SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference-advantage or disadvantage on going with the IPD cable of Volvo cable for an IPOD connection. I'm going to have the dealer install the connection.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Re: Volvo vs. IPD IPOD cable (edonald849)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>edonald849</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there any difference-advantage or disadvantage on going with the IPD cable of Volvo cable for an IPOD connection. I'm going to have the dealer install the connection.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>If you're going to have your dealer install it, I'd get the Volvo kit so they don't have any "issues" installing the aftermarket part. <p>Otherwise, you could have ours installed by any decent stereo shop in under an hour. It comes with an installation DVD. <p>Ours has a couple of features that make it more attactive than the OEM one. <p>First, the display of the ipod is not disabled as it is on the original Volvo kit so you can still navigate your playlists normally etc.<p>Second- ours also offers an additional auxillary stero RCA input for a sattellite radio receiver . mp3 player etc. <p><br>Either way, it's a great addition to the sound system.<br>

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx for the info scott, i ordered yooz guys cable fri. the dealer wanted 600 for the part and the install

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: (edonald849)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>edonald849</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanx for the info scott, i ordered yooz guys cable fri. the dealer wanted <b>600 for the part and the install</b></TD></TR></TABLE><p>What!?! Did your retailer get some special shipment of 24 karat gold-plated iPod kits? Might it be diamond-encrusted? SOMEBODY is on drugs to give you a price like that.<p>I have the Volvo kit, and while it does what it's supposed to, it does have limited functionality as Scott mentioned. With hindsight being 20/20, if I were to give it another go, I'd go with ipd's solution for its increased functionality.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts

Did you not get Satellite Radio Preparation? <p>Even if you didn't, $450 tops should be the charge.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: Volvo vs. IPD IPOD cable (Scott Hart)

Scott, <br>I can't seem to find the ipod cable listed on your site. Could you or anyone else provide a link? Thanks

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Re: Volvo vs. IPD IPOD cable (JABRD__s60R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JABRD__s60R</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Scott, <br>I can't seem to find the ipod cable listed on your site. Could you or anyone else provide a link? Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Here ya go. (it may not have been up earlier)<p><A HREF="http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=1797&NodeID=5750&RootID=629" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ipdusa.com/Products...D=629</A>

·
Registered
700 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>edonald849</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lee, my r doesnt have sat radio or nav in the head unit, that makes the install more expensive</TD></TR></TABLE><br>my dealer quoted me $220 - $330 depending on wires needed. Because I have sat. prep. and no nav, mine should be running about $220. Plus I am using my VCOA membership to get a discount on the parts so it should be cheaper yet.

·
Registered
181 Posts

thanks<br>this one works with the newest gen ipods doesn't it?<br>how hard is it to pull the radio? any special tools? might try this one myself<br>wish i saw this before i placed my last order lol

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Re: Volvo vs. IPD IPOD cable (JABRD__s60R)

is there a way to tell if i received the satellite radio prep.? when i ordered my car through OSD, there was no mention of getting the prep. for it.<br>So assuming my car ISN'T prepped, how much extra work must I go through to install the IPOD adapter?!

·
Registered
102 Posts

I ordered the IPD ipod adapter cable and installed it in my 2005 V70R a couple of weeks ago. I provided a brief write up at v70r.com<p>Neil<br>

·
Registered
79 Posts

scott,<p>is the IPD cable compatible if i have sat. prep and NAV?<p>thanks,<p>

·
Registered
700 Posts
Got my iPod kit installed on Tuesday and am a little upset about it. I also purchased the Sirius kit to install myself. I went to put the Sirius kit in and come to find that they used my Sirius prep cable to install my iPod. So now I can only have one or the other.. Not cool

·
Registered
609 Posts
I got the USpec or whatever it's called model close to a year ago. Cost like $120 and one hour ($45) of installation at the local stereo shop. Works great except it appears it charges slightly slower than the power it uses so if you listen to it 100% of the time you drive the car, it will eventually run out of batteries, takes a while. Not sure if it is just my unit or what. Forgive me if this has already been discussed.<br>

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Re: (Cementups)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Cementups</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Got my iPod kit installed on Tuesday and am a little upset about it. I also purchased the Sirius kit to install myself. I went to put the Sirius kit in and come to find that they used my Sirius prep cable to install my iPod. So now I can only have one or the other.. Not cool</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Hi Ryan, <p>With our NAV version, you can run both. (2 inputs)

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Re: Volvo vs. IPD IPOD cable (jasondew)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>jasondew</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">scott,<p>is the IPD cable compatible if i have sat. prep and NAV?<p>thanks,<p></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yes, <p>You just need to order the kit for cars with NAV.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Re: (Cementups)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Cementups</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Got my iPod kit installed on Tuesday and am a little upset about it. I also purchased the Sirius kit to install myself. I went to put the Sirius kit in and come to find that they used my Sirius prep cable to install my iPod. So now I can only have one or the other.. Not cool</TD></TR></TABLE><p>The inputs on the back of the head unit allow for something called "Daisy Chaining" This means that multiple components can be connected the same input on the back of the head unit. mrg_ed's adaptor uses this method to allow for 3 components (I think, he keeps adding more) to be connected through the same input on the radio. So, as Scott said, all you need is the right cable. Then you won't have to choose between your sat radio and your ipod.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Re: (luke8302)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>luke8302</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>The inputs on the back of the head unit allow for something called "Daisy Chaining" This means that multiple components can be connected the same input on the back of the head unit. mrg_ed's adaptor uses this method to allow for 3 components (I think, he keeps adding more) to be connected through the same input on the radio. So, as Scott said, all you need is the right cable. Then you won't have to choose between your sat radio and your ipod.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>It is a little more complicated than only the right cable as I found out developing my interface. The real problems start with more devices, because they need to be aware of each other and confirm to the delicate arbitration that is on the Melbus. That's why USASpec and the Volvo iPod adapter have (or had) compatibility issues (with RTI and earlier model cars, and who knows with SAT too). <br>So, you will also need the right firmware for your adapter. Both Volvo and USASpec have released several firmwares to tackle the issues, but I'm not sure if all issues are solved at the moment.<p>

1 - 20 of 22 Posts