SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is <A HREF="http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000098582.cfm" TARGET="_blank">this</A> true?<BR><BR>
[Modified by crikey, 12:23 PM 10-4-2002]

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Re: Volvo to phase out Cross Country wagons? (crikey)

Wow, that is very surprising news indeed! I thougth that Volvo wanted an entire range of 'XC' (XC50, XC70, XC90) vehicles? What's going on?<p>This is what it says below:<p><b>Sources tell us that the Volvo Cross Country wagon is not long for this world...</b><p><BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The pricing is too similar to the XC90 so Volvo will phase out the Cross Country, sometime in 2003, when inventory is exhausted...Look for a special program to move the remaining iron...<p>We also think the XC90 will 'Bastardize' sales of the existing lineup of Volvo wagons...when customers do the comparisons and their homework, many will vote for the XC90, instead of a current Volvo wagon.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <br>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Volvo to phase out Cross Country wagons? ([email protected])

Maybe the Cross Country was just an interim step. How close to capacity is the factory that produces it running? If things are tight, killing it might be easy to justify. If a lot of excess capacity exists there, they could keep it in the line-up to help keep the plant busy. Pricing, though, would still be an issue.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: Volvo to phase out Cross Country wagons? (Chipshot)

You know I suppose that *could* happen if XC90 sales just completely killed XC90 sales, but I somehow DOUBT that very much. Look in any month of News in our News section and compare XC90 sales on the table at the bottom of the article with sales of other models. In the US, it's the second best selling model behind the S60 and that's not even counting V70 sales. Plus, if there's a Volvo V70AWD in the US, it literally costs Volvo practically nothing to federalize the thing. Why it would be phased out is well beyond me.<p>Maybe they heard a rumor that the V70XC is going away (because the XC70 is coming in) and didn't put two and two together to figure it's the same car, but with Haldex.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Re: Volvo to phase out Cross Country wagons? (crikey)

Crikey,<p>"it ain't gonna happen"...These guys [Autospies] are not too bad but I think that they are "a little bit" too overzealous in their quest to get established. They claim that they have the "ultimate sources" but they are spreading themselves a bit too thin, you know?<p>Here is another comment from them:<p> <B> <I>The pricing is too similar to the XC90 so Volvo will phase out the Cross Country, sometime in 2003, when inventory is exhausted...Look for a special program to move the remaining iron...<p>We also think the XC90 will 'Bastardize' sales of the existing lineup of Volvo wagons...when customers do the comparisons and their homework, many will vote for the XC90, instead of a current Volvo wagon. <br></I> </B> <p>XC90 sales will..."bastardize" XC70 sales? No $H!T SHERLOCK! Everyone else and their Swedish grandmother knows this! Although "bastardizing" is not the right word. Cannibalization is more appropriate. So? Volvo knew that well in advance.<p>And..."many will vote for the XC90"??? I doubt that as there are many people who do not like SUVs (that is one of the KEYS to the XC's success so far; in an SUV-dominated world, it is the best selling wagon!!!). And now that its price has been lowered by, about, $2500 it is even more appealing. Sure, you can get for that much a well-equipped XC90 2.5T FWD but that demographic group WANTS All-Wheel Drive. <p>Anyway, don't worry about the XC70, at least for the next 2-3 years. Its rein is over, for sure, but it is a long way from becoming extinct.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Volvo to phase out Cross Country wagons? (GrecianVolvo)

Hey Yannis,<p>I also found it hard to believe, which is why I asked those who would know better. I also didn't care for their term 'bastardizing'. I agree that 'cannibalize' is more accurate.<BR><BR>
[Modified by crikey, 3:48 PM 10-4-2002]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts