SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally race a Merkur XR4Ti in D Street Prepared. In fact, here's me driving one now:

However, this year at Nationals, I drove a stock class car - an H Stock MINI Cooper:

Well, it turns out that driving a stock class car was pretty fun, and seeing as I've been thinking of picking up a new daily driver recently, I figured that I would start driving something that I could use as a backup to my autocrosser. Earlier this season an engine rebuild took a little longer than anticipated and I ended up having to scrounge up another ride...which I wouldn't have needed to do if I had two racey cars in my stable. Anyway, as you can tell from the fact that I race an XR4Ti, I don't exactly choose normal cars to drive. Rather than picking up something obvious like a WRX or a 3-series BMW, I thumbed through the rule book, and the a G Stock Volvo S60 R seems to be sufficiently unusual for autocrossing.

So let's chat! The topic of conversation shall involve exactly which S60 R you would pick if you wanted to be as fast as possible. Now, I'm not an S60 R guru (a nOOb, actually), so shower me with your knowledge. Pretty much any car is faster without a sun roof/moon roof. Are there S60 Rs out there with solid roofs? Do you think the cloth or leather interior is lighter? Would a 2004 be faster than a 2007 for some reason? Which options would you demand or avoid to go faster? Generally, you want the car to be as de-optioned as possible to keep weight down. What do you think is the fastest-optioned S60 R?

Though the S60 R sounds exciting, the 4C suspension scares me a little. Despite driving in "Stock" class, you can pretty much use any shock or strut. That basically means that everyone swaps in adjustable shocks. Now, I've made my own strut housings for Bilstein inserts before on the lathe, so I don't fear availability issues, but I cannot swap springs by rule. Since this means that I basically cannot swap out the 4C shocks (or else I'm forced to race on known weak springs), that may be a big issue. Anyway, I'm at least aware of this already. Are there any other gotchas?

Grayson

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Sent you a PM. In short you don't want to autocross an R.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You've done your homework! I am sure a lot of the others will appreciate it :)

Now, the S60R may be unusual in autocross, but not without reason. It is simply not a very fast car.

First of all, the AWD bogs you way down.

Secondly, if you take a turn hard under throttle, you will probably break your angle-gear which means you are now racing an FWD car. At this point, you may as well get a T5, I suppose.

Thirdly, It is a heavy car that is more GT than autocross, which I believe calls for low-speed turns. But hey, at least the brakes are good.

Fourthly, the suspension may not be to your liking. There are aftermarket struts for the R, but I do not know if they can fit the original spring.

Base model R's were sold but they are few and far, far between. I doubt you will find one anytime soon without weight-adding options such as the moonroof. Also, they only came with the leather interior, so get used to that (It is worth it, trust me.)

This is my very underinformed opinion. There are a few members here who have autocrossed the R, so hopefully they can chime in.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have autocrossed my VR at 2 events. There is two negative things with theese cars.

To heavy and needs more torque to the rear wheels. Evolve tried some testing with haldex and it changed the cars behavior totally. But didnt go longer than testing.. To bad.

But it´s fun anyway, my mods is basically only TME springs and ipd sways. And som bushings and stuff, very hard car to drive at small autocross. To much understeer.

I managed to drive 0.5 seconds slower than a Focus RS, he had toyo r888. I ran on street tires(hankook ventus evo 1).

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I dont think I've seen an R with a solid roof and low on options, I think the R is generally most optioned out.

Maybe a K24 (2005+ iirc) manual trans S60 T5 (fwd) could maybe found lower on options and no moon/sunroof. You would lose the AWD weight (good) but lose like 30-40 HP...which might almost even out. That or maybe an older 850r or T5, or Gen 1 V70R.

Doing a "fast" stock R or T5 Volvo that is lower on weight stock and options doesn't really scream a S60R to me. Unless you take out all those weight loss and option concerns the R could fit the bill. specially with the 300hp and Brembos.

I'm no expert but that's my two cents.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great tips guys! Way back in the day I used to race a G Stock 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, and it performed quite well. The S60 R is 300lb heavier, but it has 50% more power and torque, so it seemed like I should be able to make it work on paper. I guess it's not good news that the angle gear is apparently made out of that same paper!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Angle gear is not so weak that everybody say.. With a fresh collar sleeve thats nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
No heat soak. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the angle gear doesn't scare me nearly as much as not being able to upgrade the dampers, so it's not a deal breaker. It would be cool if I could convince a fellow owner around Cincinnati to head out for a day of fun at a local autocross, and we can have a peek at what the car can do. People said you couldn't win a National Championship with a Merkur, but my co-driver did, but that doesn't necessarily mean I want to go rogue with every racing effort.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ok, so I'm a 930 pt autocrosser in Colorado- you know what that means Grayson.

Having autocrossed an 06, I can list the reasons that it doesn't *really* work:

4C control means that within the rules you can't actually change the dampers. Advanced SHOULD work pretty well though, even in comparison to a set of Koni's or the like.

Gearing- you're out of boost so much that it's hard to get speed out of the car

Handling balance- ok, so now you can do just a rear sway bar. This may actually fix the car's problems at lower speeds, but add more problems at high speeds. The AWD? Yeah, driving dynamics-wise it functions like a particularly grippy FWD.

Tires- so, you can use lightweight 17's, but the fenderwell size limits you to 245's at the most, not nearly as big as some other GS cars.

Clutch/AWD- you're going to be rebuilding the AWD more than once a season if you choose to launch the car.

If I had to pick, I'd say pick an 04 Manual as those seemed to be a tad bit lighter, but if I had to pick any GS car, I'd just grab a 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-spec (if that's still GS)

Also, coolest DSP car I've ever seen.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I concur with all comments above, don't go cone dodging with an R, take it to a real track instead, you will have a lot more fun

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Agree with what others have said as well as it is too heavy of a car, turning radius sucks and I know with the club I autocross with their courses are more technical then wide open my R would have difficulty making some of the turns. I suppose it depends on your goals...if you want to be nationally competitive forget the R if you want to do it to compete and have fun that's different.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Here's what you need for that parking lot madness:
OMG is that yours?

I'd love to have one of those. Trade my R for one even. God I hope it didn't hear that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
OMG is that yours?

I'd love to have one of those. Trade my R for one even. God I hope it didn't hear that.
Wish it was. I remember seeing one at an autocross event years ago, just killed all the other's times!
I know someone who would sell me theirs, now you got me thinking.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright, so I guess I can summarize things in this manner - purchase an S60 R to get back and forth to work, and grab a Europa for autocrossing when I'm wrenching on the DSP XR4Ti. Sounds like a plan! :D

I remember playing Gran Turismo 2 on the Playstation years ago, and I would frequently select the Europa as my car, and then go run Grindelwald. I wouldn't mind burning a chunk of real life doing that. The obnoxious styling of the Europa is right up my alley.

I appreciate the insight everyone. It does sound like the S60 R isn't quite going to fulfill my bright idea of owning an Eclipse GSX on steroids. Naturally, I'm still interested in seeing what one could do, so perhaps I'll encourage local owners to attend a local event with some personal instruction!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Alright, so I guess I can summarize things in this manner - purchase an S60 R to get back and forth to work, and grab a Europa for autocrossing when I'm wrenching on the DSP XR4Ti. Sounds like a plan! :D

I remember playing Gran Turismo 2 on the Playstation years ago, and I would frequently select the Europa as my car, and then go run Grindelwald. I wouldn't mind burning a chunk of real life doing that. The obnoxious styling of the Europa is right up my alley.

I appreciate the insight everyone. It does sound like the S60 R isn't quite going to fulfill my bright idea of owning an Eclipse GSX on steroids. Naturally, I'm still interested in seeing what one could do, so perhaps I'll encourage local owners to attend a local event with some personal instruction!
The R is really a great GT car in every sense. So it needs room to stretch its legs. Give it some room, like a full size track, and it becomes venerable. I really wasn't comfortable with my R testing it around parking lots. But once I got it out on a track, I really changed my mind about it. It does have some issues that need to be addressed. But once addressed the R becomes quite capable. You can put the heat on most cars on the track. And NOBODY can out brake you diving into a corner. Not even Vettes.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts