1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Was the XC70 not tested? Doesn't Acura taunt in their commercials that they have the most Top Safety picks of any luxury brand? Great news nonetheless!

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
That's fantastic. Now all Volvo needs is some sort of an advertising presence to let people know the news ;-) seriously though, I can't remeber the last time I saw a volvo ad other than a browser banner.

·
Registered
127 Posts
"Volvo from Sweeden"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
That's fantastic. Now all Volvo needs is some sort of an advertising presence to let people know the news ;-) seriously though, I can't remeber the last time I saw a volvo ad other than a browser banner.
+1 on the good news. I see an XC90 commercial atleast twice a day. Maybe I watch too much TV :)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Oh really? That's awesome. I watch all my "TV" on the Internet these days, but there are still car ads a plenty. Have never seen a volvo spot. Nor have I seen them in print media (NYT, New Yorker) or heard radio spots; though a friend told me he actually has heard several spots for the XC90 on Hot97, NYCs number one for hip-hop and r&b. I've actually heard long-time resident DJ-turned radio personality Funkmaster Flex is a Volvo fan.

Anyone know who their North American agency is? I'll do a little digging. Curious to see what their approach looks like these days...

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Was the XC70 not tested? Doesn't Acura taunt in their commercials that they have the most Top Safety picks of any luxury brand? Great news nonetheless!

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
They have this disclaimer: "When equipped with optional front crash protection"
and excludes the TLX which was not tested for 2016.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/A7Wl/acura-safety-the-test

Not wanting to take too much away from Acura since all manufactures focusing
on safety is a good thing; but, collision avoidance should probably not be an option
in 2016.

I once read an article that discussed the ethics of ordering a Volvo without the
optional Pedestrian Detection in 2012 when it launched. That is, do you pay extra
to protect someone not in the car when most pedestrian collisions are the
pedestrians fault. And what if you hit a pedestrian and did not order it? Optional safety
systems bring issues of ethics to everyone but few probably consider the ethics around
ordering optional safety equipment:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703954004576090062802195584

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Thought they ditched Grey but may have just been their London office. Thanks for clarification.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
They have this disclaimer: "When equipped with optional front crash protection"
and excludes the TLX which was not tested for 2016.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/A7Wl/acura-safety-the-test

Not wanting to take too much away from Acura since all manufactures focusing
on safety is a good thing; but, collision avoidance should probably not be an option
in 2016.

I once read an article that discussed the ethics of ordering a Volvo without the
optional Pedestrian Detection in 2012 when it launched. That is, do you pay extra
to protect someone not in the car when most pedestrian collisions are the
pedestrians fault. And what if you hit a pedestrian and did not order it? Optional safety
systems bring issues of ethics to everyone but few probably consider it:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703954004576090062802195584
You say this like Volvo didn't make City Safety standard all of a year ago, it was optional before that. Things like BLIS are still optional. A lot of people simply don't want to pay for the extra cost of these systems despite their usefulness.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I wish stuff in tech package would be standard. I'm still getting the package, but would've been better if it were just standard equipment.

Also, as far as TV spots go, XC90 commercial is played twice at almost every commercial break now. It showcases the pedestrian detection and other safety features briefly (it didn't before).

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
You say this like Volvo didn't make City Safety standard all of a year ago, it was optional before that. Things like BLIS are still optional. A lot of people simply don't want to pay for the extra cost of these systems despite their usefulness.
Yep, I did think it was standard on all Volvo models from 2010. Turns out not. Thanks for the correction.

It was standard on the current gen S60 from initial launch (at least in North America)
and standard on the 2010+ XC60 -- but not other models.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Yep, I did think it was standard on all Volvo models from 2010. Turns out not. Thanks for the correction.

It was standard on the current gen S60 from initial launch (at least in North America)
and standard on the 2010+ XC60 -- but not other models.
The current Gen S60 came out in 2010. It has had a few revisions, but it is still the same generation, P3. City Safety was not standard until 2014. Are you saying it was standard on all 2010+ XC60 or just NA, because it definitely was not on all XC60's as that demonstration in the DR made very clear when they plowed through the group of people during the very dumb demo. It is all really a mute point as collision avoidance is about to be federally mandated for all new cars, http://www.ntsb.gov/safety/mwl/pages/mwl10_2012.aspx.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
The current Gen S60 came out in 2010. It has had a few revisions, but it is still the same generation, P3. City Safety was not standard until 2014. Are you saying it was standard on all 2010+ XC60 or just NA, because it definitely was not on all XC60's as that demonstration in the DR made very clear when they plowed through the group of people during the very dumb demo. It is all really a mute point as collision avoidance is about to be federally mandated for all new cars.
There's City Safety (only for low speed vehicle-vehicle interaction) and then there are models that are equipped with Technology Pkg which in recent years includes Pedestrian and Cyclist Safety. The video of the people getting plowed only had City Safety not Pedestrian Safety feature. My parents 2010 XC60RD had City Safety standard. I think the S80/XC70 only got City Safety as a feature later on in its life cycle, because I don't remember hearing or seeing it on anything until after the XC60 and new S60 came out.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
City Safety was standard. Pedestrian Detection was optional. (They are different.)
Pedestrian Detection was introduced later (2012, I think). I think Pedestrian Detection
still remains optional and is part of the Technology Package.

Confusing the two probably led to that video where the dealer/salesman thought they
were the same or thought the XC60 had Pedestrian Detection.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
City Safety was standard. Pedestrian Detection was optional. (They are different.)
Pedestrian Detection was introduced later (2012, I think). I think Pedestrian Detection

Confusing the two probably led to that video where the dealer/salesman thought they
I would argue that Pedestrian detection is more useful to save lives. Car accidents below 25mph don't result in many or any deaths whereas hitting Pedestrians definitely does.

·
Registered
87 Posts

I'm a little lost, do I have this right? Previously City Safety only prevented low-speed rear endings unless paired with OPTIONAL pedestrian detection. For the newer cars City Safety includes Pedestrian Detection in all models. The website says "IntelliSafe technologies vary between models," IMO this is just asking for confusion.

Volvo really needs to keep their marketing consistent. My dealer had trouble explaining--and I had trouble understanding--which options were included in which package.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I would argue that Pedestrian detection is more useful to save lives. Car accidents below 25mph don't result in many or any deaths whereas hitting Pedestrians definitely does.
I agree that they should just make it standard to go along with the standard City Safety. I just looked at the owners manual and City Safety is good up to speeds of 30mph and Pedestrian/Cyclist is good up to 50mph for full auto-brake with warning.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I'm a little lost, do I have this right? Previously City Safety only prevented low-speed rear endings unless paired with OPTIONAL pedestrian detection. For the newer cars City Safety includes Pedestrian Detection in all models. The website says "IntelliSafe technologies vary between models," IMO this is just asking for confusion.

Volvo really needs to keep their marketing consistent. My dealer had trouble explaining--and I had trouble understanding--which options were included in which package.
Since you have a Platinum model, you have Technology package included with your vehicle; MY2015.5 and up Platinum trim models have Technology pkg included as standard equipment. Technology package gives you Pedestrian and Cyclist detection with full auto brake.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
>> For the newer cars City Safety includes Pedestrian Detection in all models.

Nope, it is part of the Technology Package.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts