SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was racing at a 20mph roll went to 6,300 rps when attempt to shift I missed, obiously I let the car go down a few thousands rps when attempt to shift into 2nd gear again and it would engage but it would act as neutral. at this point I was driving very slow so engaged 3rd gear and moved home. when at stops or red lights, the car when shifted to first it would engage but it acts like neutral as well... I had to drive the car home all the way in 3rd gear.

I paid a volvo mechanic that I know to take a quick look at the car looking for an easy fix, he did the following:

1- he look to see if there were any leaks on the transmission and it was NOT leaking
2- he removed the stick shift cover and checked for anything loose (there was NOTHING loose)
3-he removed the air intake system and check if there was anything loose on top of the transmission (everything was working fine) I was in the cabin engaging the gears and he was observing the behavior in front of the hood looking at top of transmission.

Notes:

1-the car has a 3000 miles clutch (spec stage 3+ $999.00
2-te car has a 3000 miles spec light weight flywheel $599.00
3-the car has a 300 slave cylinder $135.00

the only problem is 1st and 2nd gear. every other gear works like a charm.

any suggestions please???

new trany from volvo special order $5,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Help, anyone?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
That sucks man I have the same setup and am curious on the out come. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Shift cable may have slipped off?

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
The M66 is pretty robust, so I do not think you shucked gear teeth. If so the transmission would lock up. There is a common synchro assembly for 1/2 but it could not implod without you knowing it.

My bet is on the shift cable, at the transmission as AthruC suggests. I know you stated you had someone looking at the top of the gear box but I would recheck this area first.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If nothing external like linkage then possibly a broken roll pin on the 1-2 fork?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
this guy I hired to do a quick diagnosis worked for volvo before and he assumed he has some experience with these R. He has some exp im just not sure if he looked at this the right way, he was acting kind of confuse which leaves me in doubt. he said to my he will flush the trany and if metal things comes out of it the trany needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If nothing external like linkage then possibly a broken roll pin on the 1-2 fork?
if this is the case, I have to buy a new trany?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Time consuming, but I would thing a new fork/rod assembly could be ordered if the rolled pin cannot be replaced or the fork itself is broken.

I found a pic of m56 parts so you can get an idea. The bronze colored parts are the forks and you can see how they are secured to the shaft by those little black pins. If the pin breaks I would think the shaft will move into the 1st/2nd positions and the fork will remain stationary. Don't quote me on this, I haven't been in one of these transmissions... Yet...

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have the exact same problem! Same setup too. I'm sorry I can't shed light on it since I've not had the opportunity to investigate. My guess is also on the 1/2 shift fork. My trans is also remaining completely silent regardless of what you try to do to it. Is yours the same?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I have the exact same problem! Same setup too. I'm sorry I can't shed light on it since I've not had the opportunity to investigate. My guess is also on the 1/2 shift fork. My trans is also remaining completely silent regardless of what you try to do to it. Is yours the same?
I'm starting to get worried about my setup. Anyone else running this with the same problems or does anyone else know if this is common? Also Apache when did your car start acting up did you miss a shift also?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Just to be clear you were trying to shift from first to second when this happend?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yes, I was trying to shift from 1st to 2nd gear when this happened.

I did something else today as part of the diagnosis. the mechanic drained the transmission fluid and there were NO METAL things in it, it was totally clean.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@ the apache. only first and 2nd gear are silent every other gear works good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just an advise with those with the same setup, do not atempt rolling at 20mph, make your race rolling at 40mph or from the whole in the mean while we resolve this

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Keep us in the loop. I'm gunna baby my car or try to till u guys figure this out I don't want to be in the same boat.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
You dont need to buy new trans(IF its needed), you can find used parts on car-parts.com or call Erie VoVo. You could also try to get in touch with ChilledMan on these forums.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
those ppl are from car-parts.com?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
When this happend were you guys power shifting? I mean like dont take ur foot off the gas push in clutch change gear and dump it with it floored? thanks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts