1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how the XC60 and XC90 fare against the other midsize SUVs. I'm currently in the market, still not sure what I want to/will buy but I do hope that results for the SUVs are released sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not directly on point, but relevant, since the XC60 and S60 share the platform, and XC60 should be "sturdier"...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...isions-prove-more-dangerous-in-new-crash-test<O:p</O:p
The XC60 is sturdier against cars of a lesser weight due to its weight advantage over the S60, however note the intrusion measurements in the frontal moderate overlap test for the S60 here: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/datatables.aspx?class=15&type=f

And for the XC60 here: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/datatables.aspx?class=50&type=f

In that comparison for that test at least, the S60's safety cage pound for pound appears to be sturdier than the XC60's, if only slightly.

In addition, it's interesting to note that in the moderate overlap test (IIHS's original frontal test) for the S60, the side airbags deployed (http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=1470&seriesid=412). However, for the XC60 (http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=1202&seriesid=686) they did not.

If they don't in the XC60 for the small overlap test either (and that's just an assumption, and you know what they say about those...) I imagine that could be resolved with a software update from Volvo, if Volvo wanted to do that.

Again, just an assumption -- we'll have to wait for the actual results to come out first to see what happens. :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
My understanding is that Volvo designs their cars for the potential of multiple impacts (you get hit and then pushed into another lane and are struck again by a vehicle in that lane) and chooses not to deploy airbags unless necessary so they can still be ready for second or even third impact that potentially happen in a chain of events in a crash. You will see in many if not all other manufactures offset crash videos they deploy ALL the airbags to maximize the score for the test.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My understanding is that Volvo designs their cars for the potential of multiple impacts (you get hit and then pushed into another lane and are struck again by a vehicle in that lane) and chooses not to deploy airbags unless necessary so they can still be ready for second or even third impact that potentially happen in a chain of events in a crash. You will see in many if not all other manufactures offset crash videos they deploy ALL the airbags to maximize the score for the test.
This is an excellent point and one that industry experts, IIHS etc. should take seriously. It wouldn't be the first time that Volvo's safety engineering has run a generation or two ahead of the industry-standard test methods. Other manufacturers typically design to the test; Volvo designs to their own research. One might predict that IIHS et. al. will start to test multiple-impact scenarios in the coming years, and Volvo will be cited again as a leader. Volvo has taken their lumps in the past (no pun intended) when occasionally their scores were hurt because their newest designs reflected their independently-researched safety priorities rather than the current crash-test standards.

The Asian makers have (as ever) been improving their products steadily if reactively - it seems that the European makers have (as ever) been defensive. See this quote regarding the latest small-offset test results in which the Mercedes-Benz C-class didn't fare so well:

Mercedes responded by questioning the value of the test, saying, "As a leader in automotive safety, we have full confidence in the protection that the C-Class affords its occupants -- and less confidence in any test that doesn't reflect that."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...est-brings-lower-scores-649514/#ixzz23vbiCEQd
As an engineer and a customer (my wife has driven Mercedes cars for several years now and I have a running friendly banter-competition with the local M-B manager), it somewhat offends me that a respected and capable manufacturer would not find a more intelligent way to respond to the test results.

In any case, kudos again to Volvo.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ZzZz said:
In that comparison for that test at least, the S60's safety cage pound for pound appears to be sturdier than the XC60's, if only slightly.
That being said the side structure appears to be sturdier in the XC60 (less intrusion in the IIHS side test).

Interesting point, however Volvo appears to have changed course, as the S60 is only 1-2 years newer than the XC60 and the S60's side airbags deploy in the IIHS original moderate overlap frontal crash test, but the XC60's don't.

Now again, I'm no engineer -- however, if the side airbag deploying would help reduce injuries in a "primary" (first) frontal crash, I would think it would be best to deploy them rather than saving them for a maybe (i.e., maybe another crash will occur, maybe it won't, or if it does it's less severe). They might not be as necessary in a moderate overlap crash but due to the sideways movement of the dummy in smaller overlap crashes (like in IIHS's new test) they appear to be more necessary.

I'm in the market for an SUV and will be buying hopefully by the end of the year. To be honest I had kind of written the XC60 off due to price and it being of a slightly lower weight than I'd like, but Volvo and the S60's performance in IIHS's new small overlap test just confirmed that indeed Volvo IS still ahead of the fray when it comes to safety, and it does appear to be true that the other manufacturers have only "caught up" to Volvo in the old independent tests, but not in overall safety. And so now the XC60 is back at the top of my list.

Anyway, if I do buy an XC60, if IIHS tests the XC60 in the small overlap test and the side airbags don't deploy (again, this is assuming they don't -- the test hasn't been done yet), it would be really awesome if Volvo came out with a software update or something that changed the algorithm to match the S60's so the side airbags deploy -- I would imagine this would be pretty easy to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts