SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To keep it short, planning to buy an S90, but the additional length of the 2018+ model is a downside for me as we don't have anybody really tall in the family and interior space the "short" S90 is more than enough for us.

However buying first model-year cars usually means you'll have to fix a lot of their issues.
So all other factors like price and condition aside, is the 2020 S90 much more "reliable" and "glitch-free" than the 2017 model?
Did the engines get any enhancements as I know the 2016 VEA T5 was consuming oil.

And since I started this thread anyway, is the consumption of T6 a lot higher than the T5?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My understanding was that most of the SPA kinks that are going to get worked out were worked out with the 2016 XC90... I haven't of heard any big S90 2017-specific issues, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Fun fact though: The V90 (and CC) is shorter than the 2017 S90 if you're into wagons. For what it's worth, no oil consumption so far in my 2018 S90, but it also doesn't have a dipstick so I'm assuming the computer knows what it's talking about.

S90 2018+: 200 inches
S90 2017: 195 inches
V90: 194 inches
S60: 187 inches
V60: 187 inches
XC90: 194 inches

·
Registered
49 Posts
To keep it short, planning to buy an S90, but the additional length of the 2018+ model is a downside for me as we don't have anybody really tall in the family and interior space the "short" S90 is more than enough for us.

However buying first model-year cars usually means you'll have to fix a lot of their issues.
So all other factors like price and condition aside, is the 2020 S90 much more "reliable" and "glitch-free" than the 2017 model?
Did the engines get any enhancements as I know the 2016 VEA T5 was consuming oil.

And since I started this thread anyway, is the consumption of T6 a lot higher than the T5?

Thanks for reading!
One difference is Sensus. On the 2017 models it is a bit slow on startup. 2018 and later models have faster processors in them which solver the problem.

There were also issues with brake rotors warping. I got our 2017 used with 4K miles on it. All four rotors were replaced under warranty at that point.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts

Thanks for reading!
I believe the auto start/stop can be permanently deactivated with all volvo's from 2019 and on. Whereas this feature would need to be deactivated during each trip. If that matters to you.

If you're buying anything used, I highly recommend buying as a CPO.

I'm unsure any of the S90's had the oil consumption issue. But the 2017 XC90's beyond build week 22, or something like that, had the upgraded pistons/rings that corrected the issue. They use the same engines, so I imagine this is similar. 2018 and on will be fine for this.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was in the same position as the original poster a couple of months ago and I ended up purchasing a CPO 2017 S90 with 25K miles on it. The 2017 S90 is already a long car and I honestly didn't want it stretched any further like they have done in the 2018 and future years. I'm not really aware of anything significant that has been modified or upgraded since the 2017 model came out and I absolutely love my Volvo. As added insurance, I purchased a 10 year, 100,000 mile CPO warranty through Steingold Volvo. My CPO car originally went into service at the end of December 2017, and I don't put a lot of miles on it so it will be covered by the Volvo warranty through the end of 2027. Steingold's standard price for the VIP CPO warranty was way better than my local dealer offered and I also got $500 bucks off of that standard price by using the discount codes I found on swedespeed.com. If you want to do something similar just make sure that you purchase a Volvo CPO vehicle and then purchase the VIP CPO warranty from Steingold within 30 days of purchasing the vehicle. If you are outside of the 30 day window you can't buy the special CPO warranty and have to get a different Volvo VIP warranty which is a lot more expensive.

For the record, I don't normally purchase extended warranties on vehicles, but given the fact that 2017 was the first year of this vehicle, the fact that Consumer Reports and other don't rate the S90 as a very reliable vehicle, and the fact that this vehicle is loaded with complex electronic systems that could cost an arm and a leg if they fail, I decided to bite the bullet on the CPO warranty.

·
Registered
13,496 Posts
I thought it was midway through the 2016 model year that got the new ring design.

·
Registered
855 Posts
2019 and up faster sensus by 3 times compare to 2017 and perm shut down of start stop . I would take 2019 and up model any day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you absolutely sure about your information on the permanent shut down of the start/stop function and the Sensus performance information?

On my 2017 Volvo S90, I turned the Auto Start/Stop function off on the the first day I bought the car and I have never had to turn it off again. I have also heard complaints about the speed of the Sensus system in the 2017 S90, but I personally haven't experienced any real issues. When I start my car, it takes about 10 seconds for the system to boot up and for my USB memory stick to start playing music. After those 10 seconds, the system works perfectly and I don't experience any delays when moving through the system on the center console.

I'm like anyone else and would love to have a newer vehicle, but I got a great deal on my 2017 S90 and I would have had to pay at least an extra $10K to get a similar vehicle from the 2019 model year. I'd have to get a lot more than a speedier start-up from Sensus to justify spending an extra $10K on a vehicle.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I thought it was midway through the 2016 model year that got the new ring design.
I swear I read it somewhere here from @Tech that it was like the 22nd week for the 2017's. I could be wrong. Hopefully he can confirm.

edited
This was in regards to the sunroof seals being updated. Not the piston rings. I think the rings were in fact updated in 2016.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
855 Posts
Are you absolutely sure about your information on the permanent shut down of the start/stop function and the Sensus performance information?

On my 2017 Volvo S90, I turned the Auto Start/Stop function off on the the first day I bought the car and I have never had to turn it off again. I have also heard complaints about the speed of the Sensus system in the 2017 S90, but I personally haven't experienced any real issues. When I start my car, it takes about 10 seconds for the system to boot up and for my USB memory stick to start playing music. After those 10 seconds, the system works perfectly and I don't experience any delays when moving through the system on the center console.

I'm like anyone else and would love to have a newer vehicle, but I got a great deal on my 2017 S90 and I would have had to pay at least an extra $10K to get a similar vehicle from the 2019 model year. I'd have to get a lot more than a speedier start-up from Sensus to justify spending an extra $10K on a vehicle.
Unless someone used Vdash or something on your car every single 2017-2018 model doesnt have perm start stop shut down its always comes back on every time you start the car. only 2019 and up .

·
Registered
65 Posts
On my 2017 Volvo S90, I turned the Auto Start/Stop function off on the the first day I bought the car and I have never had to turn it off again.
The auto start/stop gets turned off when one of the batteries, not sure which one, isn't getting charged enough due to driving habits. Take a long trip someday and you'll find it's suddenly working.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everybody for the input.
Seems like I should start considering a newer V90CC (don't really like the regular v90 look), but I'm afraid it will be much less stable in turns... oh god why 5 inches make the life so hard

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks everybody for the input.
Seems like I should start considering a newer V90CC (don't really like the regular v90 look), but I'm afraid it will be much less stable in turns... oh god why 5 inches make the life so hard
Well, these aren't sport cars but the CC isn't unstable on turns, especially if you have the 4Cs option as it stiffens the suspension and only little lean under Dynamic/Polestar. But even in Eco, it is still stable in corners with greater leaning.

You should drive them and compare, you will be surprised how little difference the height affects the handling.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Well, these aren't sport cars but the CC isn't unstable on turns, especially if you have the 4Cs option as it stiffens the suspension and only little lean under Dynamic/Polestar. But even in Eco, it is still stable in corners with greater leaning.

You should drive them and compare, you will be surprised how little difference the height affects the handling.
it might not effect driving much but clearance for some people is important esp people like me that dont like SUVs. They not as practical as people think they are. Wagons a lot better. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
it might not effect driving much but clearance for some people is important esp people like me that dont like SUVs. They not as practical as people think they are. Wagons a lot better. :)
Considering he likes the looks of the CC better, my comment should be good news for him. I agree with you, wagons are better than an suv!

Sent from my motorola razr (2020) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pauls90
1 - 15 of 15 Posts