SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing how the R owners have seen the angle gear problem the most, I thought you would be interested in the response I got from Volvo. I was surprised to see the statement, "Volvo has not had reports of problems with this component." They also got wrong that I have an R - it's a 2.5T AWD (hmmm - is this their form letter to R owners??) Anyway, here is their response:
"We are sorry to learn of the problem that you have experienced with your 2004 Volvo S60 R sedan.
We contacted [the dealer] earlier today to review the concerns expressed in your email. We did receive confirmation of the Angle Gear repair on 4-17-06.
Please note that Volvo has not had reports of problems with this component. Volvo continuously collects data from our authorized retailers as well as customers regarding the performance of our vehicles. Volvo Cars of North America does not have a recall or extended warranty in place for the Angle Gear component. However, should a recall or service campaign be announced on this part at some point in the future; affected customers would be notified of such a campaign by letter.
Please be aware that normal driving patterns should not have an affect on the performance of the Angle Gear.
We understand that this experience is not to your expectation and for that we do apologize. We appreciate your bringing this matter to our attention and for giving us the opportunity to respond. "

If you have had an angle gear issue, you might want to email Volvo about your issue as I did (email: [email protected]). I figure it's in our own best interest long term.
Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Re: Volvo Response to Angle gear repair (Rpark)

Quote, originally posted by Rpark »
Please be aware that normal driving patterns should not have an affect on the performance of the Angle Gear.

Oh Volvo...

·
Registered
403 Posts
You have to remember on the internet you hear everyone from everywhere.
We are one of the larger dealers in California. We have done maybe 2 angle gears on R cars. And we see at least 5-6 R's everyday in the drive. So it isnt such a wide spread issue as it seems on this forum.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Re: (Mike"R")

Quote, originally posted by Mike"R" »
You have to remember on the internet you hear everyone from everywhere.
We are one of the larger dealers in California. We have done maybe 2 angle gears on R cars. And we see at least 5-6 R's everyday in the drive. So it isnt such a wide spread issue as it seems on this forum.

but not everyone is reporting angle gear issue (or not as informative as R forum) So I suspect they're not aware of the problem since in the event of angle gear failure the car is still drivable.

·
Registered
2019 S60 Pine Gray, M. Brown, Lin. Lime
2,934 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Rpark »
...Please note that Volvo has not had reports of problems with this component...

If it is to be taken literally, Volvo should modify this statement after receiving two or more reports.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (Mike"R")

I realize that the total number of failures may be small; however, my point was to please report it to Volvo if you have had this repair; then we know Volvo heard about it.
FWIW, I was completely surprised when mine had to be replaced (at 14.3K miles) as my car is never abused but is driven well within the bounds of "normal" driving. I certainly hope this problem remains merely an anomaly for all Volvo R & AWD owners.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Re: (JimLill)

You have to ask yourself what constitutes a "problem" for a manufacturer. From Volvo's perspective, the expense and ill-will generated by angle gear failures may not have risen above the threshold of pain. After all, they probably have examples of failures for every single part on the car. It's the quantity of failures for a given part that they're watching.

Of course, it's different from the owner's perspective. To the unlucky originator of this post, his angle gear failure rate is 100%!!

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

Typical Volvo reply.

There's also a new tech report about all the other AWD's. Ran in to it by coincidence today, all except the R.

Spline, oil leaking (Condensing), Gear angle and gearbox output shafts and hardness. All is known.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Volvo Response to Angle gear repair (ljjones)

Quote, originally posted by ljjones »
Got a link to that report Johann?

It's a Dutch tech report.

I'm not allowed to share this information anymore, dealer received a kick in the nuts after the exhaust bracket issues and the publication of a tech report on my site at the time.

I still have a freedom of speech so I can tell what my eyes see..

Long story short, Volvo is well aware of the issues with the AWD drivetrain. AWD has had ongoing issues starting the older Visco systems used in the 800 series and the early P2's. First covered under warranty, then customer needs a deep wallet for repairs.

A car is a wear item as a whole. I think that mechanical failures can occur depening on drive style and maintenance behavior and for this I think it is only fair that the customer needs to pull the wallet for certain wear items. Same goes for example for rotors. There was this thread about warped 15K rear rotors last week and someone unwilling to pay for the replacement. Not fair in my eyes. If a dealer is willing to replace under warranty, a one time calculated risk on a new car I think, then the customer is lucky.

But with the issues like ETB, AWD angled gear issues, the stabilizer rods and some other things I think Volvo should cover for most of the repair all time because it is out of the customers hands. It is a pure design flaw and instead of a one time replacement with a better part Volvo keeps installing these flawed parts again and again. Customer can wait for the same problem to happen again.

I have seen situations where customers payed the full repair costs of an angle gear failure twice within 2 years. The part itself, payed replacement is covered with a 1 year warranty, failed shortly after 1 year. Volvo is making a huge profit on customers misery. Even up until present day Euro people have to pay well over 600 Euro's for a failing ETB. This while the problem already has been addressed in the US and I think partially addressed in the UK.

This is what I call screwing the customer, no other words for it.

For this reasons I share the info. I can read it, can't get a hold on the documents themselves.

If you have access to tech documents search for things like hardened or treated gearbox output shafts, Spline ring and hardness, oil seepage or condensation as Volvo calls it of the angle gear etc.

The new 6 speed GT appears to use a harder output shaft. Also some of the XC90 gearboxes have had these changes but I can't recall reading this info about the M66-AWD manual gearbox.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Volvo Response to Angle gear repair (Helmut Ranff)

Not only did I contact Volvo ([email protected]), but I filed a complaint with NHTSA (www.nhtsa.gov). If we all do the same when we run into the angle gear issue, then there will be evidence (esp. at NHTSA) which would bolster our case if it fails a second (or third) time out of warranty.

·
Registered
2019 S60 Pine Gray, M. Brown, Lin. Lime
2,934 Posts

NHTSA would probably be all over it if there was a safety or emissions related connection...

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Volvo Response to Angle gear repair (Mk1Racer)

Quote, originally posted by Mk1Racer »
Can someone describe some of the symptoms of a failing angle gear to me. I think the one on my '98 V70 XC is going (or has gone).

Loss of RWD. With car in air on a lift, you can view the propshaft. It should spin all the time when front wheels move, unless angle gear is shot.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Re: Volvo Response to Angle gear repair (JimLill)

Quote, originally posted by JimLill »

Loss of RWD. With car in air on a lift, you can view the propshaft. It should spin all the time when front wheels move, unless angle gear is shot.

Thanks Jim. Doesn't sound like that's my problem. I'll need to look further. Could be a bad axle/cv joint.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts