SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know an auto parts store equivalent to Volvo's splines grease (1161748)? I went to the local Volvo dealer and they didn't have any and the parts guy told me he hasn't seen the techs use the Volvo product in a long time. I talked with one of the service people but he couldn't tell me off hand what they use for collar sleeve splines but did indicate it should be a high-moly content lithium based grease. Of course, I had previously ordered all the possible seals I could need from FCP but failed to realize the spline grease was something special. For other applications in VIDA such as lubricating an axle seal it simply states to use wheel-bearing grease so they fact it doesn't state that for the collar sleeve tells me it is more than just bearing grease.

I bought some Sta-Lube Moly-Graph® Extreme Pressure Multi-Purpose Lithium Grease but I'm having second thoughts and am considering Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Moly-Fortified Gray Grease. I've read on other forums that people just used CV axle grease and the Valvoline grease is indicated for CV joints while the Sta-Lube grease doesn't list that as a use case.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
I don't think it's very critical. Mainly you want moly grease for that type of application (sliding, clearance fit), and something that will stay put. And a dab'll do ya.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
509 Posts
General CV axle grease will do fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts