SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
VCNA has a case open no info yet. My warranty was paid to get upgraded to Platinum because it's "covered" under that. Since it's preexisting I am paying out of pocket currently to replace both electrical-hydraulic-tailgate-pulldown-power motors.

I could argue it's a electrical component because it has a electrical connection and it's purpose is to pull down the tailgate under electrical power not Hydraulic, and none of this is excluded on the Gold warranty, but it isn't included either. So yeah. I am paying out of pocket. I'm moving on at this point before hearing about my mistake again.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yeah, so you did review the terms before signing. But you clearly didn't understand them. It didn't mention this part not being covered just like it didn't mention ANY parts that aren't covered. It mentions only parts that ARE covered.

Everyone always wants to blame someone else. Because you didn't read or understand the coverage you bought, now you have to come here to bash Steingold and contact VCNA and ask them to pay for a repair on your out of warranty vehicle.
Plus as an additional observation, I don't think he signed up for Gold with the hope that his lift gate strut braces would be covered - it would take quite a bit of foresight and prescient knowledge. The unfortunate reality is he purchased something and with hindsight has some buyer's remorse; likely wishes he'd spent the difference for Platinum which probably had a cost difference that is lower than the cost of the repair he's facing now.

I'm sure it's not a great feeling and is pretty disappointing position to be in after thinking you've got most of your big ticket items covered only to be stuck with a high cost repair that's not covered you wouldn't have considered a risk.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Isn’t that an “electrical” motor then ??
It may be electrical but do you see it in the list of included electrical components under the gold level?

*Electrical:
Front and rear wiper motor, transmission and linkage; power window motor; window regulators; power seat motor; steering column multi-function switch and individual switches for turn signal, headlamp, dimmer, wiper, washer and cruise control; clock spring/spiral cable; mirror motor switch; brake light switch; neutral safety switch; glove box light switch; courtesy light switch; cooling fan relay; air control solenoid; air regulator valve; idle air control motor; electronic ignition module; ignition coil; engine distributor including shaft, gear, bushings and modules; electronic throttle control, gas pedal position sensor/assembly; throttle position sensor; vehicle speed sensor; manifold absolute pressure sensor; knock sensor and barometric pressure sensor; alternator; alternator mounting bracket, voltage regulator; starter motor, solenoid and drive.
Quite simply, if it’s not on the list of included components, it’s not included. It doesn’t just say “electrical motors” it’s very specific about what is and isn’t on the list.

You can’t just say “it says it includes electrical stuff and it’s electrical”. You actually have to read what it includes.

I could argue it's a electrical component because it has a electrical connection and it's purpose is to pull down the tailgate under electrical power not Hydraulic, and none of this is excluded on the Gold warranty, but it isn't included either.
Yes, it is excluded. Because it’s not included. Nowhere on the list of included electrical components does it say power tailgate struts. There’s not way to say “oh it’s electrical so it should be included”. Gold doesn’t “exclude” items by name, it includes them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ultrarunner511

·
Registered
2016 V60 Cross Country, 2020 V60 Cross Country (Polestar optimized)
66 Posts
In this case the motor is integrated into the strut. It's all 1 assembly. There isn't a separate motor that opens and closes the tailgate.
I do hope you get a good resolution of the problem soon.
This is one of those features that I hate to love as much as I do. You know there are going to be gremlins in the mechanisms.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
In this case the motor is integrated into the strut. It's all 1 assembly. There isn't a separate motor that opens and closes the tailgate.
I'm referring to the hatch locking mechanism, it has an integrated motor. Separate from the hydraulic struts.

Gold warranty also covers a "sliding door motor", like on a minivan. Definitely applicable. 😛

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm referring to the hatch locking mechanism, it has an integrated motor. Separate from the hydraulic struts.

Gold warranty also covers a "sliding door motor", like on a minivan. Definitely applicable.
Where do you see “sliding door motor” in the warranty terms and conditions? Note that Volvo does not make any minivans, nor any passenger vehicles with sliding doors.

Here are the full terms and conditions for the Volvo VIP plans https://p.widencdn.net/op3hcq/S2141

Note that there isn’t any wiggle room. The terms say that power train and gold cover the following components, and then lists out exactly what components are covered.

Platinum states: Includes the POWERTRAIN and GOLD Coverage Plans plus ANY OTHER MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN except for those items listed in the section EXCLUSIONS FROM COVERAGE and subject to the LIMITS OF LIABILITY section. All other terms and conditions of this Service Contract remain unchanged.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Reactions: Ultrarunner511

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Where do you see “sliding door motor” in the warranty terms and conditions? Note that Volvo does not make any minivans, nor any passenger vehicles with sliding doors.

Note that there isn’t any wiggle room. The terms say that power train and gold cover the following components, and then lists out exactly what components are covered.
Ha, are you questioning if I understand the terms? I'm just trying to inject some humor in this sour thread.

I have the Gold+ plan, so my "power sliding door motor" is fully covered! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ha, are you questioning if I understand the terms? I'm just trying to inject some humor in this sour thread.

I have the Gold+ plan, so my "power sliding door motor" is fully covered! :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 122698

Lovely. Gold Plus doesn’t appear to be offered anymore. It looks like a pretty attractive option though, as it does significantly increase the covered items.

However we were talking about coverage for a tailgate motor on a gold plan. Not gold plus. To suggest that the person with a different plan from you should fight it on the grounds that it should be covered under YOUR plan isn’t injecting humor.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
However we were talking about coverage for a tailgate motor on a gold plan. Not gold plus. To suggest that the person with a different plan from you should fight it on the grounds that it should be covered under YOUR plan isn’t injecting humor.
Go for a nice walk. Wear a mask (or three), if that's your thing. I assume you haven't socialized much lately, so I'll let your misplaced outrage slide.

Gold covers the hatch lock/motor, but not the hydraulic struts.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Go for a nice walk. Wear a mask (or three), if that's your thing. I assume you haven't socialized much lately, so I'll let your misplaced outrage slide.
Sorry. Got you mixed up with they guy saying he should fight the warranty with VCNA because it should be covered. My bad. Too many people to keep track of. It’s not outrage, it’s frustration.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Can we say beating a dead horse? The guy made a mistake. He handled things improperly. He apologized. It's time we move on and stop flogging him. He has now upgraded to the Platinum Plan and will be covered in perpetuity. Of course, the other repair is preexisting in nature and will obviously be excluded.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts