SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Would be interested to see how many of the Volvos in our section are leased and how many are owned(f

• Owned (Financed)

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • Leased

Votes: 4 12.5%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be interesting to see how many member here have owned(financed) cars vs leased cars. Would be great when you could let us know what car you have and why you chose to buy vs lease or vice versa.

A: Owned (financed)
B: Leased

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Leased.

Ability to jump to a newer car early and take advantage of Volvo's fairly poor residual estimates.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Financed.

I bought my 2019 S90 T5 Momentum because I got it for a crazy deal. (Demo with 200miles and MSRP 56k, I paid 33.500). I was well aware about the brake issues but also heard that other than brakes, those cars are bullet proof. Plan to keep it as long as possible.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Cash. Already sold the Grand Cherokee for a goodly sum so had the money (in a virtually zero interest money market account). I thought of it more of a keeper vehicle. The CLS I have is a play car and that is leased.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Cash. Already sold the Grand Cherokee for a goodly sum so had the money (in a virtually zero interest money market account). I thought of it more of a keeper vehicle. The CLS I have is a play car and that is leased.
The V90 is a play car for me.

The others are owned.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A) Own (finance)

I don't like playing the "Guess the mileage" game - I sometimes drive my car long distances for work / play
Plus I enjoy modifying things too much to lease, LOL

·
Registered
39 Posts
Owned.

I have no interest in trading out cars every few years. Plus, I tend to sink money on accessories (load bars, Stealth Hitch, etc.) that I don't want to have to re-do every few years, either. Generally, I buy cars new and then hang on to them for as long as possible. The car I traded in for my V90 CC was a 12.5 year-old MINI Cooper S that I bought new. I still miss it. But the Volvo is great and I plan to hang onto it for a decade or more.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great surprise so far: Majority of the cars here are not leased!! I really thought the graph would be exactly other way around, but we just started the poll, so wait and see. Happy to see that I am not alone. As already mentioned, I think Volvo still makes some of the best cars which with proper care may last for a very long time. As long as you know the few weaknesses (e.g. Brakes) you will eventually find your way around them and can enjoy your car for a very long time. Hope to hear more from other members here.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
V90 is leased and the XC90 is owned. My wife changes her mind on cars after almost 3 years and I'm a 7-9 year owner.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Owned, I bought it as a used vehicle with the intention of keeping it for a long time (7-9 years)...however, the Panamera Sport Turismo has me doubting my long-term plans. Last time I bought a new car was in 1999 (literally).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Owned, financing about half of the total purchase price. My last three cars have been one model year old CPO Volvos that were dealership or Volvo USA company cars. I've not found a better value for money proposition for any car I might be interested in having.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Own. We picked up a 2017 S90 for the wife (trading WAY up from her C30!) I'm giving Volvo a go with the whole CPO, protection plan, and prepaid maintenance this time. I have traditionally purchased gently used Volvos and then maintained them myself for many years of ownership (e.g. my daily driver is a 2007 S80 V8 Sport.) However, with a house, 4 cars and a sailboat to stay on top of, something had to give. I'm also anxious to see how the tech stack holds up; my S80's adaptive cruise, BLIS, etc... have been flawless thus far, but the S90 has 10x the features and a lot more software. I'll gladly pay my way out of the garage to get a little more quality time doing other things for a change.

·
Registered
165 Posts
2018 V90 Cross Country Ocean Race w/ polestar, blonde interior, B&W stereo...loaded except the rear child seat boosters...

Leased...3 year @15k miles/year...financing rate was too low to not use Volvo Financing $s...plan to buy-it outright when lease is complete...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Both our Volvos are owned, 2007 V70 2.5T and 2018 V90 T6 Inscription. I can’t afford buying a new car every 3 or 4 years. So, I do my research and buy what I like with an expectation of owning the vehicle for a minimum of 10 years, out to a maximum of 15 or so. At my age I expect we will keep the V90 until we can no longer drive. The V70 has a lot of good miles left in it, so don’t expect it to get replaced any time soon either.

We’ve never leased a vehicle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2018 V90 Cross Country Ocean Race. Thankfully received a much higher than expected payout from the insurance company for my totaled 2016 V60 Polestar, so put some money in the bank, paid for two thirds of the car, and financed the rest at 0.0% for 36 months. Bit of a no-brainer (which is great, because I am not particularly bright).

Note, my V90 was an OSD vehicle, and apparently leasing is not an option. Fine by me, but interestingly was a slight deterrent in moving the vehicle, per the dealer (to the underlying sentiment of your initial inquiry).

·
Registered
69 Posts
2018 V90 CC Ocean Race here as well. Purchased last month, paid half cash and financed the other half with 1.99%. Plan on keeping the car until the extended warranted expires in 8 years (purchased VIP to 10 years/100K mi), hopefully longer depending on how the car holds up once the girls are off to college.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I made the mistake of leasing a car once.

Never doing that again.

The allotted mileage is way too restrictive, and if you as much as curb a wheel you may have to pay extra.

All around it was a terrible experience. Never again.

These days I almost always buy CPO cars, 2-3 years old (probably coming off lease)

I guess if you have some sort of image consciousness emotional issues, and thus require the latest year model car every couple of years, AND you don't tend to drive many miles, it could make sense. Otherwise definitely not.

Add up your average commute for a weeks and figure out what it winds up being over the year. For me this was usually ~3,000 miles per year. Somehow the trips back and forth to the grocery store added up though, as I could never seem to get away with much less than 20k miles per year, which makes leasing almost impossible.

Better to buy it, drive it to the ground and then replace it. There is much more prestige in having a well maintained older high mileage car than there is in always having the latest thing. It shows you take care of your stuff!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Financed, I got a deal on a low mileage CPO With lots of equipment and by my projected calculations it should be less expensive than a lease on the lesser equipped models over a 4 year term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
There is much more prestige in having a well maintained older high mileage car than there is in always having the latest thing. It shows you take care of your stuff!
I do this with my older Volvos. I just like cool gadgets.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts