SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my C70 last week and my salesman mentioned the Polestar tuning option to me. My first thought was why didn't Volvo sell this car with the proper tuning in the first place:mad:, at least then it would compete a little better with the BMW 328 vert.
In any event do those of you that have polestar think it is worth the steep price tag? My dealer will not discount the $1295 at all.

Thanks!
Bob

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Just picked up my C70 last week and my salesman mentioned the Polestar tuning option to me. My first thought was why didn't Volvo sell this car with the proper tuning in the first place:mad:, at least then it would compete a little better with the BMW 328 vert.
In any event do those of you that have polestar think it is worth the steep price tag? My dealer will not discount the $1295 at all.

Thanks!
Bob
Couple of things: A) I don't believe I've read any post suggesting the Polestar was a disappointment. Also haven't read that anyone believes the price is a bargain. ;) 2) You should receive a new owners accessory discount coupon that could be applied to the Polestar, should you decide to add it. Our coup was for 15% off 'accessory' price...not including labor and limited to $150. I still haven't pulled the trigger on our C70. Spending >$800 on tires for the XC60 tomorrow...gonna wait until that wound heals a bit before Polestar-ing the C70.

·
Registered
413 Posts
im not adding to polestar to mine. its not cheap and i dont think it will make much difference to resale value. i also dont think the car is suited to more power, its got worse torque steer than my MK1 C70 T5.
I paid full price for mine. I am happy with my purchase. If you look up the other thread on the Polestar upgrade, I put in a detailed review. I will say that a recent ride in my friends 2010 M3 somewhat "detuned" the feel of the upgrade a bit, but there is a big difference between 414 and 253 hp. :)

I cannot image being happy going back to the state the car was before the upgrade.

·
Registered
647 Posts
See my comments in this thread
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?160897-PoleStar-Engine-Tune-for-existing-C70s/page2

After 3+ months I can tell you that I am extremely satisfied. Polestar is an outstanding combination of performance, fuel economy and warranty peace of mind. Yes, it should be standard on all C70s and $1300 is steep, but please read what I wrote in the other thread regarding rebates. At a minimum you definitely can get the New Owner $150 rebate (register your car to get the coupon). Try calling one or more local dealers' service departments for coupons -- some dealers have 10% coupons out there that may be usable towards this purchase. You can also call Volvo customer service for an accessories rebate coupon (I got a $100 rebate), and there may be other spring accessories offers coming. Using various rebates I got my cost down to around $800-900. You may not be able to duplicate my experience, but even at $1150 (including the New Owners Rebate) I still believe Polestar is absolutely worth it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See my comments in this thread
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?160897-PoleStar-Engine-Tune-for-existing-C70s/page2

After 3+ months I can tell you that I am extremely satisfied. Polestar is an outstanding combination of performance, fuel economy and warranty peace of mind. Yes, it should be standard on all C70s and $1300 is steep, but please read what I wrote in the other thread regarding rebates. At a minimum you definitely can get the New Owner $150 rebate (register your car to get the coupon). Try calling one or more local dealers' service departments for coupons -- some dealers have 10% coupons out there that may be usable towards this purchase. You can also call Volvo customer service for an accessories rebate coupon (I got a $100 rebate), and there may be other spring accessories offers coming. Using various rebates I got my cost down to around $800-900. You may not be able to duplicate my experience, but even at $1150 (including the New Owners Rebate) I still believe Polestar is absolutely worth it.
Thanks for the info. I called Volvo Customer Service today and they are sending me the $150 coupon. I am going to try working on my dealer again for a discount or coupon as well. I will definitely go for it if $1000 or less. I am also thinking of an upgraded rear sway bar and front strut brace.
I will report back with my impressions after I have the tune completed.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
im not adding to polestar to mine. its not cheap and i dont think it will make much difference to resale value. i also dont think the car is suited to more power, its got worse torque steer than my MK1 C70 T5.
My C70 T5 MY12 is tuned by Polestar. 235/40 R18 Pirelli P Zero Rosso 3,0 bar in each tire. It has more tqs than my V60 T6 R-design Polestar, but not that much to bother me at all.

C70 T5 really needs the Polestar tune. Big difference!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Polestar...What a Difference!

Great increase in performance. Noticably more low end torque. I switched to premium gas and am getting 2 more mpgs than before the polestar upgrade. Overall very happy. :) Now if only the car handled a little better.
Any thoughts on the best mod to make to improve handling at a reasonable cost??

·
Registered
647 Posts
Great increase in performance. Noticably more low end torque. I switched to premium gas and am getting 2 more mpgs than before the polestar upgrade.
Yes, the performance kick with premium fuel is significant. I was initially surprised by this, but it is so addictive :cool: that I have now switched to 93 octane all the time. The cost is somewhat mitigated by a fuel efficiency improvement of 1-2 mpg.

Now if only the car handled a little better. Any thoughts on the best mod to make to improve handling at a reasonable cost??
I also agree and find it a bit sloppy under hard cornering. Not awful, but just not tight enough if you hit any bumps while cornering. (so far I am liking the 18" Pirellis P6s) Very soon I will be installing a front strut brace as an inexpensive handling upgrade. I will report back in this thread:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?172174-C70-Strut-Brace

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have thought about the polestar. The dealer wants $1400. I asked about a discount. I have bought 5 cars from this dealer group. The service guy says the price is set by Volvo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Polestar cost

If you call Volvo customer service they will send you a $200 rebate that you can use on any volvo accessory. Also, you should be able to work your dealer down $100 to 150. I ended up paying $925. If your dealer will not budge try another dealer. That's what I did.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm still experiencing the mega-lag when engaging WOT at moderate speeds(entry ramp accel, pulling into 65mph traffic, etc). NOT real pleased at this point. 15K mile check is later this week or early next. I would be seriously disappointed if I paid for Polestar and this problem persisted. I'm going to wait for the results of any new 'flashing' the dealer might try on our problem. Polestar could still be in our future.

·
Registered
647 Posts
ditto to what tiger650 wrote

coach, sorry to hear the lag is still there. FWIW, I just hit 16k miles and still very pleased with Polestar. For my 15k service a few weeks ago, I had a 2012 C70 as a loaner - no polestar and regular 17" wheels. It was interesting to go "back in time" to pre-polestar. I missed the power, but the taller aspect ratio 17" tires are certainly easier on the tailbone when driving our wonderful New England roads. The 17" Continental tires with only 2k miles were also quieter than the 18" Pirelli P6s.

separately, I am about to instal the Volvo OEM strut brace and will post pics and some tips in the strut brace thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
regtor,
Can't wait to see your strut brace install. I would like to do this mod as well.

ditto to what tiger650 wrote

coach, sorry to hear the lag is still there. FWIW, I just hit 16k miles and still very pleased with Polestar. For my 15k service a few weeks ago, I had a 2012 C70 as a loaner - no polestar and regular 17" wheels. It was interesting to go "back in time" to pre-polestar. I missed the power, but the taller aspect ratio 17" tires are certainly easier on the tailbone when driving our wonderful New England roads. The 17" Continental tires with only 2k miles were also quieter than the 18" Pirelli P6s.

separately, I am about to instal the Volvo OEM strut brace and will post pics and some tips in the strut brace thread.

·
Registered
647 Posts
For those of you in eastern Massachusetts, Boston Volvo Village just sent me a $100 coupon for the Polestar install (expires 7/31/2012). PM me and I can send it to you.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Polestar required

Old time R tuning would be a lot better though. Couldn't pull past a Honda Accord V6 coupe. Of course, even with a 20 hp advantage, he couldn't pull past me, either. Car would be unbearable without Polestar.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Old time R tuning would be a lot better though. Couldn't pull past a Honda Accord V6 coupe. Of course, even with a 20 hp advantage, he couldn't pull past me, either. Car would be unbearable without Polestar.
And, I suspect the C70 is considerably heavier than the Accord coupe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know why the 2006-2007 c70s aren't eligeble for the polestar upgrade? I have a 07 and would seriously think about getting it if avaliable.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts