SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Volvo - Volvo VIP Gold Warranty, buyer beware!

16K views 96 replies 25 participants last post by  21XC90Recharge 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought my Volvo VIP Gold warranty on 12/31/2020 as my factory warranty on my 2017 Volvo XC90 t6 Momentum Plus was expiring. I paid $2600 for a 7 year warranty and I'm covered till 101,000 miles. Or so I thought.

First off, debating VIP Gold vs. Platinum warranty. There is absolutely nothing in the documentation provided that shows any marked coverage exclusions or inclusions on the platinum over the Gold. All I kept hearing was, platinum covers what Gold doesn't. But nothing to show exactly what.

One thing I will say about the Volvo VIP Gold Warranty is that they play alot of games. It's a rip off if you ask me, but if you plan to keep your car past the factory warranty you don't have any other extended warranty option that won't do the same.

Roll your dice with any extended warranty, but this so called Volvo VIP warranty is all about what they say is included, what's not mentioned, and what is specifically excluded.

When the Volvo dealership calls their number, they argue something is NOT included therefore its excluded. However, the document goes to spell out specifically what IS excluded but there are many things that fall into the category of "what's not mentioned". So if one of those expensive parts fails, they will just say we didn't say that was included.

I paid $2600 for a "Volvo" extended warranty for a Volvo dealership (not steingold Volvo) to argue with another party and say your Volvo extended warranty does not cover what a factory warranty does. You end up feeling like the sucker for falling for this trap. I know I do.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
$1000 (2) tailgate pulldown power motor. It's part of the rear tension spring assembly. Failed at 35,000miles.

I am in communication with VCNA, they need to understand that something that carries the Volvo name is brand recognized as being part of their organization. If a factory Volvo warranty is better than a Volvo VIP warranty, it needs to be clearly disclosed. I am praying at this point they will good will fix it, but I would hate for one of you to take on an extended warranty under false pretenses.

#5 ·
I bought my Steingold Volvo VIP Gold warranty on 12/31/2020 as my factory warranty on my 2017 Volvo XC90 t6 Momentum Plus was expiring. I paid $2600 for a 7 year warranty and I'm covered till 101,000 miles. Or so I thought.

First off, debating VIP Gold vs. Platinum warranty. There is absolutely nothing in the documentation provided that shows any marked coverage exclusions or inclusions on the platinum over the Gold. All I kept hearing was, platinum covers what Gold doesn't. But nothing to show exactly what.

B]*The Platinum coverage would have covered this by the definition of the platinum warranty. If it doesn't list it specifically as not covered, it is covered. I looked through the details of the platinum warranty...and this part is covered. Because it doesn't mention it.[/B

One thing I will say about the Steingold Volvo VIP Gold Warranty is that they play alot of games. It's a rip off if you ask me, but if you plan to keep your car past the factory warranty you don't have any other extended warranty option that won't do the same.

Roll your dice with any extended warranty, but this so called Volvo VIP warranty is all about what they say is included, what's not mentioned, and what is specifically excluded.

*Again, that is why platinum is a better route. It says what isn't covered. Everything else is covered.

When the Volvo dealership calls their number, they argue something is NOT included therefore its excluded. However, the document goes to spell out specifically what IS excluded but there are many things that fall into the category of "what's not mentioned". So if one of those expensive parts fails, they will just say we didn't say that was included.

I paid $2600 for a "Volvo" extended warranty for a Volvo dealership (not steingold Volvo) to argue with another party and say your Volvo extended warranty does not cover what a factory warranty does. You end up feeling like the sucker for falling for this trap. I know I do.
I think you're the first very unlucky people to see the difference between both warranties. I hope you get a resolution from corporate.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

#6 ·
This is the difference between a inclusionary warranty and an exclusionary.

The gold plans are inclusionary. If it doesn’t say it’s covered, it isn’t covered.

The platinum is exclusionary. If it isn’t excluded, it’s covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 · (Edited)
This is the difference between a inclusionary warranty and an exclusionary.

The gold plans are inclusionary. If it doesn't say it's covered, it isn't covered.

The platinum is exclusionary. If it isn't excluded, it's covered.
Thanks for explaining all this and digging out the platinum vs gold details. I definitely understand the difference now! [emoji106]

Gold (INCLUSIONARY):
Only the listed items are INcluded in coverage.

Platinum (EXCLUSIONARY):
Only the listed items are EXcluded from coverage.

Reactions: seawolf
#7 · (Edited)
I was told different when I bought my warranty 3 months ago. Until you have to actually use the warranty, I don't think anyone including myself should speculate about non wear and tear parts being covered. I was led to believe that the Gold warranty covers as much as platinum because it has inclusions and exclusions. The platinum warranty is the same, just a few more inclusions.

Does the verbage on the contract list every component in every trim? I don't think so.

It however does not specifically call out any parts so you won't know if something obscure is covered because it doesn't say it does. These warranties and their prices are being sold at super competitive rates by dealers on this forum and local to where you live. However they are not as ironclad as they appear. Beware.

#9 ·
I was told different when I bought my warranty 3 months ago.
From the brochure I pulled up (valid when I bought mine a few years back, ymmv)

PLATINUM IS EXCLUSIONARY COVERAGE:
This means it covers your vehicle's assemblies unless listed under the Exclusions section of the Vehicle Service Contract.
PLATINUM EXCLUSIONS:
Brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard manual transmission clutch friction disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw-out bearing and arm, air bags, solar powered devices, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts and/or panels, weather stripping, trim, moldings, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, all batteries except Hybrid/EV/Hydrogen High Voltage batteries as listed under Gold Coverage, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, filters, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, catalytic converter, shock absorbers, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing (except when required in conjunction with a mechanical breakdown), safety restraint systems, audio/security or other systems not factory installed, or vinyl and convertible tops.
* See service contract for additional details"

Whereas:

Gold offers the following features. Certain restrictions, limitations and/or exclusions may apply.*
• ENGINE
• COOLING
• TRANSMISSION
• DRIVE AXLE
• STEERING
• BRAKES
• AIR CONDITIONING
• FRONT/REAR SUSPENSION
• ELECTRICAL
• ADDITIONAL HYBRID/PLUG-IN
ELECTRIC/COMPRESSED NATURAL GAS/HYDROGEN COMPONENTS
* Not all components are covered. See service contract for specific details.

If it isn't listed in that gold list, it isn't a covered part.

#8 ·
Looking for the 'confused' and 'concerned' emojis...! Just purchased our extended warranty yesterday...
There's links (https://bit.ly/2F63LA7 and https://bit.ly/2XEH5P0) at the very bottom of the warranty page that gets you a copy of the contract and the actual terms and conditions - OP, did you read through this? Am I missing something?

Unless I misread it, platinum covers everything - except for the 23 items/conditions listed (eg: if the part failed because the vehicle was in an accident).
There's one item in particular - sorry, it's in ALL CAPS and I'm too lazy right now to convert it - that addresses items specifically excluded and I have no clue why they'd say no to the tailgate motor!
15. UNDER PLATINUM COVERAGE, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BRAKE LININGS, BRAKE DRUMS AND ROTORS, DISC BRAKE PADS, STANDARD MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH FRICTION DISC, PRESSURE PLATE, PILOT BEARING, THROW-OUT BEARING AND ARM, AIR BAGS, SOLAR POWERED DEVICES, GLASS, LENSES, SEALED BEAMS, BODY PARTS AND/OR PANELS, WEATHER STRIPPING, TRIM, MOLDINGS, LOCK CYLINDERS, TIRES, WHEELS, ALL BATTERIES EXCEPT HYBRID/EV/HYDROGEN HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERIES AS LISTED UNDER GOLD, LIGHT BULBS, UPHOLSTERY, PAINT, BRIGHT METAL, FREEZE PLUGS, FILTERS, HEATER AND RADIATOR HOSES, EXHAUST SYSTEM, CATALYTIC CONVERTER, SHOCK ABSORBERS, WORK SUCH AS FRONT-END ALIGNMENT OR WHEEL BALANCING (EXCEPT WHEN REQUIRED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN), SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS, AUDIO/SECURITY OR OTHER SYSTEMS NOT FACTORY INSTALLED, OR VINYL AND CONVERTIBLE TOPS;​
Also, at the very end there's specific recourse depending on which state you're from... There may be something there for you...
Good luck!
M

#11 ·
Looking for the 'confused' and 'concerned' emojis...! Just purchased our extended warranty yesterday...
There's links (https://bit.ly/2F63LA7 and https://bit.ly/2XEH5P0) at the very bottom of the warranty page that gets you a copy of the contract and the actual terms and conditions - OP, did you read through this? Am I missing something?

Unless I misread it, platinum covers everything - except for the 23 items/conditions listed (eg: if the part failed because the vehicle was in an accident).
There's one item in particular - sorry, it's in ALL CAPS and I'm too lazy right now to convert it - that addresses items specifically excluded and I have no clue why they'd say no to the tailgate motor!
From what I understand he bought the gold warranty.

#14 ·
Yes I did review the terms before signing. However, look closely at the differences between gold and platinum. There aren't much. And it certainly doesn't mention this part not being covered. I had the same sense of comfort knowing my Volvo had an excellent warranty, until that is, it was actually exercised. When it comes time to service your car, you won't be the one making a call on behalf of your warranty to the company that pays. The dealership will, and they will not go to bat for you as they are not lawyers.

Good luck to you all, I hope in your case, the outcome is favorable.

#24 ·
Yes I did review the terms before signing. However, look closely at the differences between gold and platinum. There aren't much. And it certainly doesn't mention this part not being covered.
Yeah, so you did review the terms before signing. But you clearly didn't understand them. It didn't mention this part not being covered just like it didn't mention ANY parts that aren't covered. It mentions only parts that ARE covered.

Everyone always wants to blame someone else. Because you didn't read or understand the coverage you bought, now you have to come here to bash Steingold and contact VCNA and ask them to pay for a repair on your out of warranty vehicle.

#16 ·
That’s the thing. You’re not seeing the difference between an inclusionary and an exclusionary warranty, and you’re thinking of this as an “extension” of your new car warranty, which it is absolutely not.

The gold plan covers exactly what the contract says it includes. That’s why it’s called inclusionary. If the part isn’t listed in the list of things covered by your warranty plan, it is NOT covered. It doesn’t have to mention that your strut motor isn’t covered because it never says that it IS covered.

The platinum plan is exclusionary. The plan clearly states what things it will not cover. If the part isn’t on that list, then it IS covered. If they don’t say “excludes strut motors” then they’re covered.

It’s not a matter of your dealership going to bat for you. You misunderstood the terms of the contracts and thought you could save a ton by going with gold and getting the same coverage. It is not the same coverage, and the dealership can’t go to bat for you because it doesn’t have a leg to stand on. Not in the list of things covered? Not covered.

#18 ·
Sure thing. Good luck.
Look, I know you don't want to believe it, but many of us have been using the Volvo plans for a long time, over multiple cars. I've made plenty of claims, and I've never had a problem with them.

The fact is, that the gold plan covers exactly what it says it covers. No more, no less.

Point to somewhere in the gold plan advertisements or coverage where it says your component is on the list of covered items. It isn't. That's really all there is to it.

Reactions: PNWWarrior and Tech
#21 ·
Obvious stated difference in coverage between gold and platinum. Perhaps the person that sold you the warranty was misleading, but lesson to be learned from this is to read contracts before signing.

Not fair to bash Steingold or Volvo for your lack of attention to detail

Reactions: RootDKJ
#22 ·
You obviously can't read or didn't bother to read. And now you are fussing like a baby.
I read their website carefully when I bought my 18 T6 at 12/2017, and I bought the platium one. So far no complaint, and they are great people.
Now just suck it up and pay for the repair.

#23 ·
Sorry to hear about the experience you are having. This is one of the reasons why I bought the Platinum extended warranty. This year is going to be the first of 6 years/60k Platinum extended warranty. IF I was going to have this EXACT issue and Volvo will not cover it under Platinum coverage, then there will be a problem and I will raise my concern and hell to go along with it. That's a big what IF scenario.

But quite frankly, the person I dealt with at Steingold, I believe it was Mike, was nothing but upfront and seem like a frank person. Hope he's still there. Will see going forward. Hope this post age well.

#25 ·
Just reading this post, and appreciate the responses from everyone to help clear up some confusion. Obviously, there are differences between the Platinum and Gold coverage, hence the savings in cost. For full protection, Platinum is always recommended, but there can be a significant savings in price when choosing Gold.

To the OP, if you’re open to upgrading to the Platinum coverage, contact us at the office number (401-723-4700) and we can process a cancellation for a pro-rated refund, and use the funds towards the Platinum coverage, or cancel entirely. Just trying to help as much as possible, as we don’t like to see posts like this, especially regarding our VIP Plans. We’re available all day today, so contact us anytime.

#27 ·
IMO, this thread served several purposes. Firstly, it illustrated the difference between the Platinum and Gold VIPs, although in all honesty, this information is already contained in the VIP documentation. Secondly, it reinforced the need for the purchaser to be a knowledgeable consumer, by thoroughly reading and understanding any contract that is signed by them, before authorizing it with their signature and forwarding payment.

While I have no love lost for any company that seeks to take advantage of a consumer, I also have concern when a company or anyone is disparaged unjustly. The OP comment ... "One thing I will say about the Steingold Volvo VIP Gold Warranty is that they play alot of games." In my personal VIP experience, when I first elected to buy the plan, I contacted Steingold and asked for a link to all of the VIP information, including the corresponding contract. Never having purchased or even considered the purchase of an extended warranty/service contract for any car I owned, and totally new to Volvo, I was wary of what it covered and didn't cover, particularly since the plans are quite costly. After thoroughly reading all of the material, I reached back to Mike at Steingold to clarify some questions I had. He answered every question and/or pointed to where the information existed in the documentation. Everything in this process was professional and straightforward.

At-the-end-of-the-day, the VIP (or any other extended service contract) is what it is ... a limited repair insurance policy that is activated after the manufacturer's bumper-to-bumper factory warranty ends. The service contract company sells their product only after conducting careful research to forecast future claims and price their policies to generate a sustainable profit margin. The buyer of this (insurance) product should be fully aware that (a) it is not identical to the factory warranty and (b) it will typically include or exclude specific potential repair items. In-short, these type of service contracts can help to mitigate, but not eliminate, risk.

#30 ·
Just took a fresh look at Steingold, seems pretty clear to me:
  • Platinum is Exclusionary Coverage: This means it covers your vehicle's assemblies unless listed under the Exclusions section of the Vehicle Service Contract
  • Gold Coverage: Gold offers the following features... (maybe change "features" to "coverages"?)
For those that have had ERAD repairs, what warranties have covered them? factory 4/50? Hybrid? Gold? Platinum?

#32 ·
Just took a fresh look at Steingold, seems pretty clear to me:
  • Platinum is Exclusionary Coverage: This means it covers your vehicle's assemblies unless listed under the Exclusions section of the Vehicle Service Contract
  • Gold Coverage: Gold offers the following features... (maybe change "features" to "coverages"?)
For those that have had ERAD repairs, what warranties have covered them? factory 4/50? Hybrid? Gold? Platinum?
ERAD transmission was covered under my platinum. As was air suspension pump, twice. (They've since extended the warranty on those). Each time I've had a loaner from my dealer, sometimes for weeks while waiting for the parts. Each time the dealer has taken care of all the claims paperwork and dealing with the VIP plan coverages.

#40 ·
I am guessing you all never made any mistakes in your lives. Thank for the abundance of repetitive bashing on the glories of the Volvo Platinum warranty over Gold and how I screwed up. Really top notch.

I will take up Steingold Volvo on their offer and see what my options are for changing to Platinum.
It's one thing to make a mistake. It's ok to be wrong about something.

Being aggressively and stubbornly wrong about something and snarky with everyone trying to help you understand your actual situation?

Nope. That kind of attitude isn't going to get you far anywhere, not just here.

#39 ·
@rahul1023, I can't speak for the rest, but the way you approach and opened this thread, and the tone you started was very combative. I can try to relate as there are deceptive language and practices out there.

IMO, this is not one of them. Again, sorry to hear the terrible experience you are having, and hope you have your car issues fix. Maybe next time, even with all the frustrations and emotions, try a different approach.

#41 ·
Actually, according to you and a few other members, its not ok to make a mistake. Based on your approach, it isn't allowed, and you need to keep repeating that a mistake was made and I was a clear imbecile for not knowing as much as you about inclusion vs. exclusion. So I would say that you also need revision in this case, but that's not needed because you don't make mistakes, right?

And the fact that you said I won't get far anywhere because of my attitude speaks volumes about your nature and how you deal with others. You must be very approachable because humility is not your strong suit.

I spoke with Steingold Volvo, and they helped me to change my plan to Platinum. As far as my current repairs, I will pay for that out of pocket most likely to the tune of $1065.

#42 ·
Actually, according to you and a few other members, its not ok to make a mistake. Based on your approach, it isn't allowed, and you need to keep repeating that a mistake was made and I was a clear imbecile for not knowing as much as you about inclusion vs. exclusion. So I would say that you also need revision in this case, but that's not needed because you don't make mistakes, right?

And the fact that you said I won't get far anywhere because of my attitude speaks volumes about your nature and how you deal with others. You must be very approachable because humility is not your strong suit.

I spoke with Steingold Volvo, and they helped me to change my plan to Platinum. As far as my current repairs, I will pay for that out of pocket most likely to the tune of $1065.
I'm still wondering what the "false pretenses" are under the VIP warranties.

I'm glad Steingold helped you even after you bashed them on the forum they graciously sponsor. Hopefully you can come to peace with this whole ordeal.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

#47 ·
😂😂 from aggressively claiming you were cheated despite people explaining how you were not, to getting defensive when you finally accepted that you were wrong. What’s missing here? How about an apology or at least a retraction. Steingold is being a lot nicer to you than I would’ve been

Reactions: maggs and Tech
#48 ·
When I bought my extended warranty from Steingold in 2016, the plan was simply and clearly named "Exclusionary Warranty." The name change to Gold and Platinum might have muddied the water a little bit.

When I went to the Steingold website just now, it was perfectly clear that the Platinum plan is exclusionary because it explicitly said so right at the top. It was less clear to me that the Gold plan was inclusionary, because it did not explicitly say so at the top of the page. So I can see why someone might have been confused and made a mistake. Personally, I think that Volvo could be a little clearer about the nature of the Gold warranty.

Reactions: rahul1023
#53 ·
It was less clear to me that the Gold plan was inclusionary, because it did not explicitly say so at the top of the page. So I can see why someone might have been confused and made a mistake. Personally, I think that Volvo could be a little clearer about the nature of the Gold warranty.
I'll restate earlier suggestion, change Gold "features" to "coverages".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.