SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many others here, I've been looking for ways to upgrade the factory "HP" system in my MY20 XC90. I've done a lot of research to date (via xc90 DIY audio upgrade and other forum posts) and always noticed the HP and B&W amps had two speaker wiring harnesses. See below:

I just went outside to have a look in my 2020, and it appears Volvo has updated the design to only utilize one wire harness:

Can anyone with a B&W or HK system (2020+) confirm if they too only utilize a single harness now?

·
Premium Member
2021 XC90 Inscription T6 AWD
151 Posts
Max
Here are two photos of my B&W in a 2021
Apologies for the darkness the flash would not come on due to the interior light.
There is no other loose connector or any other wiring in the area.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
There are no other connections loose or inside the harness, with a total of 4 connections into the amp.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Like many others here, I've been looking for ways to upgrade the factory "HP" system in my MY20 XC90. I've done a lot of research to date (via xc90 DIY audio upgrade and other forum posts) and always noticed the HP and B&W amps had two speaker wiring harnesses. See below:
View attachment 119058
I just went outside to have a look in my 2020, and it appears Volvo has updated the design to only utilize one wire harness:

View attachment 119059

Can anyone with a B&W or HK system (2020+) confirm if they too only utilize a single harness now?
Your bottom picture has a fiber optic connection - the 2 orange "wires" on the left. Those are what is carrying the input signals for all the channels. Then two large power wires, and only thing left is the speaker output wires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your bottom picture has a fiber optic connection - the 2 orange "wires" on the left. Those are what is carrying the input signals for all the channels. Then two large power wires, and only thing left is the speaker output wires.
I’m pretty sure those far left wires are the battery and ground wires, not fiber optics. Also, there’s only one fiber optic cable, not two.

Edit: You might’ve been referring to the previous photos of the base amplifier. If so, there should still only be one fiber optic input if the base audio even utilized that tech.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I’m pretty sure those far left wires are the battery and ground wires, not fiber optics. Also, there’s only one fiber optic cable, not two.
The cable on the right of my amp in my photo I would have assumed was the FO due to it is wrapped / semi-protected to the plug and I did not see a lug at the end.
I have never seen FO lugged like the photo of the plug on the far left, but I am green and learning about volvo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The cable on the right of my amp in my photo I would have assumed was the FO due to it is wrapped / semi-protected to the plug and I did not see a lug at the end.
I have never seen FO lugged like the photo of the plug on the far left, but I am green and learning about volvo.
The far right cord is the fiber optic input

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the responses. This confirms my suspicions that the B&W (and likely HK as they tend to be the same) amps are no longer plug and play replacements for the HP amp (MY20+), and will require their specific speaker wiring harnesses to be able to connect. Not terribly difficult to connect, but an extra step versus adding pins to already existing connectors.

For anyone who is curious, I disconnected my harness and looked at the wiring. There's 6 pairs of wires, which I'm 99% sure are split as:
1) Front speaker woofer
2) Front speaker mid & high
3) Rear speaker woofer and mid

I stole this wiring diagram from a V90 (MY19) but it seems to match up. High Performance (Base) systems only:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts