Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HAHAHAHA!
What about my instrument cluster???

·
Registered
558 Posts
HAHAHAHA!
What about my instrument cluster???
I heard the 2014's will have a LCD instrument cluster somewhat like the V40. 2014's will have a facelift too.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Maybe this is more tied with European sales? I thought european auto sales were way down. Isn't this sales slowdown affecting lots of other brands too? Ford?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Maybe this is more tied with European sales? I thought european auto sales were way down. Isn't this sales slowdown affecting lots of other brands too? Ford?
Indeed. European sales are way down.

·
Registered
658 Posts
This needs to be seen within the context of the European markets and the planned production reduction across many other brand too. Confirmed production reductions so far from Ford, Fiat, GM, Peugeot, Citroen and Honda.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Send us the V40 and some diesels to try to sell!!! WE CAN HELP!

·
Registered
714 Posts
We sure can! Literally 6 customers in one week not here to look at but actually test drive, 4 V40 customers and 2 V60 customers. It's madness!

·
Registered
695 Posts
This is caused by bean counters running a company who supposedly know more than the customer. They project that it won't sell in the US and so don't sell it. Arghh.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
This is caused by bean counters running a company who supposedly know more than the customer. They project that it won't sell in the US and so don't sell it. Arghh.
On average, I'd bet most bean counters do know more than most customers. They've got more research and more data on their side.

There are times I can't believe the things they decide, but I have to say, in this case, I have to agree with them. I just don't think a V40 or V60 will sell well enough here. Sure, they'll sell some, but just not enough to justify the costs.

IMO, the S60 doesn't even sell well enough. Sure, it's Volvo's best seller here, but at volumes way below what Volvo has normally averaged in the past. As good as Volvos are, even given that they are way way better than any Volvo's of the past, these are the best Volvos ever, the problem IMO is that they are just not up to par with the competition especially for the price that Volvo is still asking. And if the S60 isn't a hot item, I really really doubt a v60 would even do well for it's typical projected sales (what 10-15% wagon sales?), so say 100-200 V60s a month? That would make them Volvo's lowest U.S. volume cars.

IMO, the problem isn't Volvo's bean counters, it's their product managers that are actually designing the product.

·
Registered
558 Posts
On average, I'd bet most bean counters do know more than most customers. They've got more research and more data on their side.

There are times I can't believe the things they decide, but I have to say, in this case, I have to agree with them. I just don't think a V40 or V60 will sell well enough here. Sure, they'll sell some, but just not enough to justify the costs.

IMO, the S60 doesn't even sell well enough. Sure, it's Volvo's best seller here, but at volumes way below what Volvo has normally averaged in the past. As good as Volvos are, even given that they are way way better than any Volvo's of the past, these are the best Volvos ever, the problem IMO is that they are just not up to par with the competition especially for the price that Volvo is still asking. And if the S60 isn't a hot item, I really really doubt a v60 would even do well for it's typical projected sales (what 10-15% wagon sales?), so say 100-200 V60s a month? That would make them Volvo's lowest U.S. volume cars.

IMO, the problem isn't Volvo's bean counters, it's their product managers that are actually designing the product.
All of your comments are probably spot on.

I think the biggest problem we have now is now having really anything new to bring people into the showroom. I have xc90 owners ready to replace their old XC90 but do not want to buy the same thing even though they love it. They want something "new" not refreshed. V40, XC40, V60, V60 Hybrid, or XC60 Hybrid. I would even love for them to put the 2.5T (T5) into the XC60 to replace the 3.2. More power and better fuel mileage. JUST GIVE US SOMETHING NEW!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I think the biggest problem we have now is now having really anything new to bring people into the showroom. I have xc90 owners ready to replace their old XC90 but do not want to buy the same thing even though they love it. They want something "new" not refreshed. V40, XC40, V60, V60 Hybrid, or XC60 Hybrid. I would even love for them to put the 2.5T (T5) into the XC60 to replace the 3.2. More power and better fuel mileage. JUST GIVE US SOMETHING NEW!
Well, all we can do is wait. Next up I think is the next-gen XC90. I really pray that it is not just another S60 like product. The next gen XC90 needs to excel at A LOT MORE things than just safety. I really hope that Sensus (4.0?) is a complete overhaul and far removed from the current Sensus.

I hope that Volvo has ALREADY hired some outside unbiased company to generate a true "HONEST" comparison between what the next-gen XC90 is envisioned to be, and not just the ACTIVE competition, but what one could expect future generations of that active competition to be. They should not just be comparing to the current MDX and X5, but they should be reading the message boards to see what current competition owners are griping about and see if they can beat their competition to the better product sooner.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well, all we can do is wait. Next up I think is the next-gen XC90. I really pray that it is not just another S60 like product. The next gen XC90 needs to excel at A LOT MORE things than just safety. I really hope that Sensus (4.0?) is a complete overhaul and far removed from the current Sensus.

I hope that Volvo has ALREADY hired some outside unbiased company to generate a true "HONEST" comparison between what the next-gen XC90 is envisioned to be, and not just the ACTIVE competition, but what one could expect future generations of that active competition to be. They should not just be comparing to the current MDX and X5, but they should be reading the message boards to see what current competition owners are griping about and see if they can beat their competition to the better product sooner.
The problem with message boards is that to paraphrase Rodney Dangerfield said in Back to School, the last guy who wrote this, he could have been a maniac! Anyone can put anything on a message board, and it doesn't have to be true, and sometimes a bizarre idea gains traction and becomes popular. That's not to say that the internet can't be used to get a sense of what's going on, but it often gives a distorted view of reality.

I do tend to agree with you that you need an outside voice to come in and shake things up. If all you have are the same "internal" people, then you repeat the same mistakes. And I think one of those mistakes is not bringing the V40 to the US. For an automaker that needs something new, this would more than fit the bill. Yeah, you can fall back on the whole "Americans don't buy hatchbacks", but they don't buy station wagons either, and the Subaru Outback seems to do fine here.

This is just me, but I really think they need a replacement for the S40. Something that's smaller than the S60, two door, and around $23,000. A bit more on the expensive side, but not so much that it's out of reach.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The problem with message boards is that to paraphrase Rodney Dangerfield said in Back to School, the last guy who wrote this, he could have been a maniac! Anyone can put anything on a message board, and it doesn't have to be true, and sometimes a bizarre idea gains traction and becomes popular. That's not to say that the internet can't be used to get a sense of what's going on, but it often gives a distorted view of reality.

I do tend to agree with you that you need an outside voice to come in and shake things up. If all you have are the same "internal" people, then you repeat the same mistakes.
I agree that there can be a lot of bad info in message boards. Just need to hire some smart people to weed through all the BS. But I have no doubt that good info is out there. Just as we hope Volvo is monitoring this forum looking for issues to hopefully fix, other manufacturers are doing the same thing in their forums. The really smart manufacturers will monitor other forums too. Just because Volvo hasn't made a particular mistake yet, doesn't mean nobody else has either.

Yeah, you can fall back on the whole "Americans don't buy hatchbacks", but they don't buy station wagons either, and the Subaru Outback seems to do fine here.
IMO, the only reason Outbacks sell well is their price point starting at $23k and that they truly are a functional roomy wagon (twice the cargo space of a V60?). If they started north of 30k or were sized like a V60, I'd bet the picture would be a lot different.

This is just me, but I really think they need a replacement for the S40. Something that's smaller than the S60, two door, and around $23,000. A bit more on the expensive side, but not so much that it's out of reach.
Considering that a C30 starts at $25k, that is going to be tough. I don't disagree with you. It would be nice to see them hit that price point.

·
Registered
558 Posts
A small car less than $25k is going to have too be built somewhere other than Sweden/Belgium. They lose money on the C30 here now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
A small car less than $25k is going to have too be built somewhere other than Sweden/Belgium. They lose money on the C30 here now.
This is where a partnership with another company comes into play. Which we've read recently that Volvo is looking to partner with someone to produce a small car.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Well Alain Visser from Opel is suppose to be in charge of global sales for every country but China. In addition I read in Automotive News that VW is investing $1.3 billion and GM is investing $1 billion into Russia - supposedly the new frontier in car sales. Doug Speck along with Alain must be thinking along the same lines once the new mini Volvo econo model is underway. In the meantime setting up dealerships in Russia or South America for that matter should be a priority. Just saying.

·
Registered
290 Posts

I can't speak for the standard T5 or even T6 S60, especially the former since I haven't compared them to the competition.

However, I was in the market for something sportier to compete with the likes of the Audi S4 or BMW 335i xdrive so I looked into (and ended up buying) the S60 R-Design.
All I can say is that the standard equipment list on the S60 R-Design is exhaustive and very impressive. I could not find anything in its class and price (especially new 2012's which have a nice discount) to compete with its attributes overall - performance, std warranty, 5 year Safe and Sound coverage, safety and std features (sunroof, 18" wheels, AWD, 325 HP Polerstar optimized engine, active bending xenon headlights, HD radio, full complement of airbags etc. - would take far too long to list everything).
The S4 and 335i Xdrive both cost significantly more than the R-D and do not come with Safe and Sound (which includes brake pads and rotor replacement when needed) and performed worse in the offset crash tests.

Too bad the market for the S60 R-D is limited. I think they could market it to a bigger target audience given its price point and overall attributes which could have a wider appeal IMHO, but that's just me (not an expert on car buyers by any means).

·
Registered
412 Posts
We sure can! Literally 6 customers in one week not here to look at but actually test drive, 4 V40 customers and 2 V60 customers. It's madness!
Careful! The last guy who paid attention to this phenomenon got so depressed he stopped doing his job and you had to fire him. :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts