SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OCKLEIGH, N.J. (August 1, 2012) - Volvo Cars of North America, LLC, (VCNA) reported U.S. sales of 5,717 units, a 2.2 percent increase from July 2011. Year-to-date sales are down 3.7 percent over the first seven months of 2011.

The top seller for the month was the award-winning S60 sports sedan with 1,934 units sold, a 22.1 percent increase from July 2011. The XC60 finished the month with 1,782 units sold, the highest monthly volume since its launch, and an impressive 73.2 percent increase from last July.

New Volvo buyers benefit from Volvo's Safe + Secure Coverage Plan. A complimentary program, Safe + Secure wraps a comprehensive list of benefits into one package. Specifically, it provides:
5 years/50,000 miles of New Car Warranty
5 years/50,000 miles of Complimentary Factory Scheduled Maintenance
5 years/50,000 miles of Wear and Tear Coverage
5 years/Unlimited miles of Volvo On Call Roadside Assistance.

United States *
July Year To Date
Models 2012 2011 % 2012 2011 %
S40 0 194 -100% 50 2,668 -98.1%
S60 1,934 1,584 22.1% 14,382 12,632 13.9%
S80 231 463 -50.1% 2,148 2,996 -28.3%
V50 0 29 -100% 0 532 -100%
V70 0 1 -100% 0 23 -100%
XC60 1,782 1,029 73.2% 10,292 8,503 21%
XC70 420 586 -28.3% 3,042 3,156 -3.6%
XC90 773 978 -21% 5,611 6,059 -7.4%
C30 271 312 -13.1% 1,638 1,946 -15.8%
C70 306 419 -27% 3,170 3,383 -6.3%
Total 5,717 5,595 2.2% 40,333 41,898 -3.7%

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
That would be Rockleigh

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Pretty good news, I would say. Better than the previous couple of months.

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
The S80 needs a serious makeover and relaunch ASAP.
FORGET the upcoming 4 Cylinder, IMHO. Drop the 3.2 and put in the T5 from the S60. That should eliminate a lot of the beefs you see here.

Personally, I LIKE the S80. Doesn't mean that it couldn't be improved.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
The actual gains were higher; about 8.7% if you cross off the decline in commercial/fleet sales (use just retail/lease sales and no OSD).

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
I like the S80 as it is. The new sport seats on 2013's are quite nice.

The shifter is quite gimmicky as it is.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The actual gains were higher; about 8.7% if you cross off the decline in commercial/fleet sales (use just retail/lease sales and no OSD).
LOL, "actual". So should we go back now and rediscuss last years numbers since they were "actually" not as good then?

Why didn't you mention this last year when the gains were 30% that the numbers were inflated because of fleet sales?

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-of-North-America-Posts-July-2011-Sales-Gains

And what "would" you do next year "if" sales were up, say, 10% and all because of extra fleet sales. Would you actually really tell people "slow down guys, we didn't do that great, actually, sales really were flat if we remove the fleet sales" ? Somehow, I doubt it.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
The difference with the rental units is minimal. I was looking at strictly US sales and not VCNA sales figures.

There seems to be a discrepancy with the announcement's numbers re: July 2011 numbers vs what the actual numbers are based on what I see in the system. The July 2012 total sales for the US is correct at 5,517. The difference is the July 2011 numbers. The announcement indicates 5,595 vs. what I see in the system as 5,470 which would result in a YoY increase of 4.5% vs the posted 2.2%. Not sure what the 5,517 includes (a delta of 125 units).

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Hey PW you need to go back to remedial cheerleading. You think its easy to put a positive spin on those numbers. Two models show increases and everything else is headed to Davy Jones's locker. The industry is up 14% for the month and Volvo is up 2% which means it is continuing to lose market share. The game plan is to rebuild the brand with five maybe six volume models, the only problem is there aren't five or six volume models in the line up.

Look at it this way. If you only count the XC60 sales are up 70%.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
If the difference in fleet sales is minimal why did you cite it in the earlier post?

I think you are saying the July 2011 number contained in the current announcement is 125 units higher than it should be or at least it is 125 high than your data show. And are you suggesting the difference could be VCNA sales that are non US sales? Canadian, US possessions, OSD, military, diplomatic? I would have thought that Volvo would report sales on a consistent basis given all the scrutiny those numbers receive.

Having said that I know that the games in the industry don't stop at the dealer's door. Like one case where the mfgr just stopped answering the phone and didn't include sales for the last Saturday which it wanted to move into the following month. Of course it could simply be a clerical error, but I would expect given the relative low volumes an error would be easily recognized.

But 125 units a year ago shouldn't cloud the fact that the current numbers are not in fact very good. Down for the year means down for the year. And the same goes for smaller market share.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey PW you need to go back to remedial cheerleading. You think its easy to put a positive spin on those numbers. Two models show increases and everything else is headed to Davy Jones's locker. The industry is up 14% for the month and Volvo is up 2% which means it is continuing to lose market share. The game plan is to rebuild the brand with five maybe six volume models, the only problem is there aren't five or six volume models in the line up.

Look at it this way. If you only count the XC60 sales are up 70%.
Though, another way it could be looked at is if people coming in to buy other Volvo models instead chose the S60/XC60. Though, that's not to say the rest of Volvo's lineup couldn't use a refresh (but as stated by Volvo, that is coming later). Anyways, keep in mind that the rest of the auto industry was NOT increasing in sales as drastically as Volvo was last year, therefore Volvo's minimal sales gains this year merely mean that the rest of the auto industry is catching up in terms of percentage sales gains. In any case, Volvo is doing far better these days than they were just a few years ago. And at least Volvo's sales didn't go into the negative due to fleet sales like GM which saw a 6.8% overall sales decrease due to lack of fleet sales.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Note I said "...just a few years ago."
Ah, "minor" details, Adrian...

In another thread, Sausca wrote

Sausca said:
Let's see what the July numbers bring
So, the July numbers now show a YoY increase and the reversal of the previous months' declines was just small details since it is easy to just keep knocking Volvo because it does not have a premium wagon that costs over $50K (well, it does but not "good enough").

The truth of the matter is that Volvo sales have improved since the Great Recession and the future is looking up. It is still going through the very tough transition that the separation from its 11+-year relationshop with the previous owner caused. A long relationship, with its fully systemic integration does not end cleanly in a few months or even a year or two...especially when all projects were virtually on hold fo 3+ years. But, again, these are just "small details" or "fine print".

In the meantime, a company as large as BMW posted a negative YoY result in July and "I am sure" that the BMW forums are the equivalent of public courtrooms!:cool::D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ah, "minor" details, Adrian...

In another thread, Sausca wrote

So, the July numbers now show a YoY increase and the reversal of the previous months' declines was just small details since it is easy to just keep knocking Volvo because it does not have a premium wagon that costs over $50K (well, it does but not "good enough").

The truth of the matter is that Volvo sales have improved since the Great Recession and the future is looking up. It is still going through the very tough transition that the separation from its 11+-year relationshop with the previous owner caused. A long relationship, with its fully systemic integration does not end cleanly in a few months or even a year or two...especially when all projects were virtually on hold fo 3+ years. But, again, these are just "small details" or "fine print".

In the meantime, a company as large as BMW posted a negative YoY result in July and "I am sure" that the BMW forums are the equivalent of public courtrooms!:cool::D
Of course the big news in July auto sales is the fact that the major Japanese manufacturers saw a big bounce due to 2011 numbers being tsunami affected. In general terms, the European luxury makes did not fare as well as the market overall (with Lexus being up BIG) , so you could argue that Volvo held its own in the month. Of course that argument would be somewhat specious because Volvo's numbers have declined so far that they are starting to be susceptible to large % swings with small numerical changes. Nobody in their right mind would argue that a 5500 (or so) monthly sales number is really sustainable for a major marque, and I doubt Volvo can survive as a specialty marque.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I disagree I believe Volvo could survive as a specialty marque if it went further upmarket in the U.S.

With the current platform offering Volvo needs to hurry up if it intends to sell an XC40 as Toyota has indicated it will sell a new compact SUV most likely based on the RAV4 (I drove one recently and it felt like a cheap piece of tin) but most upwardly mobile professionals seem to put a preference on in car gadgets,apps and LED festoonery over their safety. They just assume if its got an IIHS top safety pick everything is OK or on equal footing.

If Volvo intends to battle it out at its current market level long term it definitely needs a North American plant; my understanding is all the Euro makers are being impacted by a strong euro.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I disagree I believe Volvo could survive as a specialty marque if it went further upmarket in the U.S.

With the current platform offering Volvo needs to hurry up if it intends to sell an XC40 as Toyota has indicated it will sell a new compact SUV most likely based on the RAV4 (I drove one recently and it felt like a cheap piece of tin) but most upwardly mobile professionals seem to put a preference on in car gadgets,apps and LED festoonery over their safety. They just assume if its got an IIHS top safety pick everything is OK or on equal footing.

If Volvo intends to battle it out at its current market level long term it definitely needs a North American plant; my understanding is all the Euro makers are being impacted by a strong euro.
Volvo is less affected by this because the Swedish economy has a somewhat surprising manner of having little fluctuations regardless of what world economic disaster is happening in Europe or the U.S. Also, BMW and Mercedes' sales are down for the year and have been on much lower sales increases (if at all). While the big companies like Fiat/Ford/Government Motors losing billions all over Europe Volvo is staying fairly close to where they were. I'd say that for a small company like Volvo, which doesn't have the massive budgets of any of those other large companies to pull out half a dozen new vehicles every few years (BMW/Audi), is doing well. And keep in mind there's more from where that came from when the XC60 Hybrid and the new XC90 debut. Now, seeing as the reality of Volvo's financial situation is better than several other brands I suggest all the "nay sayers" to head on to their forums to, once again, start blaming everyone and their mothers for their (apparent) failures. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts