SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Volvo S60 Polestar to premiere on June 16th!!!

Guys guys guys!!! Have you seen Volvo Polestar Racing's new video on Youtube, in prelude to the Gothenburg race in the Swedish Touring Car Championship? At 1:06 the Director of Polestar says the race will be the stage for the world premiere of the new Volvo S60 Polestar! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

Here's a screenshot:

And the full video:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They won't keep churning out these prototypes just for the heck of it. Surely at some point it will lead to a production car.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
They won't keep churning out these prototypes just for the heck of it. Surely at some point it will lead to a production car.
True, but Volvo has a habit of denying the US of recent offerings- the new V60, the new V40. The Polestar C30 was a tease as well. I'm not getting my hopes up again.

My prediction?
It will be another concept vehicle like the Polestar C30- fantastic, but destined to be a unicorn. I expect the most we can get out of this is Volvo approved Polestar mods- exhaust, body kit, wheels, badge, all at ridiculous prices.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Administrator
55,951 Posts
Volvo Car UK Ltd. press release:

Volvo S60 Polestar to be shown at the next Swedish TTA Race in Gothenburg

Polestar will present a performance concept road car, based on the Volvo S60 platform, at the next round of the Swedish TTA - Racing Elite League. Officially named Volvo S60 Polestar, it will be shown on 16th June at the third round of the new racing series, held at Polestar's home track in downtown Gothenburg, Sweden.

"The performance concept road-car is a spin-off of our work evaluating and developing the S60 for racing." says Polestar Marketing Director Hans Bååth.

When the Volvo C30 Polestar was presented in 2010, it gained a massive global interest and Polestar was flooded with requests from people interested in buying the car. The first Polestar concept-car was however not designed with production in mind and, at the time, Polestar was also in the midst of campaigning the Volvo C30 WTCC in the FIA World Touring Car Championship. The first S60 Polestar is built for one of the most eager bidders for the original C30 Polestar.

"Whether there will be more cars built is an open question. First of all we want to get feedback on this first prototype." Bååth continues.

In 2011, Volvo decided to switch its race-car entry from the C30 to the S60 model. Polestar then started an intense research and evaluation-program to collect and compile vehicle data from the S60 platform. The final decision on what racing class to enter was yet to be taken and Polestar needed to learn as much as possible about the S60's built-in characteristics.

Jan Andersson, responsible for complete vehicle development at Polestar explains: "What we found was another very strong Volvo with great potential for motorsport applications and also an almost ideal platform for a road-going performance car. Volvo's engineers are known around the world for their achievements in car and traffic safety. What is less widely understood is that strong and safe cars also make great platforms for motorsport and performance."

Polestar has co-operated with Volvo since 1996 and has to date successfully raced five different Volvo models starting with the Volvo 850. Volvo bodies are strong and solid designs, built to withstand extreme forces straight from the factory which make them ideal for building race cars. While in the S60 TTA car, almost every single part is designed and manufactured for racing purposes only, the Volvo S60 Polestar is to a great extent based on standard Volvo S60 T6 components.

Derek Crabb, Motorsport Director at Volvo Cars: "The car we present is yet another result of our close co-operation where Polestar's motorsport and performance experience is combined with Volvo's in-depth knowledge about the car and its technology."

Exact specifications of the car will be revealed at the official launch at the Gothenburg City Arena.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Common sense would dictate that is true, and I hope it is!
Mannnn June and July are going to be two of the most amazing months ever! (I hope).

A little list of things to come:D:D:D:D

June 15 That's my boy Movie
June 16 New Polestar S60 Revealed
June 22 UFC Maynard vs Guida
June 29 Ted The Movie
July 4 4th of July at VA beach
July 7 UFC Silva vs Sonnen II(epic)
July 7-9 Las Vegas
July 20 Batman The Dark Night Rises

I am amped. Completely amped about these events.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I can't help but get my hopes up this car gets made. If not, this is a worse tease than the S60 T-5R they april fooled us on. If this car becomes a reality, I would trade my C30 in for it, with an exception. If it had the same transmission as the current S60, not getting it. I'm done barking up the must have a manual tree, but I've driven the new S60 and the auto in that was just too much of a turnoff.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I can't help but get my hopes up this car gets made. If not, this is a worse tease than the S60 T-5R they april fooled us on. If this car becomes a reality, I would trade my C30 in for it, with an exception. If it had the same transmission as the current S60, not getting it. I'm done barking up the must have a manual tree, but I've driven the new S60 and the auto in that was just too much of a turnoff.

I won't believe it until I see one. In the showroom. And I am sitting in it. Right after I pop to hood to really see if it is real and not a S60 with a polestar badge and engine tuning.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I won't believe it until I see one. In the showroom. And I am sitting in it. Right after I pop to hood to really see if it is real and not a S60 with a polestar badge and engine tuning.
*sigh* I feel like you just accurately predicted the future. As some one else already posted, it will.probably be a tease car and after a few years will just be some dealer option add ons.

Wonder if they'd be willing to do like the K-Pax GT C30, where you can special order it and the dealer bolts everything on handing it over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts