SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Volvo taxi in Sweden

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  GillesV 
#1 ·
Just wanted to post a photo of the mileage on d3 v90 2017 hope the photo posts.
Asked the driver if he had any issues with the car he replied 0 @ 166k km

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Darn it. That should have been my second question. Driver was old school from Iran and did not use the cruise control at all. Car did feel very tight still as that is what I’m looking for while being driven.

#4 ·
Volvo and Mercedes are the two most common taxi's in Sweden, but I have even seen a Tesla Model S painted as a taxi on the streets of Stockholm.

What most people seem to forget is that Volvo was always the Ford/Chevy of Sweden. It's almost crazy to those of us who ggrew up over there that Volvo is now sold as some sort of luxutry brand.

I grew up in all sorts of Volvo's in the 80's and 90's. None of them had leather seats or even power windows or air conditioning.

These were every mans cars, cheap to maintain and reliable.

#9 ·
What most people seem to forget is that Volvo was always the Ford/Chevy of Sweden. It's almost crazy to those of us who grew up over there that Volvo is now sold as some sort of luxury brand.

These were every mans cars, cheap to maintain and reliable.
Interesting parallel to Gevalia coffee, which is a supermarket quality brand in Sweden. Gevalia tried to launch itself as a premium import coffee in the US, mostly by mail order, but it did not go well. They have since slashed their offerings and are selling just their basic blends at sharply reduced prices... in supermarkets. Back to their roots. There should be an object lesson there for VCUSA.

#5 · (Edited)
Have been up to Arvidsjaur for the last two winters, for some winter drivers training, the Taxi we had from the airport to the Hotel or Lake was allways a V90 or V90CC, all of them felt very solid and quite, even on the frozen country roads and on spiked tires.
The car with the highest mileage was a V90CC D4 AWD, two years old last February and 172’000km! I asked the driver how this is possible, ha answered their average drive is about 80km..., long distances far up in the north.

#7 ·
So I guess this should be the answer to people that ask the question on the forum. Volvo's can do high mileage without major issues.

Volvo's have always been able to handle high milage, as long as you maintain them. My mechanic has afeelt of 6 or 7 loaners, all late 90's s/v70's, all with ~400k miles.

The only problem is, that as they get older, that maintenance starts getting expensive, especially with newer models.

I recently bought my S90 after I did the math and a CPO car payment was actually less than I was paying in maintenance every month on average on my 2009 S80 with 175k miles.

#8 ·
Those examples above are for diesel engines, which have proven reliability...I guess the question is how the T6 engine will hold in the long run.

#15 ·
That one is less tested.

I've seen gasoline 5 and 6 cylinder Volvo engines go very long, but I know less about the heritage of the modern 2.0, and I feel like the twin charging is less well tested by time.

#14 ·
So do you guys think the petrol engine is just way out of specs for being 320bhp to last long, giving the diesel is similar build (different technology). I know from experience the diesels always lasted forever (not including some of the vw before common rail). I guess time will tell what the T5 T6 can handle in terms of longevity.

#20 ·
Oh what we pay for a "European" badge. Like we tend to think of "Mercedes" as a car model, such as Cadillac. But Mercedes is really the equivalent of GM or Ford corporations. When I lived in France in the late 1970's and early 80's, there were a lot of C-class taxis, though with plastic seats and rubber floor mats. People pay hundreds for Miele vacuums here. But Miele there was like Hoover here. Didn't see a lot of Volvo's in France but thought of them more like Pontiacs than Oldsmobiles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.