SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own the premium sound so i now want the subwooder option. my dealer is charging me $812 for parts alone, an after reading some post of other owners who have installed this option i think, ney, i know i can save atleast $200 on parts. my dealer is charging my $215 for install, which seems to be a far price.

now i need a website or company i can order the parts for less. thanks.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Re: volvo subwoofer option (Dede)

If you buy them outside a dealer, I believe you will still need to get the program installed by the dealer.

My initial reaction when I got the factory sub was that it was not that much better than the premium audio package (sans sub). I have always been a bass head (three JL 10W6s in a 3rd gen RX7 pushed by 600watts - tiny cabin with that many 10s was probably overkill, plus a slew of other cars that I always installed at least one sub in). However, the factory sub has grown on me (or I have grown up). The bass response and power are actually very good. I can't say that it was worth the $1,100 I paid for it (since in most other cars, you could have a nice custom setup made for far less), but it integrates into the system and sounds very clean. If you like the rolling thunder sound though, it may not be enough for you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Re: volvo subwoofer option (Dede)

Remember you have to change to the high load floor and add the wiring and software as well... Only your dealer can install the software, and if you buy the part elsewhere they're not going to be too happy about installing it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: volvo subwoofer option (GoSwedeRacer)

hey, thanks fir the advise, GOSWEDERACER. i, too, used to install crazy sound systems. my rule of thumb was more the better, but now, quality is what i look forward to. grown up sums it correctly.

however, i still have not yet heard and installed sub, but i really love the idea of having the 'SUBWOOFER' control on my display. im very turned off by the idea of adding a sub + amp and tap into the speaker lines.

you are in Irvine...i listen to KROQ and KBIG mostly, and download a whole lota house/trance music. not a fan of booming rap and hiphop. what is your take on the sub used on these stations and music choices.
thanks!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Re: volvo subwoofer option (volvos40t5)

you could go with the factory $$$ solution, buy it online, install it yourself, have dealer program it, then after a week, rip out everything past fiber optic transceiver and install your own amp and sub and enclosure. There is a write up somewhere on a guy that already did this.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OLDMAN: you read my mind. that was one option i had if i was not happy with the sound. i too rememeber that write up, but cannot find it in the search. my local sound guys can do it with converters of some sort.

but im sure i will be satisfied with the factory sub.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: volvo subwoofer option (volvos40t5)

I have the premium sound as well, but I opted for the pre-install of the subwoofer system. It was a no charge option and I have the subwoofer control already, without having the sub itself.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Re: (volvos40t5)

I've got the factory sub and have been quite happy with it. I'm coming from the Bose system that comes factory installed in an A6 and I like the Volvo setup much more.

Looked around online and after getting tired of trying to find somebody with all the right parts, just ended up doing a dealer install. A few extra bucks, but no hassle.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: volvo subwoofer option (fir646)

Quote, originally posted by fir646 »
I have the premium sound as well, but I opted for the pre-install of the subwoofer system. It was a no charge option and I have the subwoofer control already, without having the sub itself.
I have not seen anything about a pre-install option for the subwoofer. Is that yet another option not available to US customers?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
It was an option I believe until this 06 model year. You can get it at the delivery center installed for 675. Give them an email about it a few days before you go.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
That is indeed US dollars and that is the subwoofer installed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts