SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a newb to this forum and Volvo's in general. I am looking at getting into a 2001/2002 volvo s40/v40.

i am having a hard time finding a fast moving forum since i have some questions.

can someone shed some light on the s40/v40 platform in terms of reliability and major trouble stops. are these volvos notorious for certain malfunctions? weak auto transmissions?engine problems? is there certain years that are better than other? certain options i should stay away from?

can someone also take a look at the prices in this website and tell me if they are on par with what everyone pays for maintenance parts. i have dealt many many times with these guys and they have the best prices and quality parts for VW.
http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volvo

also is there any other forums for s40/v40? where does everyone get their aftermarket styling/tuning parts from?

Thanks in advance.
Hopefully i will be in a Volvo really soon

·
Registered
176 Posts
There are some things you need to check out carefully: In my experience (with 3 01s, 2 V40s and aS40) the engine mounts (there´s 3 mounts plus the transmission mount) almost ALWAYS need to be replaced (blame it on the turbo...). Another common problem is the brake pump (the problem is not usually the brake pump but the vaccuum lines). The engine and transmission themselves seem to be pretty rock solid, but you know that it depends on how the previous owners took care of the car.

The turbos are usually good, I never had any problem with the turbos of any of the cars (two of them had the T4 turbo with the 14T mitsubishi turbo - awesome turbo!)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts