SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am thinking buying a used volvo. S40 or S60? I am going to learn driving.
I read some reviews that it looks like S60 is better quality.

I find a deal S60 2002, about 80K, ask for 75$, S40 2002, 92K, ask for 5500$.

Any suggestions? which one is better deal? What should I do before I pay? Thank you.

·
Registered
63,542 Posts
Re: volvo S40, S60 which one is better car? (newcarowner)

I already told you OLD (pre 2004.5) S40's are essentially rebodied Mitsubishis, not great cars
The NEW ones are fine but are not in your price range, not much is unless you go older, 98-00.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Re: volvo S40, S60 which one is better car? (newcarowner)

Unless you're buying a certified used vehicle from a Volvo dealer, do the standard: have an independent mechanic check the car out before you buy. Also see if the seller has service records and check if the car has been in any accidents.

You say "I am going to learn driving" - do you mean that you are a new driver? The S60 has a fairly large turning radius, it's probably not the best car to learn to do maneuvers like parallel parking and 3 point turns in. It is, however, a "real" Volvo while the pre-2004 S40 is, as JRL says, a Volvo version of a Mitsubishi. It is a good car once you are used to it and are an experienced driver.

You might want to get a really cheap but reliable small car, something like an old (1990s) Toyota Corolla, to learn in - then buy an S60 when you're confident.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.