1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
55,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • Volvo Cars points to the future with the new S60 Cross Country
  • A segment first from Volvo Cars</li>
  • Builds on a strong heritage of lifestyle-oriented products

Volvo Cars is stepping up to meet the demands of its core customers with the unveiling of the exciting S60 Cross Country at the Detroit Auto Show.

Back in 1997, when Volvo was the first premium brand to introduce an all-road capable variant of its successful wagons, no one could predict the future success of the crossover concept. Today, the crossover is ubiquitous and has helped to define a whole new category of lifestyle vehicle. Volvo is once again taking a bold step forward – this time in the luxury sedan segment – with the unveiling of the S60 Cross Country – the first premium sedan with the same level of capability and rugged design cues of the renowned Cross Country wagons.

“We want to further explore the market with our Cross Country brand. We did this back in 1997 with the V70 Cross Country and it led to the birth of a whole new segment. We have included all the capability-driven benefits of the Cross Country brand in this new model, while offering a completely unique expression of adventure and all-road readiness in a distinctly sporty and stylish package,” said Lex Kerssemakers, Senior Vice President Product Strategy and Vehicle Line Management at Volvo Cars.

<strong>Capable stance</strong>
Like the recently introduced V60 Cross Country, the S60 Cross Country shares an increased ride height of 65mm (2.5 inches) and comes with the same capable All-Wheel Drive underpinnings of its sibling, making it the only truly capable and stylish all-road sedan crossover on the market. The S60 Cross Country will also be delivered with front-wheel drive in Europe and selected markets.

“The S60 Cross Country is the sole contender in the luxury crossover sedan segment. We have identified a clear niche in the market for a more capable sedan with rugged styling cues and a higher stance. The S60 Cross Country will appeal to people that are searching for an exciting and capable sedan, whilst enjoying the clear benefits that a crossover offers,” said Alain Visser, Senior Vice President Sales, Marketing and Customer Service.

Reflecting Volvo’s legendary capability of nature and Scandinavian heritage, the S60 Cross Country offers both 18” and 19” wheels with high profile tires that add both comfort and all-road aesthetics, reduce road noise, and add increased wheel protection when needed for city or country.

Delivering an involved and focused driving experience with rugged substance, this dynamic design brings a sporty and adventurous edge to the sedan.

<strong>Powertrain</strong>
The S60 Cross Country will launch with a powerful T5 All-Wheel Drive gasoline powertrain delivering up to 250 bhp* available in the US, Canada, Russia and Europe (254hp). Russia will receive 249 hp for taxation reasons and the EU 254hp. The S60 Cross Country is expected to be available on a limited basis this summer.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Interesting. A sore sight for eyes IMO, but interesting.

Too bad the C70 isn't around anymore. Volvo could have made a C70 Cross Country for the people who want more than a Jeep Wrangler…Or the S80 Cross Country :) LOL

We have seen this before. They called it the Eagle SX/4 or Eagle 4x4 Sedan.

At the end of the day, if they can move an extra few hundred of these a year, good for them.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think it's a good move! In the US lots of people like the "rugged" look, why not give them a little love? Indy around here sells a ton of P2 XC70s sporting the plastic bits, 2.5" lift makes it easier to get in and out of, high profile tires are good for pothole protection...but what will we compare it to to prove that it's too expensive etc? This is one of those cars that people might see in the showroom when they come in looking for something else and say "whoa, what's that?" If they make the Xenon headlights standard maybe I'll buy one...

·
Registered
538 Posts
I agree with deepfried, it's interesting.

It might be nicer if you could adjust the ride height. Something like the new XC90. As in have a "normal" S60 for highways, etc. Then increase the ride height when you get to a trail head/gravel.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
It is not only interesting. It is trying to attract the buyers who are looking at Subaru raised cars (sedan and wagons).

It is very practical too. American like AWD and cross country, but many do not like wagon. Cross Country sedan is a very good choice if people do not want a SUV or already have a SUV at home.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Worst design by volvo in several decades! It doesnt serve a purpose either, the V60 CC with more utility is already out there, no need for this bizzare frankenscar... OTOH it probably costs close to nothing for volvo to build this car, so any incremental sales they get would add to their bottom line I suppose; however I would have only launched this car in the US+Canada and maybe Scandinavia as I really dont see these selling in the rest of the world.

·
Registered
163 Posts
First reaction - I like it.
Whether it fills a niche, or serves a purpose, or whether I would personally purchase one - that's a different story.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Which T5 is this, the 5 cylinder one or the 4 cylinder one?

T5 to me still equals Turbo 5 cylinder.
It's an AWD. Do they have 4cyl T5 with AWD yet? Not, according to what I hear on this forum.

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Worst design by volvo in several decades! It doesnt serve a purpose either, the V60 CC with more utility is already out there, no need for this bizzare frankenscar... OTOH it probably costs close to nothing for volvo to build this car, so any incremental sales they get would add to their bottom line I suppose; however I would have only launched this car in the US+Canada and maybe Scandinavia as I really dont see these selling in the rest of the world.
Actually it costs Volvo a lot to make them, but the dealers will feel the hurt if they sit on the lots or sell with little profit margin. But yes, they are taking advantage of the economies of scale by sharing parts and mfg. processes from the S & V60 CC's ;) Regardless, it'll help the portfolio for now, and draw some needed attention at the shows and showrooms. :)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The new XC90 Convertible will be more interesting than this for sure.
Let's hope not. The Nissan Murano Cabrio has proven just how horrible the idea is. Also, sorry Volvo, I'm not a fan of this either...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts