SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<br>I am thinking buying a used volvo. S40 or S60? I am going to learn driving. <br>I read some reviews that it looks like S60 is better quality. <p>I find a deal S60 2002, about 80K, ask for 75$, S40 2002, 92K, ask for 5500$. <p>Any suggestions? which one is better deal? What should I do before I pay? Thank you.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: volvo S40, S60 which one is better car? (newcarowner)

I already told you OLD (pre 2004.5) S40's are essentially rebodied Mitsubishis, not great cars<br>The NEW ones are fine but are not in your price range, not much is unless you go older, 98-00.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Re: volvo S40, S60 which one is better car? (JRL)

Greetings JRL,<p>I thought the old S40's were rebodied Mazda 3's.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Re: volvo S40, S60 which one is better car? (newcarowner)

Unless you're buying a certified used vehicle from a Volvo dealer, do the standard: have an independent mechanic check the car out before you buy. Also see if the seller has service records and check if the car has been in any accidents.<p>You say "I am going to learn driving" - do you mean that you are a new driver? The S60 has a fairly large turning radius, it's probably not the best car to learn to do maneuvers like parallel parking and 3 point turns in. It is, however, a "real" Volvo while the pre-2004 S40 is, as JRL says, a Volvo version of a Mitsubishi. It is a good car once you are used to it and are an experienced driver.<p>You might want to get a really cheap but reliable small car, something like an old (1990s) Toyota Corolla, to learn in - then buy an S60 when you're confident.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts