SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120712/OEM11/120719921/1193

By using a camera and radar, future Volvos will be able to follow the car in front while driving in slow traffic using an autonomous-driving function. The engine, brakes and steering wheel will react automatically to the car ahead of the Volvo. If the vehicle in front swerves, the Volvo will "veer in the same direction."
Uh oh. So 10 years from now when they offer this, while on the highway, if some bmw driver notices that behind them a volvo driver is sipping their coffee or reading the paper, they can now just pick a safe time for themselves, and just swerve to send the volvo off in some other random direction ?

LOL, that pic of the interior. I still don't understand why Volvo mounts their key slot so high. And with something hanging down in front of the air vent. Does anybody at Volvo really use their own product?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm sure they'll have some sort of safeguard to prevent that. If they don't then that's going to pose a serious problem, haha.

I don't keep anything on my key so nothing would hang down but I also never put my key in the little slot so I've never been bothered by the placement.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure they'll have some sort of safeguard to prevent that. If they don't then that's going to pose a serious problem, haha.
I'm sure they'll try, but that could be hard to do. Cars swerve for lots of reasons. Some are valid, some are people that emergency brake and quickly move over just for looking ahead to see what's up, and others, well, they are just BAD drivers. Do I really want my volvo swerving automatically because the guy in front of me sucks at driving?

I don't keep anything on my key so nothing would hang down but I also never put my key in the little slot so I've never been bothered by the placement.
For you, good. But lots of other people don't pay the premium for PCC. And the amount of pics I see with keys in the slot and things hanging off the key are PLENTY. While it doesn't bother you, it has bothered others, and I just don't understand why Volvo insists on putting it there.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
For you, good. But lots of other people don't pay the premium for PCC. And the amount of pics I see with keys in the slot and things hanging off the key are PLENTY. While it doesn't bother you, it has bothered others, and I just don't understand why Volvo insists on putting it there.
I get in the car, key goes into slot (partially), index finger presses START button, key comes out and goes in pocket, I drove off.

No biggy.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts