SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Volvo story really begins over two decades ago, before I was even born. When my parents were in the Army they were stationed in Germany for a few years and took the opportunity to go pick out Volvos at the factory. My dad bought a 1993 850. It was dark blue on blue leather with a manual transmission and as a kid I thought it was the coolest thing on wheels. I tried to make an 850 as my Pinewood Derby car when I was about nine, but he said it wouldn't be aerodynamic enough. My mom went for a burgundy 1993 240 wagon (a Classic Limited Edition, although I don't remember what number it was. I still have the plaque from the dash) and I resented it because it had heated front seats but I wasn't old enough to sit up front to take advantage of them.

My mom's 240, Tilly, met its end in 2003. My mom was sitting at a stoplight downtown and her light turned green. She began to cross, but some guy was "trying to make the light" (doing 55-ish in a 25) and broadsided her on the drivers side. Tilly was knocked airborne and either flipped once or just tipped onto the passenger side, I don't really remember. My mom walked away with nothing more than a bruise the length of her forearm and a really bad attitude...(She REALLY liked that car.)

We replaced the 240 with a 1996 960 wagon. It was the same shade of dark blue as my dad's 850 but with a tan interior. We bought it online so my dad flew out to Texas and drove it back. It was the first car I'd ever seen with a rear facing third seat and the night he made it back to Dover we all went for a ride. My sister and I took the third row and waved at all the cars behind us, getting there attention so we could show off the fact that yes, we were sitting in the trunk, yes, there were real seats with seat belts back there, and yes, we were the coolest kids on Earth. That car actually saved my life twice. Anyone ever had their gas cap door fall off?? It seems to be a common problem on our cars. That actually saved my life, indirectly. Without going into too much detail, an individual planted a bomb in my mom's gas tank one night. The next morning she dropped me off at school and went to work just like any other morning. It was then, as she was walking towards her building, that she looked back and noticed that there were exposed wires sticking out from her gas tank. She called the police and long story short they later determined that the bomb indeed would/could/should have gone off.
We kept the 960 and it became my sister's first car, and then later mine. It was a rickety rust bucket by that time and I couldn't stand to be seen in it. I threw an absolute temper tantrum when I had to use it for prom! Early in my senior year I was driving home from a friend's house, a trip I had made hundred's of times. It was a 45 minute trip and required a ~30 mile trek on the highway. It was 5:00 in the afternoon, I wasn't any more sleep deprived than usual, I was singing to the radio and perfectly alert, and then....the next next thing I knew I was sliding around in the wide, grassy median, heading straight for the concrete supporting pillars of an overpass. I don't know how long I had been asleep(it was truly a sleep, not just nodding off for a moment), but when I woke up was I coming down from 80mph and all I knew was that I had drifted into the right lane and hit someone and that I was about to hit the overpass. I regained control and stopped just short of one of the pillars. I walked the couple hundred yards back to the other car. The car I hit was a brand new Audi that they had only had for six days...ouch. Their car's trunk was pretty well bashed in, while my front end was hardly damaged. The headlight had cracked, the bumper was sitting funny, and I had some scrapes but honestly the car was in pretty good shape. The headlight even worked still! I've seen worse damage done in parking lot fender benders. None of us were injured and they were extremely polite to me while the cops came and sorted everything. The insurance company ultimately totaled my car and we elected not to buy it back, but I drove it for almost two weeks before they settled everything and came for the car. I wasn't upset to be rid of it at the time, but I miss that wagon so much now. I wish I had appreciated it properly while I had it.

I replaced it with my current 2005 S60 2.5t and while I haven't had any major collisions in it, I did get caught in a flood last summer. I was on a dirt road (Actually, a sand road. Sand road sounds weird though, so dirt it is.) The car basically sank into the wet sand until it bottomed out and the water rose to the point where my fog lights were partially submerged. It took several hours (and a lot of help) to get out of there and I was terrified that something had been seriously damaged by the water but I never had a problem. Not lifesaving, perhaps, but a testament to Volvo quality nonetheless.

I hope to always be fortunate enough to keep at least one Volvo in my stable.:):thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
A bomb?!?! You seem to pass that story off as less significant than it actually is! Wow...

Glad to hear that Volvos have been keeping your family safe. Enjoy the S60!

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts
Wow....what a story! On all cars!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Holy geez a bomb!! Makes us wonder what line of work they were in ;) lol Just kiddin

Glad everything worked out for you! Enjoy your S60 :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
"Without going into too much detail, an individual planted a bomb in my mom's gas tank one night."

There is no such thing as TOO MUCH detail on a story like this - especially now that the story is 16 years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts