SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Volvo
> Average age when turned in: 7.05 years
> Change from previous year: 2.8% (10th least)
> Market share: 0.4% (9th lowest)
> Average buyer age: 51 years old

Volvo has struggled significantly in recent years, and currently has just a 0.4% market share, worse than makes such as Scion and MINI. In 2010, Ford dumped Volvo, selling the brand to China’s Zhejiang Geely Holding Group. Despite Volvo’s traditional reputation for safety — five models currently have top safety pick ratings from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety — owners are largely unsatisfied. According to J.D. Power and Associates, only 30% of Volvo owners purchase a new vehicle from Volvo when trading in their old car, one of the worst retention rates in the automotive industry. The make has become a tough sell, and dealers now need an average of 76 days to move Volvos off their lots — more than the 61-day industry average.

Read more: Nine Cars Americans Keep the Longest - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2012/11/06/nine-cars-americans-keep-the-longest/#ixzz2BrrMgQmr

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Yep,
But what do you expect from a marginal luxury (near luxury?) maker sold at the fire sale just 2 years ago?
Guys, if you are truly brand fans...please stop feeding each other with the negative energy...
Let the brand to get its act together...you are not helping this company by scaring even more potential customers away...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The negativity of most people on here helps no one at Volvo nor anyone looking to purchase a car. Saab was in FAR worse situations for over 20 years and they had extremely high return buyers. Now why is that? Because the general community was positive, optimistic, and loved the brand to (quite literally) death. Posting your negativity here doesn't make people want to return to Volvos despite them being great cars to drive and the safest things on the road this side of a tank (though, of course Volvo is much more than that). Why is it that people were happy with their boxy Volvos of the 1980's-1990's when the only thing about them was their reliability and tough build quality. Why is it that they were so happy with their cars that, in all honestly, didn't actually do more than just drive? Why is it that now with Volvo exploring new design languages (and some of the most graceful ones to date), becoming more and more of a headache for the German rivals, and having vastly more powerful and capable vehicles that Volvo drivers seem so unhappy? So displeased they are that Volvo isn't the standard for EVERYTHING despite knowing how small the company is in comparison. And on top of that many have no problem with stating that they will not be buying a new Volvo and telling their friends to also not buy one, yet they somehow expect Volvo to increase sales... Sometimes I wonder to myself why I bother being a Volvo fan. Not because of the cars, but because of THIS community. Endlessly bitching. Endlessly moaning. Endlessly predicting doom. Endlessly stating that Volvo has lost its way. In what ways could these people be satisfied?! :facepalm:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A Wake-Up Call

Absolutely you're right: it doesn't do the community well to constantly post negative reviews of the brand. It doesn't help the brand survive. It doesn't reflect to others how nice a brand it is and what it still offers to the consumer who chooses to drive the cars. All points well taken.

However, at the same time the question many ask is why Volvo's management doesn't listen and respond to the need to make dramatic changes in the way it conducts it's approach to the market. When developing products why not listen to the American consumer and give their feedback equal due in the process of developing the cars? Don't we all think that listening would have resulted in the need for fuel efficient cars being addressed long before now? If the American consumer has accepted hybrids, diesel and other forms of energy such a electric, then why not offer it here? Why hold back on it and restrict these energies to the European market or the Chinese markets only?

These are often times the questions the consumer asks when approaching the brand, whether it be a new convert to the brand or the long-time supporters of the brand. They are frustrated. They want the brand to change and to reflect their values for not only fuel efficiency but for the various forms of energy they have begun to explore in other brands.

They are not stupid. They can see how the brand has failed to respond. They are disappointed. They want to support the brand. Volvo management needs to recognize how important it is to move away from the Swedish center of the world philosophy that had a way of making them a great brand, but now serves only to hold them back from making the right world decisions. Of course China is important. Of course the future volume in sales will come from there. In the meantime, don't abandon the American market with the thought that once things are right in China you can simply waltz back into the USA and re-capture the necessary market share you need to be successful worldwide.

In the end, no one wants all this negativity. Absolutely not. What everyone wants is to see the brand respond in a timely manner, correct its failures and once again find a way into the hearts and minds of the American consumer who wants to buy the brand but needs to be given good reasons to do so. Sure the consumer can wait, but with each passing day now the competition doesn't wait. It continues to march forward with it's vision that often times is very compelling and attracts many consumers to buy its view of the world.

The negativity of most people on here helps no one at Volvo nor anyone looking to purchase a car. Saab was in FAR worse situations for over 20 years and they had extremely high return buyers. Now why is that? Because the general community was positive, optimistic, and loved the brand to (quite literally) death. Posting your negativity here doesn't make people want to return to Volvos despite them being great cars to drive and the safest things on the road this side of a tank (though, of course Volvo is much more than that). Why is it that people were happy with their boxy Volvos of the 1980's-1990's when the only thing about them was their reliability and tough build quality. Why is it that they were so happy with their cars that, in all honestly, didn't actually do more than just drive? Why is it that now with Volvo exploring new design languages (and some of the most graceful ones to date), becoming more and more of a headache for the German rivals, and having vastly more powerful and capable vehicles that Volvo drivers seem so unhappy? So displeased they are that Volvo isn't the standard for EVERYTHING despite knowing how small the company is in comparison. And on top of that many have no problem with stating that they will not be buying a new Volvo and telling their friends to also not buy one, yet they somehow expect Volvo to increase sales... Sometimes I wonder to myself why I bother being a Volvo fan. Not because of the cars, but because of THIS community. Endlessly bitching. Endlessly moaning. Endlessly predicting doom. Endlessly stating that Volvo has lost its way. In what ways could these people be satisfied?! :facepalm:

·
Registered
415 Posts
this thread gives me shivers, but Volvo is working really hard on designing new products. The new XC90 will be such a great vehicle. I believe it is Volvo's most important car, and this new car will be followed by a continuation of similar technology updates.

I do wish Volvo sent over new products, like the V60 hybrid and V40, even if the sales were kinda low. They should have sent them over to keep the momentum of products moving. To go from 2011 S60 to 2014 XC90 is too far of a leap.

BOTTOM LINE is that, even though there seems to be inactivity on the marketing, I know Volvo is working hard and independently to build there own fantastic products. I know that this is true.

·
Registered
558 Posts
1. Volvo
> Average age when turned in: 7.05 years
> Change from previous year: 2.8% (10th least)
> Market share: 0.4% (9th lowest)
> Average buyer age: 51 years old

Volvo has struggled significantly in recent years, and currently has just a 0.4% market share, worse than makes such as Scion and MINI. In 2010, Ford dumped Volvo, selling the brand to China’s Zhejiang Geely Holding Group. Despite Volvo’s traditional reputation for safety — five models currently have top safety pick ratings from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety — owners are largely unsatisfied. According to J.D. Power and Associates, only 30% of Volvo owners purchase a new vehicle from Volvo when trading in their old car, one of the worst retention rates in the automotive industry. The make has become a tough sell, and dealers now need an average of 76 days to move Volvos off their lots — more than the 61-day industry average.

Read more: Nine Cars Americans Keep the Longest - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2012/11/06/nine-cars-americans-keep-the-longest/#ixzz2BrrMgQmr
Really don't see what point you are making here? Are you a Volvo enthusiast or just trying to sling mud???

·
Registered
558 Posts
P.S.

If I were you I would sell my Volvo (if you have one) and move on.

Have a nice day :mad:

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Absolutely you're right: it doesn't do the community well to constantly post negative reviews of the brand. It doesn't help the brand survive. It doesn't reflect to others how nice a brand it is and what it still offers to the consumer who chooses to drive the cars. All points well taken.

However, at the same time the question many ask is why Volvo's management doesn't listen and respond to the need to make dramatic changes in the way it conducts it's approach to the market. When developing products why not listen to the American consumer and give their feedback equal due in the process of developing the cars? Don't we all think that listening would have resulted in the need for fuel efficient cars being addressed long before now? If the American consumer has accepted hybrids, diesel and other forms of energy such a electric, then why not offer it here? Why hold back on it and restrict these energies to the European market or the Chinese markets only?

These are often times the questions the consumer asks when approaching the brand, whether it be a new convert to the brand or the long-time supporters of the brand. They are frustrated. They want the brand to change and to reflect their values for not only fuel efficiency but for the various forms of energy they have begun to explore in other brands.

They are not stupid. They can see how the brand has failed to respond. They are disappointed. They want to support the brand. Volvo management needs to recognize how important it is to move away from the Swedish center of the world philosophy that had a way of making them a great brand, but now serves only to hold them back from making the right world decisions. Of course China is important. Of course the future volume in sales will come from there. In the meantime, don't abandon the American market with the thought that once things are right in China you can simply waltz back into the USA and re-capture the necessary market share you need to be successful worldwide.

In the end, no one wants all this negativity. Absolutely not. What everyone wants is to see the brand respond in a timely manner, correct its failures and once again find a way into the hearts and minds of the American consumer who wants to buy the brand but needs to be given good reasons to do so. Sure the consumer can wait, but with each passing day now the competition doesn't wait. It continues to march forward with it's vision that often times is very compelling and attracts many consumers to buy its view of the world.

What good does the senseless chewing/regurgitation (in the most graphic meaning of this word) of Volvo problems on the obscure internet forum do beyond the catering to the bloated egos of "I smarter than the Volvo management" participants?

Oh, I know one...turning a few more potential customers away from the Volvo show room...

Look, I drive 2008 S80, my wife drives 2005 XC90...there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with those fine and formidable vehicles...they are NOT Audi, MB or BMW that IS exactly what we LOVE about them...let people make their own choices...you do NOT HAVE TO search internet for the negative news...or even if you have to, you do NOT HAVE TO share it on the Volvo FAN's forum...

·
Registered
708 Posts
I swore to myself a long time ago that I would never give up driving 240 wagons, that newer Volvos were too full of tech that eventually breaks down and causes problems. Now I own '93 240 Wagon and an '08 C30. And to be honest, I love the C30 more than my 240. Don't get me wrong, my 240 is a great car, and I know the engine will never die on me, but if I were to compare the interior, the seats (heated in my C30), the handling, the driveability, it all goes to the C30. I will never get rid of my 240, but the C30 is now my DD, and the 240 is reserved for home depot runs and weekend errands.
I personally cannot wait for the 2014 XC90, because my wife has an '09 S60, and with hopes of starting a family, we are looking to replace her car with an XC90. I have no problem with the old designs, but am hoping this new one will have better MPG numbers. And if it doesn't, we will not hesitate to grab a used one.
I always have been and always will be a Volvo fan for life. I just don't trust my family in any other car.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I swore to myself a long time ago that I would never give up driving 240 wagons, that newer Volvos were too full of tech that eventually breaks down and causes problems. Now I own '93 240 Wagon and an '08 C30. And to be honest, I love the C30 more than my 240. Don't get me wrong, my 240 is a great car, and I know the engine will never die on me, but if I were to compare the interior, the seats (heated in my C30), the handling, the driveability, it all goes to the C30. I will never get rid of my 240, but the C30 is now my DD, and the 240 is reserved for home depot runs and weekend errands.
I personally cannot wait for the 2014 XC90, because my wife has an '09 S60, and with hopes of starting a family, we are looking to replace her car with an XC90. I have no problem with the old designs, but am hoping this new one will have better MPG numbers. And if it doesn't, we will not hesitate to grab a used one.
I always have been and always will be a Volvo fan for life. I just don't trust my family in any other car.
It is really nice to hear that. I am more excited for this XC90 than I was for the current S60 2 years ago. I may be just a teenager, but I eager to be a Volvo fan for life. The current generation isnot up to date with MPG and tech, but I think the rest of the car is fantastic. My friend has one and loves it. These campaigns show, that even after over 10 years of the same design, the XC90 is still amazing. When the XC90 seizes production, it will be very bitter sweet for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E30JtJjVWMo&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKXSPRjQ92c

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It is really nice to hear that. I am more excited for this XC90 than I was for the current S60 2 years ago. I may be just a teenager, but I eager to be a Volvo fan for life. The current generation isnot up to date with MPG and tech, but I think the rest of the car is fantastic. My friend has one and loves it. These campaigns show, that even after over 10 years of the same design, the XC90 is still amazing. When the XC90 seizes production, it will be very bitter sweet for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E30JtJjVWMo&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKXSPRjQ92c
I can relate to your story. I have been a Volvo fan since I drove my first Volvo for the first time (as a teenager). But that was years ago...
I love Volvo's because they are tanks, they are strong, have strong engines (who doesn't think stealth speed is the best?), and they are easy on the eyes. I cant for the face lift on the s60/xc60 this year, the new 8 speed tranny's that are coming out, and the new xc90 as well. This coming year will be a great one for Volvo.

·
Super Moderator
3,779 Posts
According to J.D. Power and Associates, only 30% of Volvo owners purchase a new vehicle from Volvo when trading in their old car, one of the worst retention rates in the automotive industry.
I see a problem with this statistic. How about people who turn in their Volvo for another USED Volvo? I say this because I'm pulling the trigger on my THIRD straight USED Volvo next week. And its my SECOND CPO.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Anybody see this months Car and Driver?

When you are looking to spend > $30K on a car, the idea that the manufacturer may not last in the US market is definetly a reason to look elsewhere. What will that investment be worth if Volvo leaves the US? What about the warranty that no longer exists?

The problem is not with the Volvo market, but with Volvo management, who are doing nothing to reassure their potential buyers that they will continue to be in business in this market.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I see a problem with this statistic. How about people who turn in their Volvo for another USED Volvo? I say this because I'm pulling the trigger on my THIRD straight USED Volvo next week. And its my SECOND CPO.
Buying used however doesn't really help the manufacturer. Retention rates for customers who only buy used vehicles are important for dealerships though.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just love my '83 242 w/B230FT/M46, '06 V50 T5 AWD 6 speed, '12 C30 T5 6 speed w/Polestar and OSD. I don't know of any auto manufacturer that provides the safety, design, reliability and the Overseas Delivery Program like Volvo. Who in the world could not like a company that considers their customer's safety #1?

I just hope they continue to make manual transmissions available...PLEASE.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't know...I found the info given by the OP to be interesting and helpful. I'm surprised by such a strong response.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts