SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post a photo of the mileage on d3 v90 2017 hope the photo posts.
Asked the driver if he had any issues with the car he replied 0 @ 166k km

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wonder how many brake jobs he has gone through for that mileage....but cool nonetheless

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darn it. That should have been my second question. Driver was old school from Iran and did not use the cruise control at all. Car did feel very tight still as that is what I’m looking for while being driven.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Volvo and Mercedes are the two most common taxi's in Sweden, but I have even seen a Tesla Model S painted as a taxi on the streets of Stockholm.

What most people seem to forget is that Volvo was always the Ford/Chevy of Sweden. It's almost crazy to those of us who ggrew up over there that Volvo is now sold as some sort of luxutry brand.

I grew up in all sorts of Volvo's in the 80's and 90's. None of them had leather seats or even power windows or air conditioning.

These were every mans cars, cheap to maintain and reliable.

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge Pro AWD
456 Posts
Have been up to Arvidsjaur for the last two winters, for some winter drivers training, the Taxi we had from the airport to the Hotel or Lake was allways a V90 or V90CC, all of them felt very solid and quite, even on the frozen country roads and on spiked tires.
The car with the highest mileage was a V90CC D4 AWD, two years old last February and 172’000km! I asked the driver how this is possible, ha answered their average drive is about 80km..., long distances far up in the north.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I guess this should be the answer to people that ask the question on the forum. Volvo’s can do high mileage without major issues.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
So I guess this should be the answer to people that ask the question on the forum. Volvo’s can do high mileage without major issues.

Volvo's have always been able to handle high milage, as long as you maintain them. My mechanic has afeelt of 6 or 7 loaners, all late 90's s/v70's, all with ~400k miles.

The only problem is, that as they get older, that maintenance starts getting expensive, especially with newer models.

I recently bought my S90 after I did the math and a CPO car payment was actually less than I was paying in maintenance every month on average on my 2009 S80 with 175k miles.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Those examples above are for diesel engines, which have proven reliability...I guess the question is how the T6 engine will hold in the long run.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
What most people seem to forget is that Volvo was always the Ford/Chevy of Sweden. It's almost crazy to those of us who grew up over there that Volvo is now sold as some sort of luxury brand.

Interesting parallel to Gevalia coffee, which is a supermarket quality brand in Sweden. Gevalia tried to launch itself as a premium import coffee in the US, mostly by mail order, but it did not go well. They have since slashed their offerings and are selling just their basic blends at sharply reduced prices... in supermarkets. Back to their roots. There should be an object lesson there for VCUSA.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Interesting parallel to Gevalia coffee, which is a supermarket quality brand in Sweden. Gevalia tried to launch itself as a premium import coffee in the US, mostly by mail order, but it did not go well. They have since slashed their offerings and are selling just their basic blends at sharply reduced prices... in supermarkets. Back to their roots. There should be an object lesson there for VCUSA.
But the coffee Gevalia sold in the USA was/is not the same as what they sell in Europe; the sold-in-Europe dark roasts are much better blends. The same is true of my favorite coffee, Lavazza, from Italy. What they market here is a far cry from what is sold in Europe or the UK. We load up on loose tea and coffee on European/UK trips and drink Peet's the rest of the time.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What most people seem to forget is that Volvo was always the Ford/Chevy of Sweden. It's almost crazy to those of us who ggrew up over there that Volvo is now sold as some sort of luxutry brand.

I grew up in all sorts of Volvo's in the 80's and 90's. None of them had leather seats or even power windows or air conditioning.

Volvo's and SAABs never were the Fords and Chevy's of Sweden. I lived in both Stockholm and Oslo in the 1970s and 1980s. Volvos and SAABs were more like Mercurys and Oldsmobiles. They were priced well above Opels/Vauxhalls, Fiats, VW, German/English Fords and compact and mid-size cars from Toyota and Datsun. Entry-level cars back then were Ladas, Yugos and (pre-VW) Skoda at one time or another.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Volvo's and SAABs never were the Fords and Chevy's of Sweden. I lived in both Stockholm and Oslo in the 1970s and 1980s. Volvos and SAABs were more like Mercurys and Oldsmobiles. They were priced well above Opels/Vauxhalls, Fiats, VW, German/English Fords and compact and mid-size cars from Toyota and Datsun. Entry-level cars back then were Ladas, Yugos and (pre-VW) Skoda at one time or another.
Agree for sure that it not ford or chevy deferentially olds or buick but not quite a cadi :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So do you guys think the petrol engine is just way out of specs for being 320bhp to last long, giving the diesel is similar build (different technology). I know from experience the diesels always lasted forever (not including some of the vw before common rail). I guess time will tell what the T5 T6 can handle in terms of longevity.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Those examples above are for diesel engines, which have proven reliability...I guess the question is how the T6 engine will hold in the long run.
That one is less tested.

I've seen gasoline 5 and 6 cylinder Volvo engines go very long, but I know less about the heritage of the modern 2.0, and I feel like the twin charging is less well tested by time.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
When I grew up in Sweden, Volvo's and Saabs were both every mans cars.

I agree, they were not the bottom barrel entry level, as you point out, but they were by no means marketed as luxury cars.

·
Registered
251 Posts
When I grew up in Sweden, Volvo's and Saabs were both every mans cars.

I agree, they were not the bottom barrel entry level, as you point out, but they were by no means marketed as luxury cars.
For sure, not luxury cars, that's why I compared them to Mercurys or Oldsmobiles of those days - a step up from Ford or Chevy, but not as upscale as Cadillac or Lincoln.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts