SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I asked this question in another thread, but thought I would post here as there seems to be some confusion regarding the Warranty on the T8. In Volvo's warranty, there is the standard warranty, then there is the extended emissions warranty in certain states, but I have reviewed the warranty booklet, and it still seems unclear exactly which component are covered by what. GrecianVolvo has helped in the discussions saying that the battery warranty is extended for those states with the extended warranty period.

According to the Volvo Warranty book, page 65 states: PZEV vehicles identified on page 34 of this booklet have emissions components covered by 15 year/150,000 miles. Pages 68 and 69 list components, but none are the hybrid system components - just components which are common to the T6 and T8.

I have reached out to Volvo specifically as we have a T8 on order (it is presently on the ship coming) as to exactly what is the warranty for the XC90 T8, and its hybrid components.

Other manufacturers give a longer warranty for hybrid components, but there is no mention in the Volvo warranty of any extended warranty other than the PZEV warranty for specific states - and the warranty quoted in their warranty information (as shown here: http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/2016-Volvo-Warranty-Manual-v1.pdf ) does not mention specifically what is and is not covered with regard the the Hybrid/Electric powertrain, if anything.

Here is the response I received from Volvo today:

Hi,
I just wanted to follow up with you on your question about warranty on the Hybrid Parts. I have reached out to our Warranty Department and was informed we are waiting on the definitive list on what is covered from Sweden. Once I hear back on that I will follow up with you again. Please let me know if you have any questions I the meantime.
Kind Regards,
Volvo Customer Care
Volvo Cars of North America, LLC

So, officially it is still up in the air....I will post follow-ups when I receive them.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Most hybrid makers are mysterious about the life, depletion, and replacement cost of their batteries. But nobody is as mysterious as Volvo about the warranty. Meanwhile I'm amazed people have ordered T8s without asking this question.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
This is from the Lexus warranty page:

Hybrid System Warranty: This warranty covers repairs needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of the 1) Hybrid battery, 2) Hybrid battery control module, 3) Inverter with converter and 4) Hybrid contro module. Coverage is for 96 months or 100,000 miles whichever occurs first

Volvo's warranty, on the T8's components, is longer.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is from the Lexus warranty page: Hybrid System Warranty: This warranty covers repairs needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of the 1) Hybrid battery, 2) Hybrid battery control module, 3) Inverter with converter and 4) Hybrid contro module. Coverage is for 96 months or 100,000 miles whichever occurs first Volvo's warranty, on the T8's components, is longer.
Thanks GrecianVolvo. I would still love to see it somewhere in writing, and what is covered in ALL states. Especially with the reply I received from Volvo Customer Care saying that they were waiting word from Sweden. Please PM me if you have any other information as ours in crossing the Atlantic as we speak.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
My understanding is that 8 years or 100,000 miles is the US Federal minimum mandated hybrid warranty and that some states increase that to 10 years. I do not know if either covers the battery's capacity loss.

Volvo's UK hybrid warranty states:-

“For eight years from the date the vehicle is Delivered to the first owner or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, any material defect of the hybrid Lithium battery pack will be rectified free of charge by an authorised Volvo dealer.

The Lithium battery fitted to Volvo hybrids, like all lithium batteries, will experience gradual capacity loss with time and use. Loss of battery capacity due to or resulting from normal gradual capacity loss is not covered under the Volvo new car warranty.”

Which means the battery could lose substantial range in less than three years and not be covered. Other carmakers cover battery capacity loss below 70%, Nissan for 5 years, and BMW for 8 years, for example.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Good topic. This should definitely be made crystal clear, so customers can decide if they want to buy a supplemental battery warranty, for example.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good topic. This should definitely be made crystal clear, so customers can decide if they want to buy a supplemental battery warranty, for example.
It would be nice to know exactly what the warranty is, as it is not documented anywhere in print that I can find, and I have been asked by the dealership if I want an extended warranty. It would be nice to officially know what warranty there is to extend from. But it is brand new, and the US versions are just now coming off the boat (and currently being held up for final certification). Just getting excited that ours in on the way!!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have no doubt EVERY carmaker will eventually be making hybrids and/or EVs. So they need to get more informative and candid about them, particularly their batteries. People fear the unknown, quite understandably.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have no doubt EVERY carmaker will eventually be making hybrids and/or EVs. So they need to get more informative and candid about them, particularly their batteries. People fear the unknown, quite understandably.
We also own a Tesla Model S. We have had ours for almost exactly 3 years, and the Tesla battery pack is holding up very well. We have the 85 (larger battery pack), and our loss in range in 3 years of ownership in charging to 90% (what is recommended for daily use), is .01%. Yes - you read that correctly - after 3 years of ownership, our battery pack is still charging to 99% of its original capacity. This statistic is also true for the rare times we charge to 100% for trips - we are still achieving 99% of our original charge range.

Hopefully our Volvo T8 will be as efficient over time.

·
Registered
559 Posts
We also own a Tesla Model S. We have had ours for almost exactly 3 years, and the Tesla battery pack is holding up very well. We have the 85 (larger battery pack), and our loss in range in 3 years of ownership in charging to 90% (what is recommended for daily use), is .01%. Yes - you read that correctly - after 3 years of ownership, our battery pack is still charging to 99.99% of its original capacity. This statistic is also true for the rare times we charge to 100% for trips - we are still achieving 99.99% of our original charge range.

That's incredible! Good to know.

Tesla should start supplying batteries to Apple and Samsung for their cellphones. I'd happily pay $100 more for a cellphone if it promised me that 99.99% of my battery capacity would be retained after 3 years.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
We also own a Tesla Model S. We have had ours for almost exactly 3 years, and the Tesla battery pack is holding up very well. We have the 85 (larger battery pack), and our loss in range in 3 years of ownership in charging to 90% (what is recommended for daily use), is .01%. Yes - you read that correctly - after 3 years of ownership, our battery pack is still charging to 99.99% of its original capacity. This statistic is also true for the rare times we charge to 100% for trips - we are still achieving 99.99% of our original charge range.

Impressive!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I received an update from Volvo regarding the warranty for the Hybrid components. They are still waiting on Sweden to publish the hybrid warranty. Here is their update:

Hello,
I am writing to follow up with you on your questions about the hybrid components in the XC90 T8. At this time, we are still waiting on Sweden to get the specifics on the hybrid warranty. Once we have that information available it will be listed on our website. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Kind Regards,
Volvo Customer Care
Volvo Cars of North America, LLC

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just received an email from Volvo Customer Care and a copy of the T8 warranty in PDF format.
Here is the details:
Battery: 8 years/100,000 miles (they define the Battery as defective is it will not hold a charge of 55% of the new original charge during the 8 years)
Hybrid Components: 8 years/100 miles
....now if we just knew what "Hybrid Components" is comprised of. The book had no listing.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
55% is very low and suggests Volvo's expectations for their battery are similarly low, particularly if the battery deteriorates to say 60% long before 8 years. Oddly enough, the buyer may be better off with the Volvo UK approach since “normal gradual capacity loss” may be deemed to be less than the 45% loss allowed for by Volvo in North America.

Meanwhile Volvo and all other hybrid makers need to spell out the cost of replacing their batteries now if they really wish to overcome the suspicion of hybrids that is obvious, not least here on Swedespeed where commenters probably know more about hybrids than do most people.

Hybrid components probably mean the power electronics system, the two electric motors, and possibly the rear e-axle. Electric motors have only one moving part and are generally reliable but I am concerned about electronic faults given that seems to be the new XC90's main problem area. I thoroughly agree that Volvo need to identify the relevant components.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
That's incredible! Good to know.

Tesla should start supplying batteries to Apple and Samsung for their cellphones. I'd happily pay $100 more for a cellphone if it promised me that 99.99% of my battery capacity would be retained after 3 years.
Tesla doesn't supply it, Panasonic does. Also, I'm more than sure that no one follows battery charge recommendations like they do their cell phone as rogbmw does with his car, which take a huge toll on battery life.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Please note that I corrected my depletion number. I am at 99% for my estimated range after 3 years, not 99.99%. That was a mistake on my part for the initial post. It seems that most Tesla owners are down about 3% - 4% after 2-3 years. Still very good. I hope that Volvo will be the same, and I imagine that they should be close. Tesla does not at the present time make their own batteries - the have just figured out a very good way to manage them. So hopefully, the technology for Volvo should be the same. But then again, remember that 3-4% of say 40 miles is a smaller mileage amount than 3-4% of say 265 mile battery range.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I just received an email from Volvo Customer Care and a copy of the T8 warranty in PDF format.
Here is the details:
Battery: 8 years/100,000 miles (they define the Battery as defective is it will not hold a charge of 55% of the new original charge during the 8 years)
Hybrid Components: 8 years/100 miles
....now if we just knew what "Hybrid Components" is comprised of. The book had no listing.
Any chance you can post the PDF?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sorry to bump this old post. Does anybody know the cost of the replacement battery including labor? I remember someone mentioned if the battery is dead you cannot drive the car, is it true?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sorry to bump this old post. Does anybody know the cost of the replacement battery including labor? I remember someone mentioned if the battery is dead you cannot drive the car, is it true?
I'm pretty sure nobody has yet had a battery replacement on a T8. One thing to consider is that in 6-8 years when you might possibly need a battery under warranty, batteries will probably be cheaper and you will probably replace yours with a lightly used pack.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts