SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've never owned a luxury car before I bought my first used Volvo back in 2012, the 2004 S80 with the 2.5T engine and Haldex AWD, silver on black...very limo-like. From then on it's history. I'm just curious as to the experiences of other members on this board with other luxury brands. My brother just treated himself with a 2016 AUDI 2.0T A5 I think. After taking that out on a test drive I was reminded of my VWs of the past. Would also like to hear various stories on what some may have observed or discovered with haldex versus quattro versus SH-AWD versus 4matic. Not sure what Lexus calls their AWD. BMWs of course is X-drive.

My decision to buy a VOLVO back in 2012 was based on perception it would last longer. Didn't care so much about performance or awd capability, just wanted longevity. I ended up trading the S80 due to its dated look and lack of technology but do miss the sound of its doors and its awd. Since then I also bought two additional Volvos, my current 2012 S60 T5 FWD which was the wife's and I have repossessed, and a used family hauler almost 3 years ago...a 2013 XC90 as the weekend warrior/blizzard 3 row kidmobile. The XC90 has been my most reliable with the 3.2 V6 which gets a respectable 23 mpgs if light on the gas on the highway driving pulling 450-480 tanks on a 21 gallon tank. Like to call it the Swedish brickhouse. I've always liked the presentation made by this car reviewer of the old body XC90 on this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qJ-ZvFpJyI&t=156s

Anybody with any thoughts as to their current Volvo versus their previous ones ? And what about the new ones..they are sure a rare sighting as most seem to go for a Benz or an Audi, Lexus or Acura due to better perception or car reviews from Consumer Reports, Road & Track and Motor Trend..boy it's been a while since I read those magazines with the comparison reviews.

Please share any Youtube reviews or internet articles you may have viewed, read or experienced firsthand. Thanks

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I had a 2002 A4 back around 2005 (so newish at the time) and sold it for a V50 - we got a dog and needed the space. I remember feeling so disappointed in the interior of the Volvo when compared to the A4. Even my 2013 C30 PLE felt a bit cheaper compared to the '02! I haven't sat in or driven anything else recently, so I can't compare them to my S60, but a part of me does long to get back into an Audi.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took an A4 out on a test drive around the time we bought our S60. We liked the S60s seats better but I liked the Quattro handling and overall sportier nature more than my S60. That A4 took turns amazingly and felt so planted, I think it was either a 2009 or 10 can’t recall. My brother’s midlife crisis 2016 Audi convertible is off the hook. I drove it around some winding roads in the country and felt giddy. I too hope to someday down the road check out Audi.

Right now our XC90 is getting a lot of work on long weekends and we like the space such as the V50 provided for you. I will say that Volvo does wagons great so a used older v70 may be a choice down the road.

Thanks for the reply, I hope your dog is doing ok.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
We have a 2011 328Xi in the household. Much better ride and handling than the S60. Volvo is more spacious and has better seats and better tech. BMW has a better quality interior materials that feel more solid and better put together.
Newer BMWs I've driven as loaners don't feel as special.
A friend has a 2018 MB GLC 300 and the interior is very nice as well as the ride. The 4-cylinder engine is rough sounding on the outside but from inside the car feels more like a 6-cylinder.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've always felt like Volvo was more "premium" than "luxury," while Audi, BMW, and MB play in the luxury space. It seems that they are focusing on luxury only in recent years.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I too like the new GLC sporte ute. The Q5 is very appealing too. The dimensions on both of those are nice and compact on outside yet roomy and luxurious on inside. The XC60 in an R version looks awesome too.

BMWs always seem to get the bad rap as the break my wallet ride but those 3 series sedans are sports car material that offer spirited driving excitement. I know the limitations of my S60 T5 FWDer so I don't overdo it, but have thought of getting the swaybar and perhaps upgrading the suspension. I'm sure the Polestar S60 is a totally different animal.

But I anticipate my next ride to be a sporty wagon or convertible. Have never felt comfortable with high ride height.

·
Registered
33 Posts
new to Volvo here. i have owned: BMW, Lexus as my only "premium" cars

By far IMO... BMW is the best overall car. best driving dynamics and best seating position. 328/335. I did not have any major issues with out of pocket repairs and only had one vanos repair covered under warranty. People complain about the maintenance costs, but it's not really that bad and the driving experience if you're into that outweighs. on a 335.
Lexus. It's japanese. no real sporty feel, but quality and longevity is great. Owned a 2006 IS350 when it came out. best customer service at the dealership. No big repair costs during ownership

have not owned Audi, but have heard many crazy stories from failing transmissions to electronic problems. have owned many VW's though. tuner cars and loved them. cheap to run and many tuning options were available.
have not owned a Merc, but a customer of mine went from a C class to a Volvo s60 due to $300/minimum dealership visits... on a C class.

Currently own a 2016 s60. not a bad car so far, but let's see how the next few years go. Not a big fan of many things on this car, but solid ride.
Had a 2019 s60 loaner and it was beautiful.

i like the s60 because it is more rare than the others and wanted to try this brand. I would most definitely get into the newer models on the next purchase!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
I've never owned a luxury car before I bought my first used Volvo back in 2012, the 2004 S80 with the 2.5T engine and Haldex AWD, silver on black...very limo-like. From then on it's history. I'm just curious as to the experiences of other members on this board with other luxury brands. My brother just treated himself with a 2016 AUDI 2.0T A5 I think. After taking that out on a test drive I was reminded of my VWs of the past. Would also like to hear various stories on what some may have observed or discovered with haldex versus quattro versus SH-AWD versus 4matic. Not sure what Lexus calls their AWD. BMWs of course is X-drive.

My decision to buy a VOLVO back in 2012 was based on perception it would last longer. Didn't care so much about performance or awd capability, just wanted longevity. I ended up trading the S80 due to its dated look and lack of technology but do miss the sound of its doors and its awd. Since then I also bought two additional Volvos, my current 2012 S60 T5 FWD which was the wife's and I have repossessed, and a used family hauler almost 3 years ago...a 2013 XC90 as the weekend warrior/blizzard 3 row kidmobile. The XC90 has been my most reliable with the 3.2 V6 which gets a respectable 23 mpgs if light on the gas on the highway driving pulling 450-480 tanks on a 21 gallon tank. Like to call it the Swedish brickhouse. I've always liked the presentation made by this car reviewer of the old body XC90 on this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qJ-ZvFpJyI&t=156s

Anybody with any thoughts as to their current Volvo versus their previous ones ? And what about the new ones..they are sure a rare sighting as most seem to go for a Benz or an Audi, Lexus or Acura due to better perception or car reviews from Consumer Reports, Road & Track and Motor Trend..boy it's been a while since I read those magazines with the comparison reviews.

Please share any Youtube reviews or internet articles you may have viewed, read or experienced firsthand. Thanks
Hands down. The 2019 S60 I drove as a loaner blows away the competition. However, I really did like the Mazda 6 Rental Car. Seats were super cushy and liked tech. My 2015.5 S60 FWD does pretty good. Use Nokians in winter. If I had it all to do, I'd probably gone AWD. Gives a more weightier and planted feel. Course, at the expense of some fuel economy. Nokians on the FWD do handle about 80% of situations without complaint. But it'd be nice to have AWD if needed.

Fyi: 2019 redesign definitely makes S60 feel very upscale and car handled beautifully. I had a t6 awd loaner.

If I was in the market for a car, 2019 S60 would be top contender.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i've never owned a merc or a bmw. i did own an audi a4 quattro years ago. the sales guy took us out on a deserted curvy road on a drizzly day and scared me to death, but certainly made me appreciate the quattro system. i never had a problem with the car, but i never had to worry about the engine being too much for the handling. i've had a couple of volvo wagons v70 and xc7o and then a 13 t5 fwd s60. i really liked that car, but one day i saw the exact color and model, except in an r design t6 awd. i love this car! it handles well, it's motor is strong and it feels as if it can go 250k miles! as impressive as the new ones are with all their electronics and engine enhancements, i will stay totally satisfied with my 13!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Volvo is the only luxury car I've ever owned - I did get an XC70 as a rental one time about ten years ago in England as a "free" upgrade from the little Merc I had asked for that wasn't available - would have been a good deal if they'd paid me for the extra gas I used on that trip as a result of it... I got to throw a 3 series around an improvised mini cone track in a parking lot about 20 years ago on a BMW demo day which was a lot of fun, and I test drove a 7 series the same day... which was gorgeous but never going to fit my wallet...

Never owned or driven an Audi.

I finally did get to drive a Mercedes a couple of years ago, again in England, by which time I owned my C70... was a C300 Diesel and to be honest I was disappointed... partly by the performance, partly by the lack of bells and whistles, was a fairly humble config as a rental, manual seats for goodness sake :\ - although I was impressed with the fuel consumption, and grateful because 1,000+ miles at British gas prices is scarey. I was so happy to get back in my C70 after that, and these days I prefer driving my S60 even more than the C70, except for the lack of headroom ;)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hands down. The 2019 S60 I drove as a loaner blows away the competition. However, I really did like the Mazda 6 Rental Car. Seats were super cushy and liked tech. My 2015.5 S60 FWD does pretty good. Use Nokians in winter. If I had it all to do, I'd probably gone AWD. Gives a more weightier and planted feel. Course, at the expense of some fuel economy. Nokians on the FWD do handle about 80% of situations without complaint. But it'd be nice to have AWD if needed.

Fyi: 2019 redesign definitely makes S60 feel very upscale and car handled beautifully. I had a t6 awd loaner.

If I was in the market for a car, 2019 S60 would be top contender.
Without a doubt new for 19 S60 is flashy and cocky..the car has balls. I would never get first model redesign though. I struck out twice in the past gambling on first year redesigns. Best to wait it out a few years and let the first few brave ones work out the glitches.

Nice...nice...what a ride they gave you....the 19 with the V6 and awd must be off the hook. I personally like the styling on new S60 but it's a wallet breaker and way off my budget. In 5 years I could see myself getting a 2020 or 2021 S60..when the price goes down and they're in the certified lot fleet.

How was the new S60 ? Tech must be crazy...ACC is the big thing..that's semi-autonoumous driving...boy don't know if I could trust that.

Thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Without a doubt new for 19 S60 is flashy and cocky..the car has balls. I would never get first model redesign though. I struck out twice in the past gambling on first year redesigns. Best to wait it out a few years and let the first few brave ones work out the glitches.

Nice...nice...what a ride they gave you....the 19 with the V6 and awd must be off the hook. I personally like the styling on new S60 but it's a wallet breaker and way off my budget. In 5 years I could see myself getting a 2020 or 2021 S60..when the price goes down and they're in the certified lot fleet.

How was the new S60 ? Tech must be crazy...ACC is the big thing..that's semi-autonoumous driving...boy don't know if I could trust that.

Thanks for your thoughts
Interior was gorgeous on the T6 AWD S60. As was handling. Only add on the 2019 S60 had was BLIS and Lane Departure / Warning. I didn't really car for that feature what so ever. Felt too aggressive in my opinion.

I've used ACC on the Mazda 6 rental and liked it. My current 15.5 doesn't have that feature. As I only got BLIS, Convenience, and heated seats. Platinum I was gearing for sold few hrs before I pulled trigger and needed a ride. So I settled on the one I got. Which has worked out fine since their screw up gave me the Prepaid maintenance + wear included in price.

2019 S60 way to pricey for me, too. And early adopter fee isn't always the best choice, since all new models have kinks and bugs that get hammered out over time.

My CPO runs for another 3 yrs. Probably have it long after that, too.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lane departure warning sounds like it’s too intrusive on the driving experience. Trusting ACC is probably acquired over time but I still am not buying into semi-autonomous driving. A human being can make mistakes behind the wheel and it is a great feature to have if sleepy and just kick back and relax, but if I’m tired I don’t drive.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
new to Volvo here. i have owned: BMW, Lexus as my only "premium" cars

By far IMO... BMW is the best overall car. best driving dynamics and best seating position. 328/335. I did not have any major issues with out of pocket repairs and only had one vanos repair covered under warranty. People complain about the maintenance costs, but it's not really that bad and the driving experience if you're into that outweighs.
What til you get a $1500 bill for a sunroof motor of all things! But all in all our 535 is one nice car! It replaced a Lexus IS250 what was dependable until the misfires caused by DI dirty valves. But Lexus stepped up and fix that problem for free out of warranty.

Lane departure warning sounds like it’s too intrusive on the driving experience.
I had a 2019 S60 loaner recently. It was impressive! I didn't have it long enough to play with everything but I did find the blinking speed limit indicator very annoying! 1 MPH over and it starts nagging! Hopefully there will be a way to adjust that or turn it off. I like knowing the speed limits at any given time but don't need blinking lights on the dash.

·
Registered
696 Posts
...snip...
I had a 2019 S60 loaner recently. It was impressive! I didn't have it long enough to play with everything but I did find the blinking speed limit indicator very annoying! 1 MPH over and it starts nagging! Hopefully there will be a way to adjust that or turn it off. I like knowing the speed limits at any given time but don't need blinking lights on the dash.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. We drove a couple of new XC60s last week and noticed the blinking speed limit indicator. That's an unwelcome, nanny-state departure from the steady, though often incorrect display* in our '16 V60CC. At least we can disable the speed sign recognition. Our CX-5 had the same annoying display and there was no way to turn it off. In an ideal world, the driver would be able to adjust the point at which the warning occurs... speed limit + x MPH/KMh., for example.

* Our car has moisture in the windshield camera lens area which contributes to the speed sign display errors and also seems to reduce the effectiveness of the Adaptive Cruise Control. This has occurred between every 10k service interval from new. I need to learn how to access this area so I can clean it myself between services.

·
Registered
721 Posts
In an ideal world, the driver would be able to adjust the point at which the warning occurs... speed limit + X MPH.
On my motorcycle's GPS (TomTom) it just turns the speed limit sign red on the GPS display if you're more than 5 mph over. To me that strikes the proper balance. Shame that Volvo doesn't use that method.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My friend still has his 1997 BMW 528i RWD car and has never had any major issues. Straight 6 and feels more solid than today’s 5 series cars. I joke with him but he’ll never sell it. They sure don’t make em like that anymore. No AC but he hooked up a fan to the lighter. Engine runs like a dream and chassis feels like it’s bulletproof.

Older brother with the big family just donated his 2001 MB 4matic wagon with over 200k and still on the original timing belt...that’s MB for you. The back bench faced the windshield so the kids loved it. Wish the newer wagons had that back bench but they either did away with it for safety reasons or to just try and sell more SUVs.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Speaking of old MBs, I had a 1993 300TE wagon 4-matic. These things (W124) were built like tanks and it drive like one. The straight 6 was so smooth. the 4-speed auto could have used at least one more gear.
The interior was so classy and solid it felt like it was carved from one piece of stone. It had one one of those rear facing 3rd row seats and tons of cargo room.
Only had 80K miles or so when I sold it in 2012 after buying the S60. At that point it was a second car and it sat outside so I was not driving it much. It was not good on gas either.
No one makes cars solid as that anymore; not feasible. That thing stickered at $63K back then.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Older brother with the big family just donated his 2001 MB 4matic wagon with over 200k and still on the original timing belt...that’s MB for you.
No. That's a timing chain for you. Both the E320 and E430 models used timing chains in 2001.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had a 2019 S60 loaner recently. It was impressive! I didn't have it long enough to play with everything but I did find the blinking speed limit indicator very annoying! 1 MPH over and it starts nagging! Hopefully there will be a way to adjust that or turn it off. I like knowing the speed limits at any given time but don't need blinking lights on the dash.
In an ideal world, the driver would be able to adjust the point at which the warning occurs... speed limit + x MPH/KMh., for example.
I wasn't sure how much of the underlying OS has changed since MY14, so I went looking through the manual for the MY19 XC90, and yes, both of these concerns are (still) non-issues...
page 370: https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/manuals/2019/XC90_OwnersManual_MY19_en-US_TP25803.pdf
or page 140: https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/manuals/2014/2014-Volvo-S60-Owners-Manual.pdf

As for the OP's question, the closest I got to buying German was considering a Mini. A few friends and coworkers have Audis or BMWs (and I'd spent a few hours behind the wheel of a few of them,) but what truly sold me on the Volvo was the sport seat. Everything else I sat in felt like it was engineered for someone 3 inches shorter, and the last thing I need is another thing encouraging or enforcing a slouch... (also, the cost to option-out the S60 for cold weather compared to a 3-series was a lot more digestible.)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts