SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Recently purchased a 2010 s80 2.4d executive. Absolutely loving the car.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever added speakers to rear shelf or installed a subwoofer?.

I have the dynaudio system and its awesome but just wanted a little more from back and bass.

Looking at the rear deck there are cut outs in the frame which a set of 6x9 speakers would fit. Also a subwoofer would fit in trunk at the sides.

Anyone know best way to go about adding an amp?. Tap into speaker wires at amp and run them to 3 channel amp

Thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
Not sure how that would work since the Dynaudio has its own amp and uses Dolby Digital to process the sound. If you use another amp you may get a weird echo effect. Have you adjusted the equalizer and surround sound settings?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, yes I have set up all the settings on the equaliser and I am very happy with the sound. It was just to get a little more bass out of the system.

I was thinking about tapping into the front speaker hi level at the amp under the driver seat and running it to a 3 channel amp in the boot. Using it to power a set of 6x9s and 12 inch woofer. Not sure there is space for 12 inch woofer though unless I use the spare wheel location.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi, yes I have set up all the settings on the equaliser and I am very happy with the sound. It was just to get a little more bass out of the system.

I was thinking about tapping into the front speaker hi level at the amp under the driver seat and running it to a 3 channel amp in the boot. Using it to power a set of 6x9s and 12 inch woofer. Not sure there is space for 12 inch woofer though unless I use the spare wheel location.
We are on a similar journey although I want to replace all speakers in my S80. Here is what I have gathered so far. The factory head if you want to call it that sends signal through a most /fiber optic network to the amps under the seat. You could tap and do speaker level from there, just get the signal tested to make sure it is flat or unprocessed and doesn't need to be summed to get a full range. If you go this route, something like an Audio Control product will let you add an amp and sub.

I am looking at something like the Audison DMI. That processor may be more than you need. It is supposed to convert or work with the most network. I have been told a few other units, mobridge, helix most, and possible navtv will do this same thing and possible work. I am leaning toward the audioson unit as the installer pretty much said it will work no question. I will run a processor and amps after that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, been looking at a few processors. Alpine pxa-h700 or h800.

Also I found out that the volvo v70 and xc60 of the same era around 2008, 2009 actually have a factory subwoofer.

I was looking at pictures and was wondering if anyone had looked into installing one of these as the system will be the same so would maybe just need a software update from volvo?.

Maybe there is a harness that would be needed also. It goes in the boot under the floor in front of the spare wheel.

I dont know why volvo did not think to add a subwoofer. Also there is holes in the rear shelf which I'm sure Volvo could have added some bass speakers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi, been looking at a few processors. Alpine pxa-h700 or h800.

Also I found out that the volvo v70 and xc60 of the same era around 2008, 2009 actually have a factory subwoofer.

I was looking at pictures and was wondering if anyone had looked into installing one of these as the system will be the same so would maybe just need a software update from volvo?.

Maybe there is a harness that would be needed also. It goes in the boot under the floor in front of the spare wheel.

I dont know why volvo did not think to add a subwoofer. Also there is holes in the rear shelf which I'm sure Volvo could have added some bass speakers.
You can use any processor as long as you address how to get passed the fiber optic network. You could do speaker level at the factory amp, which is ok but not the best. You can look at some of the processors that I mentioned that will convert the signal from the fiber optic from the head unit to the amp. This is the route I am looking at since it would be a clear digital signal. From there you then would have a DSP like the Alpine or newer ones on the market. In my casual glance at the rear shelf, I dont see any provision for a free air sub. This is not to say, something custom couldnt be done. I am personally thinking of a small bandpass ported through the ski hole in the rear seat. A single 10" 4th order bandpass is more than enough for me. Benefit of using the Ski hole is less vibration.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The manual (at least for 2007) lists the subwoofer as an option for certain markets.

Can anyone post a diagram of a factory install?

Pictures would be great but so far I have seen any members that have a factory sub in a gen 2 S80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts