V70 0 4 -100% 0 19 -100%
XC60 1,751 1,386 26.3% 6,885 6,125 12.4%
XC70 464 448 3.6% 2,157 2,053 5.1%
XC90 820 885 -7.3% 4,080 4,049 .8%
C30 233 316 -26.3% 1,091 1,299 -16%
C70 488 623 -21.7% 2,028 2,417 -16.1%
Total 6,246 7,359 -15.1% 27,511 29,203 -5.8%
* U.S. totals include Puerto Rico

ROCKLEIGH, N.J. (June 1, 2012) - Volvo Cars of North America, LLC, (VCNA) reported U.S. sales of 6,246 units, a 15.1 percent decrease from May 2011. Year-to-date sales are down 5.8 percent over the first five months of 2011.

The top seller for the month was the award-winning S60 sports sedan with 2,125 units sold, followed by the XC60 with 1,751 units sold.

New Volvo buyers benefit from Volvo's Safe + Secure Coverage Plan. A complimentary program, Safe + Secure wraps a comprehensive list of benefits into one package. Specifically, it provides:

* 5 years/50,000 miles of New Car Warranty
* 5 years/50,000 miles of Complimentary Factory Scheduled Maintenance
* 5 years/50,000 miles of Wear and Tear Coverage
* 5 years/Unlimited miles of Volvo On Call Roadside Assistance.

About Volvo

Volvo Cars of North America, LLC, (www.volvocars.com/us) is a subsidiary of Volvo Car Corp. of Gothenburg, Sweden. VCNA provides marketing, sales, parts, service, technology and training support to Volvo automobile retailers in the United States, and oversees Volvo operations in Canada. For more information please refer to the VCNA media website at: http://www.volvocars-pr.com/, and follow Volvo's blog at: http://www.volvoblog.us/.

*I got this from https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/enhanced/en-us/About/Sales/Current.aspx and https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/enhanced/en-us/Media/Preview.aspx?mediaid=44017

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wonder why it says that the "New S80" had a sales decrease, as far as I know there was only one S80... Hopefully, Volvo has something like that suspected V8 powered S60 and maybe a more powerful C30 and more updates so Volvo can reverse this downward sales trend.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Thanks for posting the numbers. I have been waiting all day for them. I guess when you have good numbers you put them up at 9:00 AM, and if you're Volvo you wait until the end of the day.

Clearly, the VCNA strategy of building the brand with "5 maybe 6" volume models is going nowhere. But of course the geniuses at VCNA have all the answers, and folks like me who pay the freight are just "monday morning quarterbacks."

Let me review the strategy, Americans won't buy wagons and Europeans are buying fewer all the time, performance doesn't sell and neither do halo cars. We know what is good for you, open wide.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The S80 numbers are really confusing. I don't know why it's separated into two different models unless they're trying to find a way to make its sales numbers look better by not having a previous year as comparison (though I don't know why the "all-new" one isn't the one that was apparently sold in May.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Thanks for posting the numbers. I have been waiting all day for them. I guess when you have good numbers you put them up at 9:00 AM, and if you're Volvo you wait until the end of the day.

Clearly, the VCNA strategy of building the brand with "5 maybe 6" volume models is going nowhere. But of course the geniuses at VCNA have all the answers, and folks like me who pay the freight are just "monday morning quarterbacks."

Let me review the strategy, Americans won't buy wagons and Europeans are buying fewer all the time, performance doesn't sell and neither do halo cars. We know what is good for you, open wide.
You are right...the situation sucks...and as a loyal brand supporter - I am very concerned...but you do even more Monday morning quarterbacking...

There are NO 5-6 volume models...there are only 2 - S and XC60...and "more wagons" bandwagon, unfortunately, is a futile proposition too...

Honestly, I do not care whether Volvo sells 70K or 50K per year for as long as the VCNA operations are profitable...this is what I want to know...this is what will keep the brand here, regardless of the actual volume...and for as long as Volvo sells at least one large sedan and one SUV here - my family needs are satisfied...even if I have to order them... I do OSD anyway...

SOOOOO

Does anyone know, if VCNA was in black for the Q1 2012?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

Agree. They really need different types of cars and need to update their lineup. But then again, they did recently change hands from Ford to the Chinese, so I'm sure that must have delayed a few things.

That being said, the S60 T6 is a good performance vehicle- I drove the T6 AWD the other day and came away very impressed. And Volvo now offers Polestar engine tuning which is a nice little start... hopefully the Polestar S60 will become reality.

As long as they are selling cars, I really don't mind if it's not a popular car. Volvos are nice cars- luxurious, safe, good design, so far reliable from my experience and you can get one really cheap new. I saw a lovely S80 at the dealer with a sign that said $6000 off. Buy used? I'm sure depreciation really destroys the value of a Volvo compared to a BMW or Mercedes. And then you can get even more car for even less money.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Agree. They really need different types of cars and need to update their lineup. But then again, they did recently change hands from Ford to the Chinese, so I'm sure that must have delayed a few things.

That being said, the S60 T6 is a good performance vehicle- I drove the T6 AWD the other day and came away very impressed. And Volvo now offers Polestar engine tuning which is a nice little start... hopefully the Polestar S60 will become reality.

As long as they are selling cars, I really don't mind if it's not a popular car. Volvos are nice cars- luxurious, safe, good design, so far reliable from my experience and you can get one really cheap new. I saw a lovely S80 at the dealer with a sign that said $6000 off. Buy used? I'm sure depreciation really destroys the value of a Volvo compared to a BMW or Mercedes. And then you can get even more car for even less money.
You are absolutely right. VCNA's problems are all of its own making. They have all the product they need to be successful. Ford was two years ago, VCNA can't blame Dearborn forever. Marchione has shown what can be accomplished in two years if you have the will to do it. Something as simple as a V70T6 which is readily available would go a long way to getting Volvo back on its feet in NA. To see month over month declines when the NA automobile market is headed to a great year should cause some to the high priced talent in NJ to think about doing the honorable thing.

·
Administrator
55,887 Posts
Here's the sales data in a table:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
What those numbers tell me is that the XC range is what most people really care for in a Volvo. Second thing, although the S60 is relatively successful, there is a significant decrease in sales in the last couple of months, which seems steady, and this is not a good sign, especially as the s60 range has had new additions compared to last year! I think this might be attributed partially to the launch of the new 3 series, which clearly is still percepted as the king of this segment...I wonder what will happen to S60 sales once the ageing Audi A4 is replaced!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
In 2003, if you told me that in 2012 Volvo would still be selling essentially the same XC90 and that it is on a run rate to sell 10,000 in 2012 as a "new" vehicle, I would have said you were crazy. Simply amazing. This is on top of a run rate to sell 16,000 XC60's in 2012, which didn't exist in 2003.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know I'm beating a dead horse on this, and I actually am a Volvo fan - I have a 10 S80T6 Dynamic, etc., but I just think Volvo is really heading down the wrong path with their vehicle mix, a muddled positioning (are we safety, are we performance, are we we economy, are we premium/luxury), and a downright disheartening future. The year over year numbers are a disaster again, and the sales that are occuring, for example with the XC90, are on fumes only in many cases. The "volume" S60 is falling like a stone after only a short time on the market (and it probably nneds to last 10 years given Volvo's model replacement timing)... To think that the premium end of the Volvo line will not have 5cyl or 6cyl engines - only 4s, will kill the brand here in the US. They simply don't have the cost structure to sell volume lower priced vehicles, the high tech 4s will only serve a niche marketplace, and the lack of the smoother running and less thrashy 6cyl alternatives will absolutely marginalize them... Who does Volvo view as the competitors - when doing the driving events with the S60, it was Audi and BMW. The new XC90 will be up against BMW, Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, etc. Volvo seems to be bringing the proverbial knife to gun fights...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I've said this before and some people jump all over me, but I don't care and I'll say it again; Volvo needs to offer a RWD and/or RWD biased AWD. Other than Audi and Acura, pretty much all luxury/near luxury brands, and up and comers like Hyundai, offer RWD and/or RWD biased AWD cars that sell quite well. From what I've read and heard over the last few years, the FWD bloom has wilted a fair bit for those looking for cars other than mere appliances and grocery getters and "hot hatches." I have never understood why Volvo went all AWD as I know from personal experience that when that happened former long-time Volvo fans stopped buying Volvos, many of them going to ... you guessed it ... BMW.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
In 2003, if you told me that in 2012 Volvo would still be selling essentially the same XC90 and that it is on a run rate to sell 10,000 in 2012 as a "new" vehicle, I would have said you were crazy. Simply amazing. This is on top of a run rate to sell 16,000 XC60's in 2012, which didn't exist in 2003.
heh, how long was the 240 sold for?!?

not suprising, volvo finds something and runs with it...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Ignoring the oddity in the S80/All new S80 thing, the S80 did really poorly last month. That's a 53% decline in sales, more than twice the decline of the C30. That's really disappointing considering out of all of their cars I like the S80 the best (as an owner I'm terribly biased).

·
Registered
31 Posts
What those numbers tell me is that the XC range is what most people really care for in a Volvo.
I would disagree. They tell you that buyers don't have a choice. I wanted a V60 and I ended up with an XC60 but honestly after a couple of weeks i regret a little my choice. I am slowly realizing I am not cut for these tall, slow handling SUVs.
Next time I won't compromise. If I cant find a wagon I'll go see somewhere else.
(yes I know the V50 and V70 were not selling but they were older platforms and "old" looking)

·
Registered
31 Posts
To think that the premium end of the Volvo line will not have 5cyl or 6cyl engines - only 4s, will kill the brand here in the US. They simply don't have the cost structure to sell volume lower priced vehicles, the high tech 4s will only serve a niche marketplace, and the lack of the smoother running and less thrashy 6cyl alternatives will absolutely marginalize them... .
A4, 328i, Q5, X3... All are now mostly Turbo 4 engines. I'd trade my 3.2 i6 for a Turbo 4 in a second. If BMW can move to a turbo 4 on their best selling car when the i6 is their trademark, Volvo certainly can as well. I'll take the higher torque, HP and Mpg over a little roughness. Normally aspirated engines are dead ;)

I think it's time to focus on losing some weight instead of adding displacement!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I for one am looking forward to the new 4 bangers. I grew up with 240's, and while I was never winning any drag races, I was also never really drag racing, so the 113bhp naturally aspirated 4 cylinder B230f was plenty to get me where I needed to go. It had little to no issues at all, good mileage with the manual transmission, and the engine was bullet proof. I still have a 240 and will never get rid of it. I'll admit my '08 C30 is more fun to drive, but my old '92 240 wagon with ipd sways and stiffer springs was a great car as well.

I agree as well though Volvo has no image here (in the US). Their safety image is overshadowed by other manufacturers who advertise safety more than Volvo, they don't have the most fuel efficient line up so they can't claim that, they are not more luxururious than mercedez or BMW so they cant claim that. Volvo right now is just....Volvo. no one knows what they are supposed to be.

But as someone else also pointed out, at this point all I care about is that Volvo makes enough of a profit to stay in the US. I have all the Volvos I've always wanted, I got my 240 (wish it was stick, but its a good family car with the auto) and I got my C30 manual. I keep my cars till they die, so as long as these 2 cars keep running, I don't need anything new, so I am willing to wait for Volvo to figure their sh!t out, as long as they don't dissappear before that happens.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
65 Posts
A4, 328i, Q5, X3... All are now mostly Turbo 4 engines. I'd trade my 3.2 i6 for a Turbo 4 in a second. If BMW can move to a turbo 4 on their best selling car when the i6 is their trademark, Volvo certainly can as well. I'll take the higher torque, HP and Mpg over a little roughness. Normally aspirated engines are dead ;)

I think it's time to focus on losing some weight instead of adding displacement!!
Well, the marketplace in the US has responded to the current line-up of Volvos with a resounding vote of no confidence. With the exception of the A4, all of the models you cite offer 6 cyl engines as the upmarket option in the US. The A4, against a backdrop of record US sales here in the US for the brand, was one of the few models to post a decrease. I clearly believe that Audi would sell more A4s here if they continued to offer the V6 as an additional powerplant choice. I am not against 4cyl engines, I just think it's suicide for Volvo to offer them as the SOLE choice, especially on the larger vehicles - XC90, XC60, S80, and even S60 in the future. Additionally, offering only the 240HP 3.2 I6 on the XC90 is killing it here. Yes, there are those like Swimmer240 below, who don't seem to care about performance per se, but the buyers of the future are a demanding lot, and they want both performance and economy and smoothness. Give me a break, even Accord, Altima, Camry offer the 6cyl as a performance option.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Well, the marketplace in the US has responded to the current line-up of Volvos with a resounding vote of no confidence. With the exception of the A4, all of the models you cite offer 6 cyl engines as the upmarket option in the US. The A4, against a backdrop of record US sales here in the US for the brand, was one of the few models to post a decrease. I clearly believe that Audi would sell more A4s here if they continued to offer the V6 as an additional powerplant choice. I am not against 4cyl engines, I just think it's suicide for Volvo to offer them as the SOLE choice, especially on the larger vehicles - XC90, XC60, S80, and even S60 in the future. Additionally, offering only the 240HP 3.2 I6 on the XC90 is killing it here. Yes, there are those like Swimmer240 below, who don't seem to care about performance per se, but the buyers of the future are a demanding lot, and they want both performance and economy and smoothness. Give me a break, even Accord, Altima, Camry offer the 6cyl as a performance option.
It's a death wish.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts