwed.
I would assume that meant that gas stations didn't have power to pump gas either.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would assume that meant that gas stations didn't have power to pump gas either.
True that!

One station where we live (Greater Puget Sound in the Everwet State) has their own standby generator. But that is exceedingly rare. We lose power frequently, so that station gets pretty busy when most others are out of business...lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts