SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my Volvo VIP Gold warranty on 12/31/2020 as my factory warranty on my 2017 Volvo XC90 t6 Momentum Plus was expiring. I paid $2600 for a 7 year warranty and I'm covered till 101,000 miles. Or so I thought.

First off, debating VIP Gold vs. Platinum warranty. There is absolutely nothing in the documentation provided that shows any marked coverage exclusions or inclusions on the platinum over the Gold. All I kept hearing was, platinum covers what Gold doesn't. But nothing to show exactly what.

One thing I will say about the Volvo VIP Gold Warranty is that they play alot of games. It's a rip off if you ask me, but if you plan to keep your car past the factory warranty you don't have any other extended warranty option that won't do the same.

Roll your dice with any extended warranty, but this so called Volvo VIP warranty is all about what they say is included, what's not mentioned, and what is specifically excluded.

When the Volvo dealership calls their number, they argue something is NOT included therefore its excluded. However, the document goes to spell out specifically what IS excluded but there are many things that fall into the category of "what's not mentioned". So if one of those expensive parts fails, they will just say we didn't say that was included.

I paid $2600 for a "Volvo" extended warranty for a Volvo dealership (not steingold Volvo) to argue with another party and say your Volvo extended warranty does not cover what a factory warranty does. You end up feeling like the sucker for falling for this trap. I know I do.

·
Registered
250 Posts
What is the part which was not covered in your case ?

Did you try a good will repair from Volvo? Good chance they might do a good will repair for you if you kept it in good shape and regular servicing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
$1000 (2) tailgate pulldown power motor. It's part of the rear tension spring assembly. Failed at 35,000miles.

I am in communication with VCNA, they need to understand that something that carries the Volvo name is brand recognized as being part of their organization. If a factory Volvo warranty is better than a Volvo VIP warranty, it needs to be clearly disclosed. I am praying at this point they will good will fix it, but I would hate for one of you to take on an extended warranty under false pretenses.

·
Registered
2021 XC90 T8 Recharge Inscription Polestar
72 Posts
Sorry to hear the trouble. I hope they pay for it.

I got Platinum warranty for my 21 XC90 T8 from my Volvo dealer. My hope is that I don't ever have to use it, the longest I ever kept same vehicle is 3 years.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I bought my Steingold Volvo VIP Gold warranty on 12/31/2020 as my factory warranty on my 2017 Volvo XC90 t6 Momentum Plus was expiring. I paid $2600 for a 7 year warranty and I'm covered till 101,000 miles. Or so I thought.

First off, debating VIP Gold vs. Platinum warranty. There is absolutely nothing in the documentation provided that shows any marked coverage exclusions or inclusions on the platinum over the Gold. All I kept hearing was, platinum covers what Gold doesn't. But nothing to show exactly what.

B]*The Platinum coverage would have covered this by the definition of the platinum warranty. If it doesn't list it specifically as not covered, it is covered. I looked through the details of the platinum warranty...and this part is covered. Because it doesn't mention it.[/B

One thing I will say about the Steingold Volvo VIP Gold Warranty is that they play alot of games. It's a rip off if you ask me, but if you plan to keep your car past the factory warranty you don't have any other extended warranty option that won't do the same.

Roll your dice with any extended warranty, but this so called Volvo VIP warranty is all about what they say is included, what's not mentioned, and what is specifically excluded.

*Again, that is why platinum is a better route. It says what isn't covered. Everything else is covered.

When the Volvo dealership calls their number, they argue something is NOT included therefore its excluded. However, the document goes to spell out specifically what IS excluded but there are many things that fall into the category of "what's not mentioned". So if one of those expensive parts fails, they will just say we didn't say that was included.

I paid $2600 for a "Volvo" extended warranty for a Volvo dealership (not steingold Volvo) to argue with another party and say your Volvo extended warranty does not cover what a factory warranty does. You end up feeling like the sucker for falling for this trap. I know I do.
I think you're the first very unlucky people to see the difference between both warranties. I hope you get a resolution from corporate.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
This is the difference between a inclusionary warranty and an exclusionary.

The gold plans are inclusionary. If it doesn’t say it’s covered, it isn’t covered.

The platinum is exclusionary. If it isn’t excluded, it’s covered.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was told different when I bought my warranty 3 months ago. Until you have to actually use the warranty, I don't think anyone including myself should speculate about non wear and tear parts being covered. I was led to believe that the Gold warranty covers as much as platinum because it has inclusions and exclusions. The platinum warranty is the same, just a few more inclusions.

Does the verbage on the contract list every component in every trim? I don't think so.

It however does not specifically call out any parts so you won't know if something obscure is covered because it doesn't say it does. These warranties and their prices are being sold at super competitive rates by dealers on this forum and local to where you live. However they are not as ironclad as they appear. Beware.

·
Registered
2021 XC90 T8 and 2012 C70 (which replaced OSD '00 and OSD '12 C70s!)
22 Posts
Looking for the 'confused' and 'concerned' emojis...! Just purchased our extended warranty yesterday...
There's links (https://bit.ly/2F63LA7 and https://bit.ly/2XEH5P0) at the very bottom of the warranty page that gets you a copy of the contract and the actual terms and conditions - OP, did you read through this? Am I missing something?

Unless I misread it, platinum covers everything - except for the 23 items/conditions listed (eg: if the part failed because the vehicle was in an accident).
There's one item in particular - sorry, it's in ALL CAPS and I'm too lazy right now to convert it - that addresses items specifically excluded and I have no clue why they'd say no to the tailgate motor!
15. UNDER PLATINUM COVERAGE, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BRAKE LININGS, BRAKE DRUMS AND ROTORS, DISC BRAKE PADS, STANDARD MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH FRICTION DISC, PRESSURE PLATE, PILOT BEARING, THROW-OUT BEARING AND ARM, AIR BAGS, SOLAR POWERED DEVICES, GLASS, LENSES, SEALED BEAMS, BODY PARTS AND/OR PANELS, WEATHER STRIPPING, TRIM, MOLDINGS, LOCK CYLINDERS, TIRES, WHEELS, ALL BATTERIES EXCEPT HYBRID/EV/HYDROGEN HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERIES AS LISTED UNDER GOLD, LIGHT BULBS, UPHOLSTERY, PAINT, BRIGHT METAL, FREEZE PLUGS, FILTERS, HEATER AND RADIATOR HOSES, EXHAUST SYSTEM, CATALYTIC CONVERTER, SHOCK ABSORBERS, WORK SUCH AS FRONT-END ALIGNMENT OR WHEEL BALANCING (EXCEPT WHEN REQUIRED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN), SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS, AUDIO/SECURITY OR OTHER SYSTEMS NOT FACTORY INSTALLED, OR VINYL AND CONVERTIBLE TOPS;​
Also, at the very end there's specific recourse depending on which state you're from... There may be something there for you...
Good luck!
M

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I was told different when I bought my warranty 3 months ago.
From the brochure I pulled up (valid when I bought mine a few years back, ymmv)

PLATINUM IS EXCLUSIONARY COVERAGE:
This means it covers your vehicle’s assemblies unless listed under the Exclusions section of the Vehicle Service Contract.
PLATINUM EXCLUSIONS:
Brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard manual transmission clutch friction disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw-out bearing and arm, air bags, solar powered devices, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts and/or panels, weather stripping, trim, moldings, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, all batteries except Hybrid/EV/Hydrogen High Voltage batteries as listed under Gold Coverage, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, filters, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, catalytic converter, shock absorbers, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing (except when required in conjunction with a mechanical breakdown), safety restraint systems, audio/security or other systems not factory installed, or vinyl and convertible tops.
* See service contract for additional details”

Whereas:

Gold offers the following features. Certain restrictions, limitations and/or exclusions may apply.*
• ENGINE
• COOLING
• TRANSMISSION
• DRIVE AXLE
• STEERING
• BRAKES
• AIR CONDITIONING
• FRONT/REAR SUSPENSION
• ELECTRICAL
• ADDITIONAL HYBRID/PLUG-IN
ELECTRIC/COMPRESSED NATURAL GAS/HYDROGEN COMPONENTS
* Not all components are covered. See service contract for specific details.

If it isn’t listed in that gold list, it isn’t a covered part.

·
Registered
2021 XC90 T8 and 2012 C70 (which replaced OSD '00 and OSD '12 C70s!)
22 Posts
PS... As far as I can tell, Steingold only sells the same warranty that other dealers have. I was given the same paperwork by the dealer we bought the car from.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Looking for the 'confused' and 'concerned' emojis...! Just purchased our extended warranty yesterday...
There's links (https://bit.ly/2F63LA7 and https://bit.ly/2XEH5P0) at the very bottom of the warranty page that gets you a copy of the contract and the actual terms and conditions - OP, did you read through this? Am I missing something?

Unless I misread it, platinum covers everything - except for the 23 items/conditions listed (eg: if the part failed because the vehicle was in an accident).
There's one item in particular - sorry, it's in ALL CAPS and I'm too lazy right now to convert it - that addresses items specifically excluded and I have no clue why they'd say no to the tailgate motor!
From what I understand he bought the gold warranty.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
428 Posts
I was told different when I bought my warranty 3 months ago.
I bought a VIP for my 2020 V90. However, before buying, I got the documentation to review, which clearly defined the plans. Were you given or did you ask for and have a chance to read the terms, beforehand?

With respect, IMO, what you were told matters not. If you signed the agreement, it's ultimately your responsibility to understand the terms, in writing. Sorry for the problem you are having.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I was told different when I bought my warranty 3 months ago. Until you have to actually use the warranty, I don't think anyone including myself should speculate about non wear and tear parts being covered. I was led to believe that the Gold warranty covers as much as platinum because it has inclusions and exclusions. The platinum warranty is the same, just a few more inclusions.

Does the verbage on the contract list every component in every trim? I don't think so.

It however does not specifically call out any parts so you won't know if something obscure is covered because it doesn't say it does. These warranties and their prices are being sold at super competitive rates by dealers on this forum and local to where you live. However they are not as ironclad as they appear. Beware.
Nevertheless, the gold warranty specifically states what it covers:

VIP GOLD COVERAGE:
Gold offers the following features. Certain restrictions, limitations and/or exclusions may apply.*

*Engine:
All internally lubricated parts contained within the engine, plus the following: intake manifold; exhaust manifolds; balance shaft; water pump; fuel pump, diesel injection pump, diesel oil controlled fuel injectors; thermostat; oil pump; rotor housing, rotors, shims and silent shaft; all internal fasteners, nuts and bolts; turbocharger/supercharger assembly including boost valve, boost pressure control, wastegate, recirculation and blow off valve; seals and gaskets. Oil pan; valve, timing and side covers; thermostat housing; water pump pulley; engine mounts; harmonic balancer; flex plate/flywheel and ring gear.

*Cooling:
Radiator, mounting brackets and coolant recovery tank; fan clutch, fan blades and motor; fan shroud; heater core; transmission oil cooler; engine oil cooler.

*Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case:
All internally lubricated parts contained within the transmission, transaxle and transfer case, plus the following: all internal fasteners, nuts and bolts; shift cover and forks; bell housing, components within the bell housing; torque converter; external valve bodies, control units and solenoids; seals and gaskets.
Oil pan; detent cable; kickdown link; throttle cable; vacuum modulator; transmission mounts.

*Drive Axle:
All internally lubricated parts contained within the differential/axle housing(s), plus the following: cover; 4x4 locking hubs and electric or vacuum actuator; seals and gaskets. Constant velocity joints and boots; slip joint; front wheel drive axles/half-shafts and wheel bearings; u-joints; couplings; flex disc; prop shafts; center support bearings.

*Steering:
Tie rods, idler and pitman arms, center/drag link, coupling and shafts; cooler lines; steering gear housing and internal parts; rack and pinion housing and internal parts; power steering pump and internal parts including reservoir; electric steering motor; power steering pump or electric steering motor mounting brackets; seals and gaskets.

*Brakes:
Compensator/proportioning valve; metering valve; calipers; wheel cylinders; backing plate; brake adjusters and brake hardware; brake
pedal, pedal lever and pedal pivot; parking brake linkage/ratchet assembly and cable; anti-lock braking system component parts including
control processor/module, pump, dump valve, wheel speed sensors, solenoids, accumulator, yaw rate sensor, and pressure differential switch;
master cylinder; vacuum or hydraulic brake booster assembly; hydraulic lines, hoses and fittings; brake pedal apply pin; seals and gaskets.

*Air Conditioning:
Accumulator; receiver drier; automatic temperature control programmer; clutch assembly including coil, disc and pulley; control cables; cutoff switch; serpentine belt tensioner, bearing and pulley; condensor; compressor; evaporator; orifice/expansion valve; seals and gaskets.

*Front/Rear Suspension:
Upper and lower control arms, shafts and bushings; upper and lower ball joints; struts; wheel bearings/hubs; spindle/steering knuckle and spindle support; coil and leaf springs, seats and bushings, leaf spring shackles; track bars, links and bushings; electronic level control components including pump, accumulator, lines, bags; stabilizer bar, links and bushings; kingpin; torsion bar, mounts and bushings; tension rods/radius arm.

*Electrical:
Front and rear wiper motor, transmission and linkage; power window motor; window regulators; power seat motor; steering column multi-function switch and individual switches for turn signal, headlamp, dimmer, wiper, washer and cruise control; clock spring/spiral cable; mirror motor switch; brake light switch; neutral safety switch; glove box light switch; courtesy light switch; cooling fan relay; air control solenoid; air regulator valve; idle air control motor; electronic ignition module; ignition coil; engine distributor including shaft, gear, bushings and modules; electronic throttle control, gas pedal position sensor/assembly; throttle position sensor; vehicle speed sensor; manifold absolute pressure sensor; knock sensor and barometric pressure sensor; alternator; alternator mounting bracket, voltage regulator; starter motor, solenoid and drive.

*Additional Hybrid/Plug-In Electric/Compressed Natural Gas/Hydrogen Components:
Electric motor/generator(s) all internal components; inverter/converter/transformer units including all internal components and cover; continuously variable transmission and all internal components; power split device and all internal components; reduction/reducer box and all internal components; seals and gaskets. Motor/generator belt tensioner; drive motor dampener; voltage inverter reservoir; three-phase high voltage cables; hydraulic or electric regenerative braking system; hybrid/EV/hydrogen battery (nickel-metal hydrate or lithium-ion drive propulsion battery) including the case and mounting hardware, junction block, main battery cable, and frame wire; onboard battery charging system including charge controller, plug in outlets, plug in cable, and trickle charger cable; electric AC compressor and motor; electric steering rack, gear, and motor; electro/hydraulic power steering pump and reservoir; hydrogen fuel cell stack; battery cooling pump; seals and gaskets.

*Not all components are covered. See service contract below for additional details.
A tailgate strut motor doesn’t fall under any of these categories by any stretch of the imagination.

The gold warranty is a cheaper one that is apparently aimed at keeping your vehicle running and on the road, covering parts essential to operation and safety. The platinum covers more things, thus the added expense.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I did review the terms before signing. However, look closely at the differences between gold and platinum. There aren't much. And it certainly doesn't mention this part not being covered. I had the same sense of comfort knowing my Volvo had an excellent warranty, until that is, it was actually exercised. When it comes time to service your car, you won't be the one making a call on behalf of your warranty to the company that pays. The dealership will, and they will not go to bat for you as they are not lawyers.

Good luck to you all, I hope in your case, the outcome is favorable.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
That’s the thing. You’re not seeing the difference between an inclusionary and an exclusionary warranty, and you’re thinking of this as an “extension” of your new car warranty, which it is absolutely not.

The gold plan covers exactly what the contract says it includes. That’s why it’s called inclusionary. If the part isn’t listed in the list of things covered by your warranty plan, it is NOT covered. It doesn’t have to mention that your strut motor isn’t covered because it never says that it IS covered.

The platinum plan is exclusionary. The plan clearly states what things it will not cover. If the part isn’t on that list, then it IS covered. If they don’t say “excludes strut motors” then they’re covered.

It’s not a matter of your dealership going to bat for you. You misunderstood the terms of the contracts and thought you could save a ton by going with gold and getting the same coverage. It is not the same coverage, and the dealership can’t go to bat for you because it doesn’t have a leg to stand on. Not in the list of things covered? Not covered.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Sure thing. Good luck.
Look, I know you don’t want to believe it, but many of us have been using the Volvo plans for a long time, over multiple cars. I’ve made plenty of claims, and I’ve never had a problem with them.

The fact is, that the gold plan covers exactly what it says it covers. No more, no less.

Point to somewhere in the gold plan advertisements or coverage where it says your component is on the list of covered items. It isn’t. That’s really all there is to it.

Reactions: PNWWarrior and Tech

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
FWIW, I purchased the Gold warranty (10yr, 100k miles) with zero reservations.

It covers the expensive items that I care about (air suspension, ICE/electric drivetrain, HVAC, steering rack, etc) for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
This is the difference between a inclusionary warranty and an exclusionary.

The gold plans are inclusionary. If it doesn’t say it’s covered, it isn’t covered.

The platinum is exclusionary. If it isn’t excluded, it’s covered.
Thanks for explaining all this and digging out the platinum vs gold details. I definitely understand the difference now!

Gold (INCLUSIONARY):
Only the listed items are INcluded in coverage.

Platinum (EXCLUSIONARY):
Only the listed items are EXcluded from coverage.

Reactions: seawolf
1 - 20 of 97 Posts