SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My brother just bought a Volvo V60 (2015) with a strange issue, the Sensus screen shuts down when the sensor on the dashboard is in bright light, e.g. sunlight. I'll attach a video:

I know from my S80 (2014) that when I switch from a dark environment like a tunnel to a bright one the screen gets a lot brighter. It seems like the V60 is just working in a low light, less current I'm guessing, situation.

There's also some other issues that might be software related like slow boot up and occasional freezes, but the main concern is that there's also a sound associated like an old dying HDD sound.

Anyone with a guess? Could this be software or hardware related?

As you can see in the video when the sensor is covered the screen comes back to life and when the rag is taken off it dies again.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Here's a picture of both cars:

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Hi everyone,

My brother just bought a Volvo V60 (2015) with a strange issue, the Sensus screen shuts down when the sensor on the dashboard is in bright light, e.g. sunlight. I'll attach a video:

I know from my S80 (2014) that when I switch from a dark environment like a tunnel to a bright one the screen gets a lot brighter. It seems like the V60 is just working in a low light, less current I'm guessing, situation.

There's also some other issues that might be software related like slow boot up and occasional freezes, but the main concern is that there's also a sound associated like an old dying HDD sound.

Anyone with a guess? Could this be software or hardware related?

As you can see in the video when the sensor is covered the screen comes back to life and when the rag is taken off it dies again.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Here's a picture of both cars:
Is the vehicle outside of its warranty? Not sure what you get over there warranty wise, but here in the states its 4 yrs / 50,000 miles (80,000 KM) whichever comes first.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the vehicle outside of its warranty? Not sure what you get over there warranty wise, but here in the states its 4 yrs / 50,000 miles (80,000 KM) whichever comes first.
Unfortunately it's out of warranty and the car did have a discount because the screen was intermittently working. It's currently sitting at 180.000 km's (~112.000 miles). My S80 still has extended Selekt Volvo warranty at 5 years and 130.000 km's (81.000 miles).

The problem happens when the car switches to "daytime mode" and the screens brighten up, so I suspect either an internal fault in the LCD/TFT display and when it gets more current it just shuts down as a security measure or when the car switches to daytime mode the screen expects more current to be drawn and it's not getting it so it shuts down.

Does anybody know if the screen from the 2014 S80 would fit the 2015 V60 to switch it over an test if it's the display that is the problem?

·
Registered
2017 S60 Polestar
106 Posts
You should get in touch with Bogdan G (BG Motors, Bucharest), he can either help you sort it this out or at least guide you to someone who can.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should get in touch with Bogdan G (BG Motors, Bucharest), he can either help you sort it this out or at least guide you to someone who can.
Hi m337jkb,

I know Bogdan, I've been to him on a couple of occasions I just didn't want to bother him with this as he has a lot on his plate always. But I will reach out to him if all else fails.

Thanks.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Sounds like a short in Dimmer wire or loose wire. did you try to remove the radio and than plug it back in?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a short in Dimmer wire or loose wire. did you try to remove the radio and than plug it back in?
Haven't gotten around to pulling out the screen yet as we were waiting on a set of plastic pry tools that we ordered, you need to remove quite a bit of trim on the V60 to get to the screen compared to the S80. Tomorrow we should be able to check, would there be a separate wire for dimming? I kind of find it hard to believe that it wouldn't be just a digital signal passed along with other information.

I had a project with my S60 (2003) and the RTI of that era and even that had bytes of data that would control the brightness of the screen but I would send those along with any other data that that bus (pin on the connector) would accept like raising/lowering the screen, switching between NTSC and PAL on the same pin. I don't see how there could be a short anywhere in that context as it's not an "analog" dimmer, a controller receives a hexadecimal value and then sets the voltage output accordingly for the screen's backlight but that's all integrated on the screen's motherboard.

A loose wire again seems odd, I'm thinking it's more likely oxidation on the connector that could be causing an issue with not being able to deliver enough current as the contact point/patch between the screen's pins and the connector might be small due to oxidation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As a small update, we removed the front plate of the center console with all the buttons and knobs but couldn't get to the screen as it was getting late and we couldn't figure out how to get the back part of the center console off and it's in the way of the top air vent and the surrounding of the navigation screen so you need to remove the back part before the plastic surrounding and then you can get to the screen.

What we did remove is the CD/DVD/HDD head unit, we didn't find anything interesting, unplugged and re-plugged everything, made no difference.

The system is really slow to boot at times and really fast on other times so there are several issues, one is most probably software related and one hardware. When it's slow to boot the Volvo logo appears on the screen and after a few seconds it flickers and reboots, you can also hear the HDD as it restarts sometimes it takes minutes to restart.

The issue with the screen turning of in "daytime mode" is temporarily solved with a piece of black tape on the light sensor. :whistle:

I took only this on image:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts