SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all,
Last night I run over a roe deer on the Motorway. Thanks God no personal injuries, I was travelling with all my family :(.
I was driving at 120km/h so the front part of my loved S80 is quite broken (it has to be replaced for sure). The reason why I´m contacting with all of you is because apart of the front side damages, the car is still alive, but the seat belts detonators got activated (all of them since all the family was using them) due to the impact.

The airbags were not activated, just the seat belts "explosives", so now all seat belts are useless.

Just to mention that the car switches on, also the engine (I get several errors on the display of course regarding airbags, light bulbs... 7 errors in total) switches on and the car moves as it used to be. So at first sight lets assume that there are not more collateral damages (crossing fingers).

May I ask you if any of you have experience this situation?. How expensive (more or less...) is to repair all the seat belts and the replacement of the plastic front cover? (are we talking about a few hundreds or... thousands of dollars/euros???). Replace the complete front side of the car sounds expensive to me too, but only the big front plastic and grills are damaged (how much aprox. can it be?).

THANKS A LOT for your support, any opinion about my post will be very welcome!.

Have a look to my car picture here:

https://ibb.co/tswCtQb

Chema38

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hopefully a tech will weigh in, but after fixing the safety/cosmetic bits it should certainly be salvageable--good luck and please keep us posted. Glad everyone is OK.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your comment Okidiver. I will keep you inform

·
Registered
798 Posts
Scary incident with whole family. Glad no one was hurt... well except the deer.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
You can probably purchase the passenger and rear seatbelts from a wrecked car. in the US erie vovo parts out Volvos. Check with them. You will probably need a new driver's belt unless the part numbers are the same for driver and passenger. The body parts can be purchased used.

Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all of you for your supporting comments.
The car is on his way to the official Volvo workshop. I will get the budget and let you know it. Depending of the total cost I will decide if repair it at Volvo or in any other non-official workshop (using second hand spare parts).

The car is from 2008, almost 200.000Km (125.000 miles), depending of the cost I´m considering to get a new car, but it will be hard to decide since my Volvo S80 has performed GREAT all this time, I still think it's a fantastic/safe/comfortable car. . Excepts the seat belts and the car front side...anything else still looks like new.

BR
Chema38

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks all of you for your supporting comments.
The car is on his way to the official Volvo workshop. I will get the budget and let you know it. Depending of the total cost I will decide if repair it at Volvo or in any other non-official workshop (using second hand spare parts).

The car is from 2008, almost 200.000Km (125.000 miles), depending of the cost I´m considering to get a new car, but it will be hard to decide since my Volvo S80 has performed GREAT all this time, I still think it's a fantastic/safe/comfortable car. . Excepts the seat belts and the car front side...anything else still looks like new.

BR
Chema38
Any updates to this project?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello all,
Yes... updated info:
My car is still in the workshop (I had the accident the 25th of may... this is a never ending story).
I have tried to move this issue ASAP, finally the following components need to be replaced:

1.- All front bumper, including front lights, fog lights etc (everything that is visible from the front side).
2.- 2 seat belts, since the detonators got activated due to the impact
3.- The airbag ECU (physically it´s perfect, but from a software point of view, it has detected an impact and volvo do not want to "reset" the unit).

In short:
1.-Everything regarding "plastics" (front bumper, grills, lights...) it´s going to be taken from donant S80 cars (it´s the cheapest solution and it doesn't affect to safety).
2.- Seat belts and ECU will be new from Volvo spare parts (it need to be new and reprogrammed, including the seat belts).

Unfortunately delivery time of Volvo spare parts is taking 1 month!!!. Volvo service is EXPENSIVE AND SLOW, I´m quite irritated about it.

Total cost to fix my car following using mentioned material and fixing my car in a non official Volvo workshop (much cheaper) is going to cost me 3.500€. tax. included.

I will keep you inform as soon as I get new info. Hopefully I will get my car back before August.
BR
Chema

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Are there any independent Volvo shops around you? They shouldn't have any issues resetting the airbag control unit. I had an 07 xc90 that had slide off the road and only had a few minor undercarriage issue that were fixed easily, but it was hard enough to trigger the seatbelt charges for a few of the seats. I was able to replace those with used parts reset the airbag ecu and had no problems with it. Sounds to me like they're trying to get more parts out of you. I would have them reset it honestly if they will, otherwise I'd try to find an indie shop. The seat belts don't need to be programmed as far as I know, only a new unit would be if you actually need one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts