SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
>> translate.google.com
Volvo has a lot of exciting things happening if we are to believe the head of development Peter Mertens. In an interview with German auto motor und sport, he reveals a lot of interesting details - and deliver a broadside against Audi. "We set the standard for diesel technology," he says.

Interview: Volvo Development hints about new Polestar Models
Share on Facebook
Tweet
By Erik Soderholm, 2016-01-09 08:22

Combustion engines are not calculated - they have a great potential in terms of effectiveness, according to Peter Mertens.

"I do not see any big leap forward for internal combustion engines, as with the introduction of direct injection and turbocharging. But when it comes to diesel engines, we are raising the injection pressure significantly, and we can control the intake much more accurate. Together with our partner Denso, we set the standard for diesel technology."

"We are also working on a three-cylinder engine that gets very good performance and efficiency. If we have to achieve average emissions of 75 grams per kilometer for our models, it will only be possible with a mixture of gasoline, diesel and electric power."

Small engines tend to have high consumption in reality - as we have seen time and again in our tests, where the consumption figure by the manufacturers themselves state are often much lower than the consumption in reality.

It seems Peter Mertens did not have a good answer, but refers instead to a different technology where consumption difference is often greater than that of petrol and diesel cars.

"We will offer our three-cylinder gasoline engine in a hybrid version. It will have a very positive effect on consumption."

Volvo chose a rear axle with leaf springs to the XC90 and S90. "We reminded us of our history: we used the solution in the Volvo 960. Then there were of course no composite materials without steel springs. This design saves space and weight and provides a large luggage space. We have developed this technology and can offer something that no other have, "says Peter Mertens.
The diesel engine has a place in the future ...

• What will happen with diesel engines?
"Despite the debate going on right now, I am totally convinced that the diesel engine will have a place in the future. In my opinion, diesel cars are not losing market share. But if it should happen, we get probably the least problems of all car manufacturers. We produce all engines both petrol and diesel, with a high percentage of common components and can easily adapt our capacity to demand. "

• Which transmissions are best suited for the new engine generation?
"We basically need four gearboxes. The manual gearbox will continue to be important. Then we have the dual clutch transmission and two automatic transmissions, one for low torque and a high."

• Have Volvo afford all the different transmissions?
"Yes, absolutely. We just need to relax every Transmission with an engine family."

Peugeot and Citroën were early with a diesel hybrid, but the technology is now closed at PSA. The Volvo looking to scrap the diesel hybrid - globally speaking, it is easier to sell a gasoline hybrid.
... but the diesel hybrid hanging loose

• For which technologies will be known Volvo 2020?
"For electrification, and driverless operation. Partially autonomous driving, we are developing steadily and in terms of electrification, we are among the absolute market leaders."

• How will the development of battery technology, you think?
"Right now we see quite acceptable costs. But the price must be understood to fall even more. I think we will continue with lithium-ion batteries - with our own 'assembly' to lower the cost and increase capacity. We need to develop a plug-in hybrid that does not cost more than a diesel and we are well on our way. This also makes the mild hybrid systems and 48-volt technology is important and we are working on both. "

• Will there be any more diesel hybrid?
"Technically there is no problem with the SPA platform but it is not decided yet. Globally, it is not quite optimal. With the V60, we wanted to make a statement and it was a very 'Swedish' projects."

• How would an electric car from Volvo look like?
"We must of course be able to offer a reasonable range, ie about 50 mil. It would be a compact car. I could imagine a car based on the next generation of 60 series."

"I can say this: We are copying no one, neither Tesla or Nissan Leaf. In terms of design, safety and comfort, we go our own way."

• How will the next generation self-propelled cars from Volvo?
"This area is under constant development. In 2017 we start a trial on public roads in and around Gothenburg. The cost makes this technology is only in the upper classes. Naturally, these systems later also to the compact class, but then the cost is reduced by one third compared to today. "

Development manager not dismissing the idea of ​​a real Polestar version of the S90. The only question is what goes under the hood.
New performance model - perhaps a Tesla Challenger?

• Are there any alternatives to the BMW M or Mercedes-AMG?
"Volvo has taken a strategic decision to completely take over our partner Polestar. We build the brand and invest heavily. Therefore, I can imagine that there will be a sharper version of the S90. With the hybrid drive can give V8 engines a pretty tough match . "

• However, a new version of Polestar Volvo S90 gets no more than four cylinders?
"No, definitely not. The model can be either an electric motor and an internal combustion engine or only an electric drive."

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
OK. So nothing more to look forward to when it comes to performance.

Polestar appears to be the new R-Design.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
They didn't talk about the 450HP tri-turbo machine? Supposedly it is being worked on to fit into some P* cars.
I think an optimized and more powerful version of the T8 unit would be more reliable and could possibly push 500 hp, maybe more. Optimize the T6 drive-e in the front and add a larger output electric drive in the rear.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I think an optimized and more powerful version of the T8 unit would be more reliable and could possibly push 500 hp, maybe more. Optimize the T6 drive-e in the front and add a larger output electric drive in the rear.
But twin engine with bulk battery is still much more expensive than one gas engine, and heavier.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wow, leaf springs on the S90. The only vehicle I would purchase with leaf springs would be a pickup truck. I hope the rest of the lineup isn't saddled with this same suspension setup. Thoroughly disappointing. So much for competing with the rest of the European manufacturers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts
Wow, leaf springs on the S90. The only vehicle I would purchase with leaf springs would be a pickup truck. I hope the rest of the lineup isn't saddled with this same suspension setup. Thoroughly disappointing. So much for competing with the rest of the European manufacturers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not like the Corvette uses a similar setup... right? Quite the pickup truck ain't it? It is a reverse / transverse leaf. Not longitudinal and upward as in a truck or pickup

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not like the Corvette uses a similar setup... right? Quite the pickup truck ain't it? It is a reverse / transverse leaf. Not longitudinal and upward as in a truck or pickup
They are found on Corvettes but not all Corvettes. There is also a booming business of selling coil replacement kits for Corvettes. Also, the Corvette is not a european sport sedan. When the rest of the european market reconsiders their stance on fully independent, coil suspensions then I'll reconsider. There are advantages to a transverse leaf setup. Packaging, cost, and roll control but there is a reason why it's not found on more than a handful of cars on the market.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts