SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ROCKLEIGH, N.J. (Sept. 4, 2012) - Volvo Cars of North America, LLC, (VCNA) reported U.S. sales of 6,323 units, a 21.2 percent increase from August 2011, and the highest August monthly volume since 2007. Year-to-date sales are down 1 percent over the first eight months of 2011.

The top seller for the month was the award-winning S60 sports sedan with 2,038 units sold, a 32 percent increase from August 2011. The XC60 crossover finished the month with 1,898 units sold, doubling sales from last August, and for the second month in a row, set a new monthly sales record.

New Volvo buyers benefit from Volvo's Safe + Secure Coverage Plan. A complimentary program, Safe + Secure wraps a comprehensive list of benefits into one package. Specifically, it provides:
5 years/50,000 miles of New Car Warranty
5 years/50,000 miles of Complimentary Factory Scheduled Maintenance
5 years/50,000 miles of Wear and Tear Coverage
5 years/Unlimited miles of Volvo On Call Roadside Assistance.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/enhanced/en-us/About/Sales/Current.aspx

I got all this info from here: https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/enhanced/en-us/Media/Preview.aspx?mediaid=45649 and here: https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/enhanced/en-us/About/Sales/Current.aspx

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Here is the model breakdown:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
This is great! :) I heard Merc Benz was up only 13% ;)

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
This is great! :) I heard Merc Benz was up only 13% ;)
I think the s80 should be given priority for replacement as its clearly the bad apple of the volvo lineup; it doesnt seem likely though as the first vehicle to benefit from the new SPA has been announced to be the xc90 which will start production in 2015!!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I think the s80 should be given priority for replacement as its clearly the bad apple of the volvo lineup; it doesnt seem likely though as the first vehicle to benefit from the new SPA has been announced to be the xc90 which will start production in 2015!!!
Which is funny considering how much newer the S80 is compared to the XC90. One of the S80s issues however is lack of marketing and awareness. I'm biased since I own one but I don't think the design is as dated as the sales numbers would suggest. Most people I've come across just see it as a Volvo (as opposed to a specific model) but many have also said how surprised they are because it looks nothing like a Volvo. It's kind of surprising considering the C30, C70, S60 and XC60 also don't look like the "Volvo" most people still envision. Everyone still has this slow, boxy image of their cars in their minds.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Everyone still has this slow, boxy image of their cars in their minds.
Which is sad because that is no longer what Volvos are. We need to keep buying/putting the newer sexier models on the road and in commercials to help it change.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which is sad because that is no longer what Volvos are. We need to keep buying/putting the newer sexier models on the road and in commercials to help it change.
My thoughts exactly, people think of Audi as one of the sexiest brands today even though they were making turbo boxes just like Volvo was but the the only difference is that the old boxy Audis have already been sent to junk yards while the old Boxy Volvos are still running on. Sad how the company who bothers to make the reliable ones is seen as boring....

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
My thoughts exactly, people think of Audi as one of the sexiest brands today even though they were making turbo boxes just like Volvo was but the the only difference is that the old boxy Audis have already been sent to junk yards while the old Boxy Volvos are still running on. Sad how the company who bothers to make the reliable ones is seen as boring....
I absolutely love to see it written that way! It is true, people assume Volvo's are boring because of exactly that. Volvo needs to put that in a commercial. Its like trident gum... they have flavor all day so they have to find a reason to make its customers spit it out.

Volvo's last SOOOO long (17 years on average) that they stick around to the point that Volvo has a larger share of road going vehicles than their sales records would indicate. Volvo should point out that their vehicles are everywhere, even with low sales, because of the superior quality and survivability that is built into every car. Add a certain quirkiness that makes its owner fall in love with it and you have cars that are maintained better and longer. I truly believe the S60 is better looking than the A4 and 3 series, and pointing that out, along with the obvious fact that it is SAFER, and is a better value and you have quite a good argument going for you.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have stated this in a previous thread but I think an update of the current S80 repositioning it as a sports sedan could bump sales, drop the base inline six and put in a updated 5cylinder with 300HP mated to AWD as the base power train and offer the R-Design tuned T6 325, 354LB of torque six as above it (actually more power than that would be nice). Tune the suspension for more performance oriented handling.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
I have stated this in a previous thread but I think an update of the current S80 repositioning it as a sports sedan could bump sales, drop the base inline six and put in a updated 5cylinder with 300HP mated to AWD as the base power train.
Friend of mine drives an S80 2.5T with a Focus RS K16 turbo added. Engine does little over 300 bhp, still FWD. KW suspension and 19" rims added. Awesome car to drive. Combined with R-Design steering it would be even better.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Friend of mine drives an S80 2.5T with a Focus RS K16 turbo added. Engine does little over 300 bhp, still FWD. KW suspension and 19" rims added. Awesome car to drive. Combined with R-Design steering it would be even better.
Lets be real now, NOBODY's gonna buy a volvo, especially an s80 coz its a good sports sedan, even if it handled good - which is not so easy given the old platform and FWD - when they have bmw (rwd, 50-50) or audi (awd & image). What volvo needs to do is emphasize luxury, refinement, technology and uniqueness.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
What volvo needs to do is emphasize luxury, refinement, technology and uniqueness.
They have been trying for years but managed to make a duller sub premium product. With Mr. Jacoby living outside reality I guess this isn't going to change soon.
Volvo might think they are offering luxury and refinement but the reality is that the competition didn't sleep and are offering very good products which are pretty much equal to current Volvo's but which do not carry a premium badge.

Reality is when downsizing is high on the list a 5 cylinder should do better than a 6 cylinder. Specially after more than 25 years of development on the 5 cylinder. Before the "restart" the 5 cylinder ended at 300+ HP from 2.5 ltr. (Close to 350 when counting the RS500) yet the 3.0 6 cylinder appears to be well done below that number with considerable more complex technology.

Reality is that the 5 cylinder had uniqueness written all over it. Audi was clever enough to jump in when it became obvious Volvo wanted to drop the 5 cylinder.

And last but certainly not least, engine power is also a safety feature.

·
Registered
719 Posts
On the S80, the numbers are a shame (like BD I'm biased), the platform is not that dated and I also do not believe it is marketed effectively. I bought the 3.2, FWD on purpose and probably would have ended up with something different if the only option was AWD (we had the 02 XC70 at the time and I did not want two AWDs). It could use the sports image to the advantage, think Heico level cars, but it should use it carefully and along with the exec model...and bring back the fracking V8 option (I may have bought an 8 had they been available after 07).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts