SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Would like to purchased an S60R as my next vehicle, but folks have been telling me it might not be a good pick for our climate conditions. Connecticut, USA. His anyone driven an R in snow climate, am concerned about the possibity of future problems with Rims and Tires. As far as I know low profile tires and wide rims don't do well in snow and ice. Also potholes could be a problem. I am a careful driver, but I don't want to be surprised with a big bill for a new tire or rim. Have driven SUV's for the past 10 years, thus the logic of my question. Thanks for a grear forum...

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Re: Volvo S60R , Opinions on year round use, in snow area? (jack9139)

There are plenty of folks who drive their R's in the Northeast. The R comes from the factory with Summer tires only so you'll need to either buy a set of snow tires or a complete set of winter rims/tires for the R.

As far as I've heard, the R does a great job as long as you know the limits. You can't drive an R though 2 feet of snow. As long as you are careful with driving the R around, there shouldn't be any surprises.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Volvo S60R , Opinions on year round use, in snow area? (Volvo Grrrr)

Thanks for the information, if I plan on purchasing and keeping the car for years it would seem a second set the winter tires on rims would be the way to go. Are there special rims recommended for winter.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jack9139 »
Are there special rims recommended for winter.

Tire Rack has a few less expensive sets but you'll most likely need hub rings. I run 225/45/17 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's on 17" Pegs. You could also mount all seasons on 17" Pegs if you're not into switching. That will give you a bit more sidewall year round.

·
Registered
14,438 Posts

The R is a great year round car, especially in winter with awd, dstc, heated seats, etc.

Just need to realize that ground clearance will be much less than what you are used to with a suv and you need to be careful about the wheels because even 17's will not put up with a lot of pothole abuse. I have had very good luck with my 17's and 18's in nearly two years of ownership- no bent rims or blowouts. Others have not been so lucky.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Great information. 17s, w/all season tires seems to be the way to go. I think I would also go w/out the spoiler package. Everyone I' ve seen is in need of repair. Too low for real driving. OK if you drive in a straight line on the highway under ideal conditions.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

Aside form the ground clearence issue. Get a set of plain old steel rims for it for winter and snow tires. In CONN close to where I lived in NJ it is the best way to go. Sice you have always driven SUV you will not be happy with anything other then this route. And very UNHAPPY for sure the first pothole/curb you (and you WILL, trust me) hit in CONN/NY/NJ/MA/PA. I do NOT miss that ever present possiblity at all now in SC.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Volvo S60R , Opinions on year round use, in snow area? (Nato740)

Quote, originally posted by Nato740 »
Aside form the ground clearence issue. Get a set of plain old steel rims for it for winter and snow tires. In CONN close to where I lived in NJ it is the best way to go.

Won't happen since you can't clear the Brembo calipers or the large rotors. Nothing smaller than 17" will do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts